Hydrogen ?

axulsuv

Just a thought as the world rapidly changes around us ...

Last week I saw a commercial on TV for a fuel cell powered Honda civic ! As in it's in the dealers now ! All that is well and GOOD as it's no big deal to make a 4t run on hydrogen , just getting or making the hydrogen is the only issue . But can you make a two stroke run on it with decent performance and durability ???? inquiring minds want to KNOW ???? And I understand that fuel cells =electric motovation , but as I'm sure most of you across the pond already know , mazda is doing quite well with a rotary hydrogen powered RX-8 , and BMW may release a hydrogen fueled car late next year ... I'm wondering about the thermal effects of hydrogen vs. 2t use ? or would it just detonate in the crankcase ?

I wonder because the best hydrogen fuel engines so far are direct injected 4ts , eliminates combustion in the intake ... Or could you inject it into the transfer ports and make it work ... hhmmm , I've got a spare running 240 engine in a bare frame , Big fantic fins for cooling ...

OK , my mind is wandering now , time to break out the cad program and start playing... Liquid or gas ? decisions decisions !!!

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv

We ran internal combustion engines on gaseous hydrogen in college and found that the flame front was extreemly quick and we had problems getting a full combustion on each stroke because it just wouldnt mix enough in time. Nice thing about gasoline or alchohol is that they burn slow in comparison to other fuels. With direct injection we could control the flame front but blew holes in many a piston. If you get the timing down it might just work but keep your stroke small don't expect a lot of rpm. It is extreemly hot when it burns as well as being volitile and quick. I dont know about 2 stroke but i know that it burns hot enough to take off any oil films which we had in our pistons and cylinder walls in 4 stroke applications.

Now a fuel cell powered motorcycle hmmmmm use some Ultra Capicitors and you have something there...

--Biff

Could just go all electric.

http://www.killacycle.com/

and a video in action

Not sure if this really applies to this thread but hey this bike is cool and I couldn't remember if it was posted here before.

Great bike - but no brains -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfVX71YqPuQ...feature=related

I'm with you on the development of an electric trials bike. A sort of hybrid downhill bike with the geometry and setup of a trials cycle - with electric power. It is something that I would love to design given the time. I suspect there are top companies on it right now. :(

Now a fuel cell powered motorcycle hmmmmm use some Ultra Capicitors and you have something there...

Maybe that is what they need to keep a Montesa from "flaming out" while it throws you over the bars!

On the topic, I can see LPG, CNG or hybrid technology, but I think I could come closer to lighting a fire with Zippers collected farts than by producing hydrogen and distributing it! :(

copemech Posted Yesterday, 10:27 PM

Maybe that is what they need to keep a Montesa from "flaming out" while it throws you over the bars!

On the topic, I can see LPG, CNG or hybrid technology, but I think I could come closer to lighting a fire with Zippers collected farts than by producing hydrogen and distributing it!

There is no need to collect. only one will power an entire fleet of bikes. :(