How Tight Is Tight?

blocky

Cheers Marky boy... Being an ex car mechanic i've heard variations on that one once or twice :banana2:

The reason I asked is because I keep tearing the valve out of my tubes yet i'm doing up the clamps as tight as I dare or maybe i'm just getting too old :banana2:

This is the way I have always done the rimlocks.

inflate tire to around 25psi or whenever the bolt of the rimlock stops pushing out as air goes into tire.

In my mind this means it is as close to tire/rim connection as it can get and will be holding just the bead against the rim.

once there tighten the hell out of it! Make it tight and then 1/2 turn more.

Hope this helps or at least give Copie some fuel for comments about us rednecks. :banana2:

This is the way I have always done the rimlocks.

inflate tire to around 25psi or whenever the bolt of the rimlock stops pushing out as air goes into tire.

In my mind this means it is as close to tire/rim connection as it can get and will be holding just the bead against the rim.

once there tighten the hell out of it! Make it tight and then 1/2 turn more.

Hope this helps or at least give Copie some fuel for comments about us rednecks. :D

I agree with Zippy about TIGHT on the rim lock itself. Just a thought... are you using a jam nut on the valve stem itself? If so, leave this off as it will allow for some movement without tearing it from the tube.

I have always run tube type tires this way on off road bikes as well as trials (tube type wheels). If the tire does spin (even just a bit) It will simply pull the valve stem without tearing (at least at first)

Keith

But as I think back, I have always been accused of having loose nuts anyway.....

You may not have a tyre slip problem. The tube can get pulled around without the tyre slipping on the rim. I was obsessed with rimlocks for a while till I painted marks on the rim and tyre to prove to myself that the tyre wasn't actually moving relative to the rim.

Don't ask me how to prevent the tube moving though. Powder on the tube works OK until water gets in between the tyre and tube. I've found that the tube will always move one way as far as it can in the stem hole and will then generally stop the tube moving further without getting the stem pulled out.

I use Thai, Malaysian and Taiwanese tubes of a smallish tube size (3.50/4.00 x 18) in Michelin and IRC tyres.