Stolen Bike

windfall

I hadn't been in the garage for a while until yesterday, and when I went out there, my girl's 1.25 Sherco wasn't there. As far as I know, it's the only 1.25 Sherco in SE Michigan, so if anyone spots one anywhere near the Detroit metro area please E-mail me at randy.arndt AT gm.com so I can get the police to investigate.

I know the anger and pain you're going through right now, I had to go through it a couple of months ago. Some expensive lessons I learned:

1. Homeowners insurance will not cover dirt bikes. Go to Progressive Insurance (USA) and buy a special policy for your dirt bikes.

2. Garage door openers are the easy way in and a . If you do not park your vehicle in the garage, get those openers in the house. Buy deadbolts for the garage door itself, and still use the locking feature on the button in the garage. You can also unplug the entire door opener from the wall when not in use. We have since re-routed the dog doors to go through the garage. My rather large Akita dog kind of likes to hang out in the garage these days.

3. Don't expect much sympathy from the police or your non-riding acquaintences. The riding community however will all, every man, woman and child understand your situation and will keep an eye out for your bike. Trials bikes are so unique there is a good chance it will still show up.

4. Make up a flyer describing the bike and get it out to as many of the bike shops in your area, particularly the parts desk. Again you will have a sympathetic ear and these guys will post your flyer in the back and keep an eye out. I've made a point to buy something from each shop that took my flyer since. Also check ebay, it just might show up there as a whole bike or parts.

Hope you get it back.

I've made up posters with photos, and put them up at the local convenience stores and will be taking some to all the local bike shops tonight.

I suspect it was local kids and they most likely dumped it in the woods somewhere around here.

I've already gone through the thing with insurance, I had my WR250 stolen Aug '02 on vacation, luckily I got that back.

I saw the post w/pic from Dist. 14 Email today. Sorry to hear about it. The only good thing about it, (If there is one) The most conspicuous and unusual looking bike was taken. Any motocross bike would be much easer to conceal or sell. Trials bikes are so rare that they always draw attention.

Hopefully the thieves will realize the very stupid mistake they have made and dump it somewhere unharmed.

Let us know if it turns up.

• 3 months later...

Mine was the orange, it was originally sold to someone in Montana. There is one (that I know of) orange 200 in MOTA also. I hope everyone around here understands if someone questions them about where they got an orange Sherco. :wacko: