What Size Bike To Get?

husky71

I have two daughters, one who'll be six in March and the other who'll be three and a half then.

I'm really thinking more of this for the older girl as the younger one hasn't really shown much of an interest in her bicycle yet. Probably a birthday present in March.

What's the best size to get?

Both girls are about 40 lbs. The older one is at least average or a little taller in height for her age but slender. The three year old comes up to her nose and is stockier - definitely quite big for her age.

The girls love it when I give them rides on my GG 300, but standing on the outer 1" of peg is a workout on my feet. I think they'll have a lot more fun riding on their own.

I have both sizes. The 16.0 for my now seven year old daughter (got it when she was six) and the smaller one for my four year old son (got it when he was three). For your older daughter get the 16.0. She will be way to cramped on the 12.5. Or be like me and get both, one for each kid. My then three year old son rode his OSET without training wheels before his bicycle

i dont think you get any lower then a 50cc on a traditional trials bike(sherco/scopra/gas gas ex..). The 50's are an automatic, with no cluth or anything so it would be safe for a 6 year old to ride in my opion.. but if you want to get smaller then a 50cc check out the osets; like the others said..

• 6 months later...

My son is 4 and a half but does not ride a push bike very much, when he does it is with stabilizers.

Can I get an Oset, thinking of 12.5 with stabilizers? or would it be better to start him without and let his feet drag until

he gets more confident / skillful to run with feet up?

Edited by pinkbike

I've just fitted some trolley wheels to an axle and mounted it just in front of the pegs. Works excellent.

I was hoping my 4yr old would just drag his feet to learn, but he needed the wheels to get his confidence up.

He wants to ride more now, makes the wife think it wasn't a complete waste of money. I'll be getting the wheels off as soon as he's keen.

Good move.....My son also started with training wheels . It was a great way to learn throttle/brake control first. Now at 4 he's off the training wheels. He still does a lot of "walking" but its a huge improvement....I think the training wheels gave him a great headstart.

If anyone needs training wheels THESE bolt right on to the inside area of the footpegs.

Edited by motofire