Ty 250 Footpeg Re Positioning. (t Shock)

andy m

I have trawled about 13 pages to find info but no joy. Which is the best kit available to reposition TY 250 twin shock pegs. I know Millers do a bolt on kit, are there any better ones available, it seems good value but the kid on the phone was not too sure whether it lowered them by much. :P

PS its a Yam framed Majesty.

If you can wait till tomorrow night I'll measure the difference as I have a standard Ty as well as the modded one I ride.What I'd like to know is all the exact differences between a Majesty frame,(early type) and the standard one.(I'd like to build my own out of the spare bike)

I haven't seen a bolt on kit for the TY250 TS from Millers. They do a bolt on kit for TY175 and they make a universal kit that requires you to make mounting plates.

The B&J Racing TY250 TS kit is a bolt on and requires the original mounting lugs to be cut off. It comes with mounting plates and lowers the pegs about 25mm. Any lower and the underside of the pegs would be below the frame. There is a good photo of them mounted on a bike on their website.

I have trawled about 13 pages to find info but no joy. Which is the best kit available to reposition TY 250 twin shock pegs. I know Millers do a bolt on kit, are there any better ones available, it seems good value but the kid on the phone was not too sure whether it lowered them by much. :P

PS its a Yam framed Majesty.

I have the Sammy Miller foot rest kit on my bike.

They lower them about an inch and put the foot rests position an inch further back.

The only down side is that the brackets are a bit weak and if you catch them on anything, they bend in and back!

I have to straighten mine everytime I ride the bike. (F*ckin' annoying)

I did a road trial last weekend and the only tools I had in my back pack were a lump hammer and a length of ally flat bar!

They lower them about an inch and put the foot rests position an inch further back.

I'm confused by this too as I've never seen a footrest kit for the TY250 in the Miller catalogue - not saying there isn't one, just never seen one advertised.

They usual way to fit lowered rests (assuming you can't get a Miller kit) is to cut off the exisitng hangers and then drill into what's left of the lug on the frame and tap an 8mm thread. At the bottom of the frame there is a horizontal tube running from side to side at the rear/bottom of the engine. Sometimes this has a plug in either end with an 8mm thread, sometimes it is just an open tube. If the latter, weld an 8mm thread nut onto either end of the tube. The original footrest lug and the horizontal tube now offer two mounting points for a bracket to be bolted to the frame and to the bracket you can weld on your new footrest mounts. Positioning is down to personal preference but don't go too far backwards as you will make the front end too light. What I normally do is just put enough weld on to support my weight initially, then try the bike round the garden to get a feel for whether they are positioned ideally for me or not. If not it is then relatively quick to just remove the bit of weld and reposition. Trial and error really. Personally I wouldn't move them back any further than 1" and don't go lower than the bottom of the bashplate.

If you search under 'Majesty TY footrests' or something similar in both the twinshock and Yamaha forums you should be able to find other topics on this but expand the search to cover the last 12 months if that is possible as it isn't a recent topic as far as I can recall. There is definitely something on it somewhere.

What I'd like to know is all the exact differences between a Majesty frame,(early type) and the standard one.(I'd like to build my own out of the spare bike)

If you search in either the Yamaha or Twinshock forums for Majesty Frame, or something similar, you should find previous topics on this.

Briefly, the rear shocks were angled by mounting top mount further down frame tube and moving bottom mount rearwards slightly. Swingarm length unaltered.

Frame had the entire engine cradle lifted by 2" by (something like this) cutting 2" out of the top of the vertical tubes forming the V from the footrests up to the top frame tubes and by removing 2" from the bottom of the front down tubes. As the engine now sits 2" higher in the frame, it is necessary to cut away part of the frame bracing behind the toolbox compartment as the the sparkplug will now foul it due to the raised engine. The exhaust height needs to be shortened by 2" by cutting a piece out of the vertical part and welding back together. Steering headstock angle wasn't altered (on normal production/customer bikes)

I bought a bunch of old nos yamaha parts and there where a couple of relacating kits included.I have one left but it is missing one side plate and a bolt or two.I do have the parts and instruction sheet.If you would like I can scan sheet and e-mail you the instructions.It also has a longer brake pedal that comes with the kit.JR

What I'd like to know is all the exact differences between a Majesty frame,(early type) and the standard one.(I'd like to build my own out of the spare bike)

If you search in either the Yamaha or Twinshock forums for Majesty Frame, or something similar, you should find previous topics on this.

Briefly, the rear shocks were angled by mounting top mount further down frame tube and moving bottom mount rearwards slightly. Swingarm length unaltered.

Frame had the entire engine cradle lifted by 2" by (something like this) cutting 2" out of the top of the vertical tubes forming the V from the footrests up to the top frame tubes and by removing 2" from the bottom of the front down tubes. As the engine now sits 2" higher in the frame, it is necessary to cut away part of the frame bracing behind the toolbox compartment as the the sparkplug will now foul it due to the raised engine. The exhaust height needs to be shortened by 2" by cutting a piece out of the vertical part and welding back together. Steering headstock angle wasn't altered (on normal production/customer bikes)

when angling the top mounts down using mount that go through the frame welded back and front, you also need to put a gusset in where the seat bolts on as it will bend the down tube . the bottom mount was never altered on the standard yamaha swinging arms . the shocks used were girling 2927 model 13.4" between centers .

When lifting the frame if you do not slightly bend the down tubes back , and move the back subframe back the wheel base will be too short .aim for 51.5 " brill for corners but making the front wheel very light when hill climbing . the bottom of the air box also need s a section cutting off , to alow for clearence of the swinging arm the air box pipe also needs cutting shorter . These all need doing to plus other small mods .

sam b majesty builder at john shirts from 1978 to 1984

I'm confused by this too as I've never seen a footrest kit for the TY250 in the Miller catalogue - not saying there isn't one, just never seen one advertised.

Sounds to me like you think I'm making the whole thing up! Phone SM M/C's on 01425 616446, they'll put you straight.

Edited by mollygreen

[

Sounds to me like you think I'm making the whole thing up! Phone SM M/C's on 01425 616446, they'll put you straight.

??????????????? Just for the record, no I am not - just said I'd never seen one advertised in any of their catalogues in all the years I've had them.

My exact words were - not saying there isn't one - which means I wasn't saying you've made it up.

Thanks Woody and Samb, interesting stuff.I measured my modded bike against the standard one and it is about an inch back and down.Bit difficult to tell accurately - they are both bent !

Think I'll do some more research into the detail differences of the Majesty before I start cutting it around,I'll try to get some good close up photos and make some notes - getting it right is much more important than time.

bought a bunch of old nos yamaha parts and there where a couple of relacating kits included.I have one left but it is missing one side plate and a bolt or two.I do have the parts and instruction sheet.If you would like I can scan sheet and e-mail you the instructions.It also has a longer brake pedal that comes with the kit.JR

that may be from the Yamaha 'street kit'. Moved the pegs in the other driections to make it less 'trials' and more 'trail'. Kit had thicker seat, relocated pegs forward and down, and longer shifter and brake pedals. These come through ebay occasionally. Also had a larger tank available but I have never seen one of those.

kcj