Evel Knievel Dies

city trials

Evel Knievel, the hard-living daredevil whose famous jumps over Greyhound buses, live sharks and Idaho's Snake River Canyon, which made him an international icon in the 1970s, died today. He was 69. I had a chance to meet Evel a few times, as he had family in Chicago. To say this man could party-hard is a understatement. Many are probably surprised he was even still alive. RIP Evel, you were one crazy dude. Edited by City Trials

I loved the story of him jumping the double decker buses

a mate was telling me of a documentry about it

apparently Evil turns up and looks a bit puzzled, the promoter asked what was wrong and he replied

" I didnt think the buses were this big, I cant jump that far !"

as the tickets had all been sold he had a go anyway..........

some fella

RIP

Evel Knievel has been a hero of mine since i was a child, had to admire his guts to always get back on the bike no matter what.

The wembley stadium jump in London in 1975 was over 13 busses, a distance he had never jumped before, something he only realized on the day of the jump when he saw the busses lined up for the first time in the arena. But rather than take a bus out or cancel his attitude was " i said i'd jump 13 so i'll do it". You got to admire that.

Ok he didn't make it but a few months later once fully recovered he attempted 14 busses at a jump in Ohio in America, this time he put his whole career on the line saying "if i make it i'll carry on, if not i'll pack it all in". This put extra pressure on the jump which was two busses more than he had ever attempted. Needless to say he made it and the Kneivel legend continued.

At the snake river canyon jump in 74 he was convinced that he was not going to make it across after several tests flights ended in disaster, but once again the knievel was to carry on "if i said i'll do it then i will" Once again he failed but lived to fight another day. Just a couple of quick stories that let you know what kind of a man he was.

What a guy, a one off, never be any one like him again!!!!

(except maybe Eddie Kidd who I met recently and is also a legend!!)

Plus how many of you had the Evel Knievel stunt cycle toy as a kid?

Edited by KICKSTART101

RIP you bloody nutter :banana2:

I think he had a good life even though 69 is considered a young age to die.

I seem to remember him landing a huge jump but the forks snapped clean off, he bounced and bounced for far too long...

yeah sad to hear this news today he was one crazy dude. Anyyone remember eddie kidd? I think he's in a wheel chair now, rememeber seeing him at amtree park (former butlins) north yorkshire. He was i suppose to uk version of Evel Knievel.

RIP dude

That must have been one hell of a dangerous stunt going to Butlins, what a bloke.

As for Knievel what a 70's star, you know you've made it when Mattel make a toy of you. I remember the jump over the double decker buses at Wembley and the resultant spectacular crash. Considering the size of the bike (harley?) I'm surprised he got off the ground.

No doubt St Peter will currently be wondering why someone has built a ramp in front of the pearly gates.

Anyone remember the Irish version.......

Edited by Cota Kid

I was a big fan of the big guy.

He had a Trials bike in the early 70's too, done up in the stars and stripes, styled much like the Captain America chopper in Easy Rider.

I think it it was a Bultaco?

Big Balls of Steel.

The Gods shall honor him as he jumps the Halls of Valhalla!

Edited by Mr Clean

The man was such an entertainer and inspired many a bicycle accident in my childhood.. the guy was responsible for one of the biggest crazes of my youth..every lad did this..put 'cow-horn' handlebars on your racer,then a whole new, off-road-world seemed to open up.RIP

I grew up watching him. My friends and I lined up 14 flower pots to see if we could jump them on our bicycles when we were kids. Just trying to be like him. We did not make it and mom got mad! Had the toy stunt motorcycle and the Rocket motorcycle he used to try to jump the canyon as well. RIP E.K.

He was crazy. A true hero and one of the most honest, straight-talking blokes around.

I was there when eddie kid binned it at the bulldog bash. The jump was stupid and i think he said that about it afterwards. It wasnt a long jump by any standards but it is not really possible to land on an upward slope on a jump like that and of course there was only a 20 foot, 70 degree drop at the end of the upward slope. I remember hearing something about he hadnt seen the jump before he turned up that day but he did it anyway. Just like Evel would have.

I guess that all the big jump guys around now were all inspired by the great man in the 70's.

RIP and thank you.

Edited by madcr500