Help Needed

pennyb

Hi Guys

I need a little bit of help I have just decided to get into trials after riding a few of my friends trials bikes most have been Gassers I started looking for a new bike I found a really good deal here in Canada for a brand new 07 Raga I haven't rode one and I am wondering is this to much bike for a beginner any help will be greatly appreciated

P.S I have rode an 06 300 Pro and it was a great bike the nicest I have ever rode

Edited by PennyB

Its about the worst bike to learn on i can think of. Its an out and out expert bike only and i dont see many experts at top level on them. It will spin, flip and rip youre arms out and the end result wll be you knackered having to whip and tame the beast.

The standard 300 which i have is far smoother but i would look to a 250 or even a 200 to learn on as power is not something you need when starting out. Trials is hard enough but if you end up having to constantly fight the bike then you will slow the learning process.

I have done some big events and seen some decent riders on Raga`s and later in the day they seemed to be just hanging on for dear life.

Dont rush in and wait for more advise.

see the major upside to me getting the raga is I can save about $900.00 dollars off the 300 pro and I can get it right now and not have to wait 7 weeks. the only other bike he has in stock is a 2006 Scorpa 250 2t and I have never ridden a Scorpa

Hi PennyB,

I have a 2006 Raga 300, been riding at expert level for many years now, I found the motor much more responsive than the standard 300 and fitted a Hebo flywheel weight which made it perfect for me. I think the bike is just brilliant. As standard, the power delivery is too quick and too strong for most riders. But.....you can always modify the motor a little to suit your riding. While I agree with the previous responses that a 250 would be great for a beginning rider, if you have your mind set on the Raga and are saving some spondools in the process, then here are a few suggestions with what you can do to the motor while you are learning and later this year, you can revert back to standard setting if you want to.

Hebo flywheel weight.

Black tube slow action throttle.

Fit 0.8mm thick extra base gasket.

Slot the holes in the ignition pick up sensor and retard the static ignition timing (move the sensor counter clockwise).

Fit a 10T gearbox spkt.

After these mods, you'll have quite a manageable and tidy looking bike.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi PennyB,

I have a 2006 Raga 300, been riding at expert level for many years now.

This is a beginner we are talking about not even novice. Ive never ridden a road bike but ill buy a Yam R1 for starter bike and see how i go.

If i were you, post this on general chat for more responses and a better overall view.

As for Scorpa im not a fan as ive seen loads of damaged ones. Friend had one which blew over in wind and the gear selector put a hole in the thin casing. Lost count of cracked tanks at

Ok guys after taking the Raga and the Scorpa out for a really good ride. 2 1/2 hours on the raga and an hour on the scorpa. I ended up getting the Raga it has alot more power then the Scorpa but I find it more comfortable and it feels alot lighter and by far better built. In my opinion a much better purchase the thing that I feel will take getting used to is the throttle because it is very quick so I might get the slow action one from the dealer but I want to get a few more hours on it before I decide. here is a pic

raga07-2.jpg

I dont think I will be riding my 06 RM 250 much

Most people that don't like RAGA's lack throttle control because they are quick to say the lest. I love mine and its stock except for the 10 tooth counter sprocket, but I ride aggressive for a SR. Expert.If I was you I would look at the slow throttle, fly wheel weight and the 10 tooth sprocket.

Edited by gtgasgas

I would be the last to advise an R1 as a first bike too, but assuming you have some bike experience (as you say you already test rode and liked the GG) there is a good chance that you will come to grips with the 300 .... eventually. I had lots of offroad bike experience before I got my 280Pro as a first trials bike, and I also had to change the sprocket & throttle tube to help me slow things down a bit. I'm sure starting on a 200 or a more planted clubman like 250 would have helped the learning curve, but after 2yrs! now I'm finally ready to put the stock 11tooth sprocket back on. I see now that leaving the 11 on would have been a better idea to smooth the power, but that was before I learned trials clutch technique. Besides the $900 savings, you also have the dualmap ignition which I'm sure will be left in the rainy setting.

Ride it and let me know if you want to trade for a 280 !

I think that you are gutsy to buy a Raga for a first bike but what a friend of mine in Vancouver did was put a 250cc can on a new Raga which created on of the nicest rides around. It is certainly worth thinking about.

Spencer