Annoyed About Not Being Able To Ride My Bike

doogzie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new to trials this year, but I've been carrying a knee injury for all of my adult life and am finally going in for a rebuild in a fortnights time. Looking forward to a new knee - not looking forward so much to the months of rehab.... :D

Still, got my bike all fettled now so it's there ready for me next year :D

I crashed over the side of a 55 gal drum (it was laying down) and placed my right foot into a tangle of small logs and promptly twisted my ankle up really good. I found out that if a tendon is tore 3/4 of the way through the doctors still call it a sprain. It is a severe sprain, I thought that was interesting in the fact that a sprain can be alot worse than just stretching things. Anyways I was off the bike for a couple months. My first question to the Doc was "when can I ride my motorcycle, I know the trials bike is out for a bit but at least when can I get on the road?" he gave me the usual don't sue me super vague answer of "we will have to wait and see how the healing progresses" As soon as I could sit on the road bike and hold it up with my "bad" ankle I was on the road about 2 weeks later I was back on the trials bike. Of course both of these times of re-entering the motocycle realm were about a month or two earlier than what my wife thought was a good time line. God bless her, she cares but just doesn't understand my frame of mind. I can be a :D from time to time.

Snapped a pinky finger on rocks - put me out of action for 3 months - still not right :D

I have fallen off lots learing the ropes - have just bought knee and elbow/forearm pads.. will wear when practising.

At my age (37) a broken knee or elbow wont heal quick so i figured the minimum i can do is cover up my joints.

Having worn both yesterday for the first time - apart from feeling a bit "weird" dont think it impared my riding.

I find it weird that trials riders never cover up yet jump around on rocks etc... one fall and your going to snap something.

Jza

Guest stixnstonesbrokemybones

Had the slipped disk op in 2004 but my back "went" again on 13th July this year. Op 2 due next year. In the meantime had a shoulder op in September, so I bought a new Beta in October to give me a worthwhile reason to do the physio.

Pain killers ready at section 2 please!

Edited by stixnstonesbrokemybones

Hell i dont feel alone anymore chaps!

I tore my medial ligaments in me left knee beack in 82 doing motocross. back then a ligament rebuild was unheard of.

A few years later when the op was starting to be a success i saw the doc, and he told me 6 months off work at least for rehab but there was no way i could aford the time of so i lived with the injury since...

Trouble with a knee job THEY say its got 10 year max life span at normal living thats without riding dirt bikes.

So me i will stick with the knackerd knee till i cant walk then get it sorted.

I was in india this year so i checked into a private hospital in Goa to get a second opinion, they said they had repalced better knees than mine. Waiting time was a week and would cost about 2k that included a week in the hospital.

Thats two my penith, Good luck man o steel, keep us posted on your progress :D

Edited by pitley

Thanks for that :D

About the 10 year thing, for me it's all about the next ten years... I'm a BMX freestyler at heart, I've taken up trials after having two crossers stolen (I can't go through that crap again) and my plan is to ride trials when its too wet to ride BMX. I'm also a bit of a snowboarder and recently sold everything in this country and bought a little flat in Val D'Isere. Turns out there's some good trials riding to be had up in them mountains too :D My plan is to spend as much time over there as I can afford to - boarding in the winter season and riding in the summer.

But,

I'm 41 years old now. So realistically I think I've got 10 more years of 'pushing it' before I need to start cruising a bit more. so, by that rationale getting a rebuild now sets me up nicely for the next 10 or so years.

Hopefully................

Trouble with a knee job THEY say its got 10 year max life span at normal living thats without riding dirt bikes.

Question is?

Is there any one who rides trials after a knee replcement?

I know of a few folk who had hips done, EG Big Wiggy and a chap from oxford by the name of kevin.

Any knee replcement riders here? :D

Not had a knee job, but I've had a few hand jobs in my time. Recovery not a problem :P

What's the knee replacement involve? What's the new bits made of?

Question is?

Is there any one who rides trials after a knee replcement?

I know of a few folk who had hips done, EG Big Wiggy and a chap from oxford by the name of kevin.

Any knee replcement riders here? :D

Not had a knee job, but I've had a few hand jobs in my time. Recovery not a problem :P

What's the knee replacement involve? What's the new bits made of?

:D

There was talk of me having a partial replacement knee before the quack had seen the scans and x-rays...... apparently they're plastic..... but I'm led to believe that usually you're only offered them once you're getting on a bit - over 70 - that kind of age.

But, that's proper last resort stuff these days. They can do remarkable things with knees now. What were once career ending injuries for pro sportsmen are now fully repairable and recoverable within 6-9 months. I've been hobbling around for 25 years with a broken ACL (bad thing) but in that time technology has moved on so much, that the op is done and I get to walk out of the hozzy next day. No scar, no cast, all keyhole (good thing). Obviously there's a whole heap of physio to do - I'll be on crutches for a while and in the gym for a looooong time, but as long as I put the work in, i'll be better than new in the end (good thing).

The clock is ticking now.... 15th November is the day. Can't wait. :D

I have rode trials for 20 years with a bad knee, torn ACL ligament thanks to motocross. I have always worn a good(Donjoy) knee brace and had little trouble till last year I tore my other one. January I had an arthroscopic replacement of my left ACL and in Sept. I had the right one done. So I'm out for 2years, I want this to work. I did ride an event in Sept. before the second surgery, it was fun.

Edited by gtgasgas