Are They Really That Bad?

tombo46

Im thinking about selling my 2006 Beta and getting a 2007 gasgas 250, however the only thing that puts me off them is countless people telling me that they fall to bits!! is this true? if so, what goes wrong with them?

they look schweeeet.

Tom

Unfortunately, I can't really answer your question since I've had my 2007 TXT Pro 300 for about 3 days. I've only ridden it on the street and all I can say is that is feels sooo much better than my 2002 315r.

I had the same apprehension you have about the Gasgas, some people swear by them, others say is junk, so I decided to find out by myself.

hey well ive had a gas gas 2006 bike for nearly two years now and it hasn`t fallen to bits, ive had to replace chains etc like on any other bike but there is only two problems and if you get a new one i would do them streightr away one is to weld the footpeg brackets up and make them stronger otherwise they may crack if you use the bike alot and ride hard and secondly i have also had to weld the brackets on the exhaust middlebox up as they snap aswell but am told they snap on quite a few bikes so thats not as much of a problem but get them strengthened aswell but overall i would say that they are just like any other bike, if you look after them they will look after you but if ya dont then they may well fall to bits as wid any other bike i suppose.

but overall i would say that gassers are a lovely bike and have sh*t loads of power once you get the throttle cracked open and feel so light and manouverible when riding they are awesome from my point of veiw

No they're not that bad, it's just that people who've had bad experiences always seem to make the most noise.

Just like people who've had BETA REV3 STATORS GO seem to make a lot of noise too......

and they're not that bad either... are they? :huh:

I would liken it to Skoda :huh:

Nowadays I think they're pretty much the same as all the rest of the manufacturers. They had a bad patch a few years ago - 2002 in particular and they're just getting over that.

you're going to get a bad one every now and then, same as most manufacturers, but generally no problems.

No they are not that bad ,

I had 04 Raga I have now just sold , I sold it because it is time for something different (4rt ) ,

04 did not break or fall apart , But I would say I did more mainternce than I have I any off my past bikes ,

You just have to keep a eye on things as they do seem to come undone ,

But saying that I would say the best bike to buy for performance ,

Cheers

I had an 07 250 Gasser.It was very enjoyable to ride, light and easy to throw around. However it was a b****** to start. Some of my friends simply couldn't get it to fire up at all. It was checked out by good mechanics who said sometimes with GG you get a bad starter! I sold it in the end.

NO NO NO

They are not bad at all.

I have had 6 Gassers ranging from 1994 250 up to 2004 Raga Rep

They have all been absolutely fine. All I would recommend is

after every wash - cover in WD40 then check all the nuts/bolts/screws etc etc - I never even had any problems with the airboxes. Cleaned it out other 2-3 trials and thats it.

I agree with Scorpa3 they have had problems in the past (2002 when the revolutionary TXT Pro came out) however they are now as good as anyone in 2 stroke trials.

Every manufacturer has problems - PERIOD

I now ride a Beta and cant say it's any better built than my Raga Rep

PLUS they are the easiest bike to ride by far - GO FOR IT

my mate had a gasser after a beta and he hated it, the amount of crap that gets in the airbox is unreal,

the maintenance was to much, he is back on a beta now.

Obviously his airbox wasnt sealed up like most people do , silicone it all round the edge get the wider mud flap and tape over the drainage hole at the bottom , only bit that comes in is if the rubber seal has gone around the lid , which is basically the same on a beta and any other bike plus on your gasser you have a flap which if any crap does come through it lands on there.

p.s i have an 07 280 and its not fallen to bits yet :huh: *touch wood*

Yes, they all do have problems in some way or other plus individual bikes sometimes suffer more than they should.

I switched from a 2 year old Gas Gas which I'd had from new because all of a sudden things started to wear out all at once, despite meticulous maintenance.

I swapped to a new Beta Rev 3 and the stator packed in twice in three trials; so as far my experience goes, the Gas Gas started showing it's age at two years and the Beta at Three trials!

I know that's not a fair revue of each marque... it just goes to show how peoples opinions and experiences do differ. Every bike will have it's bad points, just try to weigh them up for your budget and requirements in an objective manner.

Yes, they all do have problems in some way or other plus individual bikes sometimes suffer more than they should.

I switched from a 2 year old Gas Gas which I'd had from new because all of a sudden things started to wear out all at once, despite meticulous maintenance.

I swapped to a new Beta Rev 3 and the stator packed in twice in three trials; so as far my experience goes, the Gas Gas started showing it's age at two years and the Beta at Three trials!

I know that's not a fair revue of each marque... it just goes to show how peoples opinions and experiences do differ. Every bike will have it's bad points, just try to weigh them up for your budget and requirements in an objective manner.

I had six shercos but only had two problems, the thermostat went in 03 I think and the 04 a stator went. The thermostat was changed for a gas gas one which was 100% reliable. Sherco changed to this the next year anyway.

People used to say that the mains were suspect but they never were on mine.

The gas gas that I have had have been very reliable 06 and 07, one minor problem with a clutch master cylinder (ajp part not gas gas) and they have been fine except when I filled one up with water, my fault!

If your dealer in his pdi does the airbox they are very very good there. I honestly believe that with some care and preparation they are as good as any other make. If you don't want to spend a few hours in the workshop buy a montesa its the only bike you can wash and leave alone completely.