Evel Knievel Dies

city trials

A man who looked Health and Safety in the face and laughed out loud and poo pooed Risk Assessment. Always wondered why he chose to do jumps on a bike with less travel than a steam train and so heavy it had it's own gravitational field. Would have chosen a nice motocross bike myself, maybe it was the all American Stars and Stripes Harley thing.

Cowhorns on racers, that brought back some memories, we had to cut about 2" off both ends to get over the footbridges round our way.

The Legend will live on, RIP.

I thought the Harley XR 750 wasn't the worst choice for jumping in those days. Bikes obviously did the job!

The way the American health costs are these days, he would have wiped out his fortune in a single crash.

Your right about the bike but ive always thought it took more skill and balls to jump on something like that than on a modern crosser. Like when evel failed the ceasor palace jump and his son robbie cleared it years later (i think he was on a cr500, not sure) people said that meant he was better than evel but i think you couldnt say that until robbie knievel did the same jump on the same type of bike.

My ALL time favourit toy was the Evel Knievel wind up toy, i used my 1st one that much i had to have another the christmas after because i had worn all the teeth off the cogs.

Then last year my Lady bought me one for christmas, (I am now 34,) because all the stories i told her about my child hood and tha is one of my biggest memories, playing with the toy.

What a guy ! RIP . The legend Evel Knievel

There was a modern documentary on him I seen on the cable not too long ago. Lots of good info and stuff!

There will never be another to replace him! Balls of Titanium! :banana2: RIP

In the course of my previous career some years back, I had some contact with Evel in Northern California. I think he was living at the Flamingo in Las Vegas at the time. He personally struck me as a straight-up guy who didn't make excuses for his actions and took advantage of the cards life dealt him, not unlike his PR image. One of the last things you wanted to do was make a bet with him on the golf course.....

Jon

Your right about the bike but ive always thought it took more skill and balls to jump on something like that than on a modern crosser. Like when evel failed the ceasor palace jump and his son robbie cleared it years later (i think he was on a cr500, not sure) people said that meant he was better than evel but i think you couldnt say that until robbie knievel did the same jump on the same type of bike.

Discovery channel had a interview/documentary saturday, I managed to record it, well last 50 minutes of it. Reason I post is that Evel stated that Robbie JR, came up several yards short, and whould been decapitated. But because Dad (evil) had insisted that robbie build the ramp with saftey landing area (the flat part of the landing ramps) that Robbie is still alive.

Seems to me somone else jumped the fountains, since then, did he also do a backflip or something as well?

Sting32 Posted Today, 12:24 AM

QUOTE(madcr500 @ Dec 1 2007, 11:04 AM)

Discovery channel had a interview/documentary saturday, I managed to record it, well last 50 minutes of it. Reason I post is that Evel stated that Robbie JR, came up several yards short, and whould been decapitated. But because Dad (evil) had insisted that robbie build the ramp with saftey landing area (the flat part of the landing ramps) that Robbie is still alive.

Seems to me somone else jumped the fountains, since then, did he also do a backflip or something as well?

Yep saw the same documentary, that is what Evel said.

Mike Metzger jumped the fountains with a backflip and if I remember correctly wearing the red white and blue as a tribute to Evel.

• 3 weeks later...

For any Uk trials fans out there sunday night on BBC 2 will see Richard Hammond in ameriaca meeting the great Evel Knievel. This turned out to be the last television interview Evel gave before his death so will be well worth watching.

Edited by KICKSTART101

For any Uk trials fans out there sunday night on BBC 2 will see Richard Hammond in ameriaca meeting the great Evel Knievel. This turned out to be the last television interview he gave before his death so will be well worth watching.

I didn't know Richard Hammond had died.