Bike Wont Start

edgas250

Went out last week practising and 2hrs in my bike had died, looked at the carb and the airbox to cuarb rubber bung had come apart from the airbox, so there was say a 2mm gap in the bottom!

so this week ive changed the plug, cleaned the box and filter, and drained the carb from the nut underneath,

and it still wont start, tried witht he choke both on and off and wont even try to run,

only thing which causes some noise is if i tip the bike over until fuel comes out the overflow then kick it with choke on,it will start then die almost instantly?

what can it be!!!

I take it you still have a spark, then it sounds as if the engine is flooded.

Try turning off the fuel, tipping the bike over until the carb drains out, then remove the plug and give it a good clean. Kick it over with the plug removed taking care to keep a soft rag close to the plug hole to catch any fuel spray and the plug lead/plug away from the spray to prevent fire.

Put the plug back in and kick it over on full throttle with the fuel still off. Remove the plug again and check to see if it is still wet, if so repeat until it comes out dry. Then try starting as normal.

i would think the carb will have to be removed , stripped and full cleaned. its not a hard job, its best to remove the pilot jet, main jet and the nozzel also remove the airscrew ( screw it in first and count the turns in, dont forget to re-set when rebuilding). blow everything through and check all the airways for dirt. whilst the carb is off clean out the airbox, if you can , remove it and wash it in the sink. ( i put mine in the dish washer, the misses go's mad!) this hopefully will be the cause of your problem.

hope this helps

paul :rolleyes:

haha, well after doing all the above, it still wouldnt start, so took the fuel tank off to see the elctrics, and the bolt that secures all the earths is missing!

typical!

Relieved?

I tried to start my bike last week and the kick-start lever locked out solid.!!!

I have only just rebuilt the motor so all sorts of expensive,major faults were running through my mind !

Then I remembered my new,very tight, exhaust bung was still in place......oh, joy :rolleyes:

Relieved?

I tried to start my bike last week and the kick-start lever locked out solid.!!!

I have only just rebuilt the motor so all sorts of expensive,major faults were running through my mind !

Then I remembered my new,very tight, exhaust bung was still in place......oh, joy :rolleyes:

:angry:

well spoke to soon, its come back again, bolt still in place!

so today ive checked all electrics, blown out the fuel mixture jet on the carb, replaced plug (again),

and kicked it over so many different techniques i cant remember them all,

the only way it will start is if i put the bike on its side, let alot of fuel come out, then kick it on choke, it will start and will rev but sounds bogged down, and not well at all, and it wont idle either,

mixture screws gone bakc to original position (3turns)

so please if anyone can think of anything let me know, as i have a trial next sunday!!

Is the plug wet when you take it out?

Are both your floats empty (just wondering if you cracked one. I know really stoopid question, but you put them in the right way up?).

Does the fuel stop when you simulate the floats rising and cutting the fuel off?

You got anyone you can swap carbs with?

And did you use a compressor to blow the carb out. Have to admit it sounds more like starvation/jetting than flooding.

Edited by bikespace

Get a compressor on your wish list Ed. You'll wonder how you ever did without it. Not only can you blow your carb out, but swap your own tyres over, spraying jobs, car tyres, power tools, sealing the garden decking, blowing up inflatable beds/footballs, and even creating a jacuzzi for the kids in the swimming pool (not the most useful one but a good laugh);)

Don't need a big one for most jobs.

See you next week.

• 14 years later...

my bike is strugling to start it starts sometimes but then when i turn it off it strugles to start with choke on or off. fuel is turned on how can i make it start cold easy its a sherco 290cc 2005