My Employer Sucks

andy.t

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bilco,

did you jump off the bus when you had a certain level of future financial security? I think of lot of people would love to chuck the daily job and do something I like to pay the bills. The reality of that being that must people would soon starve.

Cota Kid.

I did'nt have a bean except enough money to see me by for a month.I was in my middle twenty's when i decided to break away from the daily routine,back then the mortgage was low,i did'nt have a wife and kid's so i thought it was worth taking the risk, in my case it worked out. It took a good few year's to get myself about and known after that the work fall's on your lap,then it's down to you if you want to except it,i don't look to make load's just enough to get by on,i guess the more money you want to make the more you get drawn back into the rat race,i've found a good medium,i do the work at my own pace and when i think i've reached enough to get me by for a month i ease up and take some time out.

Can't say i've ever been one for wanting to feel secure somewhere, that can make you feel to comfortable with life and your chance's will pass you by i think.

It's so sad when you see people outside there work place in tears after just being made redundant,god what faith we put into employer's thinking they will keep us in work so we can keep paying our bill's,so why not reverse the table's,be in control of our own future's and once again a better quality of life for ourself's

I always thought I would maybe rob a bank,you know the ultimate crime,can anyone remember a bloke called Eddie Mehur(i think) who robbed a bank in Felixstowe(wheres Felixstowe I hear you say,its on the end of his foot)well he was a Lock Smith by trade employed by Sucuricor and was doing his rounds around the banks picking up cash and on the last pick up his mate went into the bank to do the last collection(this guy has the key to the money) and Eddie was in the van,at this point Eddie drives off with all the cash,stops off in some little lane near the sea front,opens the safe with a key he made from a copy and legs it,never to be seen again.He even managed to get his wife and child out of the country and never to be seen since.Now thats what I call clever not like me who has just advertised that I want to rob a bank.

When I was a young un' at school (maybe 5 years old) we were all told that a local Copper was coming in the next day to give us a talk.

My dad thought it could be a very funny situation since I was so young??

The Copper came , did his talk and at the end he asked if there were any questions..so i stood up in front of the whole school and asked the question that my dad had prepped' me for:-'' How do you rob a bank?''

All the school laughed and I got a b0ll0ck1ng.

I was 5 at the time and didn't have a clue so what's your excuse Andy.T ?if you only aspire to be a thief. :guinness:

HAM2,I liked your story,why would I like to aspire to be a thief,not being any kind of thief would satisfy me,it would have to be a Bank Robber.To rob Banks without a care just like they would rob you without a care,every day of week you get robbed one way or another.Then theres the legitimate robbing that goes on by MP's,Lords,Companies,Police,the list goes on.How do the think most Lords and Gentry gained their wealth,they robbed other people and those that have inherited it dont feel bad about it.Perhaps I would rob the rich and give to the poor would that be OK.

I have had a very hard day at school today(or did I just have a hard)anyway its way past my bedtime.

I suppose my job is a bit of a rat race. Money is comfortable but nothing special.

One of the lads who used to work in my team recently made a big career decision bearing in mind he'd done computer networks for around 25 years. I'm permanent, he was a contractor, so he was actually on not bad money at all. A mate of his ran a catering vehicle and was moving to something bigger.

One day Eddy came in and said he was quitting and buying a burger van. Thought he was joking at first, but it became obvious he was serious. Sure enough, within 6 weeks he had quit, and bought the business including 28ft van and Landrover Discovery to tow it.

We still speak fairly often and he's loving life.

He's out of the house at 6am, sets up his van in Preston docks, and is out of there by 2.30pm. Home to pick the kids up. All of his food is delivered to the van while he's there, he's literally got nothing to do until the following day when he gets home.

Works the odd weekend but that is pure pocket money.

More money than before even employing a couple of staff and really enjoying himself. Never too late to change.

Edited by bikespace

I suppose my job is a bit of a rat race. Money is comfortable but nothing special.

One of the lads who used to work in my team recently made a big career decision bearing in mind he'd done computer networks for around 25 years. I'm permanent, he was a contractor, so he was actually on not bad money at all. A mate of his ran a catering vehicle and was moving to something bigger.

One day Eddy came in and said he was quitting and buying a burger van. Thought he was joking at first, but it became obvious he was serious. Sure enough, within 6 weeks he had quit, and bought the business including 28ft van and Landrover Discovery to tow it.

We still speak fairly often and he's loving life.

He's out of the house at 6am, sets up his van in Preston docks, and is out of there by 2.30pm. Home to pick the kids up. All of his food is delivered to the van while he's there, he's literally got nothing to do until the following day when he gets home.

Works the odd weekend but that is pure pocket money.

More money than before even employing a couple of staff and really enjoying himself. Never too late to change.

I'm probably in a position that if I sold up I could live out the rest of my life ok without having to work but the truth is, I love working. I like the interaction with people and customers and solving the problems, inventing new products and processes etc and generally being part of the cut & thrust of the world turning. I have felt the same doing the job I do when working for other people and getting a lot less money so its not cash related.

I always think that for the best part of your life you are working so why not make it something you enjoy. Being happy in itself has proven to be good for your health so if you are happy in your work, then that should be a big consideration in deciding the job you do if possible IMHO :guinness:

AtomAnt,you mentioned inventing new products,now your talking,you could help me out as I have a few ideas that could possibly make some money.The biggest problem is the patents,I found the NESTA website and it looks like a right pain trying to obtain a patent,and this looks as though it would only cover the UK.I have made one of the ideas I had and it works a treat,the others are still in my head but could be easily made.

Got any good advice?

AtomAnt,you mentioned inventing new products,now your talking,you could help me out as I have a few ideas that could possibly make some money.The biggest problem is the patents,I found the NESTA website and it looks like a right pain trying to obtain a patent,and this looks as though it would only cover the UK.I have made one of the ideas I had and it works a treat,the others are still in my head but could be easily made.

Got any good advice?

Firstly, It's rare that I or my co-director patent inventions. I have filed a few (I have 2 currently pending right now), but that's nothing compared to my co-director who has a dozen or so. You know the thin self regulating heater strip that you get in your heated wing mirrors? Well he invented that :) ( He is a physicist though )

First thing to do is do a search by using the online facility at the UK Intellectual Property Office. Click Here . You need to see if your 'invention' has already been invented. This can take quite a while. A thorough search here will save you thousands and just takes your time. There may be something similar so check the claims of the patent versus what you would claim as the features of your invention that you want to protect. If they are similar it's likely you are wasting your time. If you cant find anything that is similar, its time for the next step which is to write the patent.

I never do this. I always employ a patent agent to do it. You really need a well written patent if it is going to stand up against competition in the future and you guessed it, its not cheap but it will be worth it.

You can read the full info here Patent Office Info

There are a few things to bear in mind. You are not allowed to disclose your invention to anyone before it is filed. If you have made anything and sold a few to some people, then you can't patent it. It becomes what they term as in the public domain.

Finally, what's more important is what are you going to do with your patent once you have it. Some people think they can invent something, get a patent and the money comes rolling in. Well, I can tell you, it doesn't work like that. You will need to get decent working prototypes and find funding ( if you need it that is) and define the market it will be sold in etc etc.

If someone copies it and you want to contest it, expect HUGE legal costs. You could lose the case even if you are 100% in the right. If they are a big company, they will be able to afford it. You will be bankrupt. It sucks but thats how it is.

This is a reason we don't even bother with some of our ideas. We just make it and get it out there as fast as possible and if its copied, then make something else and move on. Its only the products that we have to invest hundreds of thousands of pounds in designing and building where we need protection of a patent before we set out.

I don't want to put you off but its not for the faint hearted.

One last thing, an inventor normally sees all the good things in his/her invention. Family and friends will support them but its best to get it critically assessed for its viability before you go ahead. As an example, look at how many people go on X factor thinking they can sing because their friends and family didn't want to hurt their feelings!

I hope that helps :closedeyes: