Which Cheap Reliable Bike?

gordonblackley

Hi Gordon, where are you based these days? Almost any of the modern trials bikes will suit you as a begginer, the 250's have more than enough poke.

Most people use either Michelin or IRC but remember you will only need a couple or rears a year! It's not like racing where you get through a front and two rears on every bike each time you ride it!

You are more than welcome to come down my way for a practice and try out my Scorpa.

We will be riding in the Evesham club trial in Saintbury Quarry near Broadway this Sunday signposted from the A44 if you fancy a look.

Pete Barnett

I,m with woody TXT 250 or try for a mont 315,our kids had one for 2 years nearly an thrown it everywhere,down slopes,up trees an it still looks ok. Bomb proof, but you mite av to stretch to a grand or maybes 1200 . cheers :ph34r:

Hi Gordon, where are you based these days? Almost any of the modern trials bikes will suit you as a begginer, the 250's have more than enough poke.

Most people use either Michelin or IRC but remember you will only need a couple or rears a year! It's not like racing where you get through a front and two rears on every bike each time you ride it!

You are more than welcome to come down my way for a practice and try out my Scorpa.

We will be riding in the Evesham club trial in Saintbury Quarry near Broadway this Sunday signposted from the A44 if you fancy a look.

Pete Barnett

Blimy, Pete a blast from the past!

I'm down near Swindon, so not too far away, I might just come for a look on Sunday, what time does it start?

I could do with coming to an event but have trouble finding local ones as an outsider to trials it seems like a friendly but secret society where you get info like "Trial at Johns farm on sunday", which is great if you know Johns farm or who to speak to to find out where it is.

Anyway thanks everyone for the advice, I may stretch the budget a little further.

And Peter, might see you on the weekend.

Gordon

The Evesham trial at Saintbury starts at 10.30, we will be there until around 1.30 and you are more than welcome to have a ride around at the end on my 250.

For the best information on local events look at the regs available page in Trials & Moto Cross News T&MX. The chances are that you will find an event within sensible travelling distance almost every weekend.

Trials isn't like road racing where you have to drive hundreds of miles to compete (unless you want to that is!) plus the entry fees are only around

yeah id deffinately get something smaller than the 290 its not about size of engine in trials you can still do the same basically on every bike if you have the ability , and the sherco 290 from my experiences is quite a handfull, also would be better if you could stretch abit more on money you might get something abit better :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

People I've spoken to have said the Mont is a good shout for a first bike (not the lightest, but bulletproof) and curiously, to a man they've all warned me against GasGas...

Wouldn't disagree with that. The Montesa is certainly a very well made machine.

The Yamaha TY250R is in budget but nowhere near the Montesa in terms of performance - engine, chassis or suspension. They are however very forgiving.

The Gas Gas are possibly one of the nicest bike to ride, very good handling, smooth well developed engines with with good power if needed (go for a 250cc) and they are nice and light. The problem is they don't last as well as the Montesa for instance. Parts such as suspension linkage need constant fettling, fork seals and ever frames cracking on older machines. At your budget you are only going to find a tatty one which is false economy, you will end up spending a lot of money on repairing it.

The Bultaco you mentioned - do you mean the new era machines which are now Sherco's? If so I would put them in a similar catagory as the Gas Gas.

Other makes that might appear an attractive price are best avoided e.g. Aprillia 280/240, early Scorpas with rotax engines, JCM, Fantic K-roo,