Spark Please Just Spark ! :(

magicmat

im building my bike and i cant get the thing to spark !! its winding me up !

the frames been powder coated but i havn't taken the pant off any of the lugs for the grounding. (why im thinking no spark)

However ive been doing continuity tests between the engine and bolts on the frame and there positive. So its making me think the engine and frame are connected therefore the engine is grounded? but still no spark.

Multimeter -

- Getting a voltage output on the magneto cables.

- but im not getting anything on the cable that goes to the coil (the one that comes from the 'advance' box. So is it cos of the ground or my advance box?

I've tried different plugs and nothing, cut the ht lead down alittle and nothing.

Reason i havn't taken the paint off yet is because i dont know where to mount the black box, (and the ground point is next to it, whereever that is.

looking for abit of advice really guys. If you can offer any ?? ;):thumbup:

- btw, in the second photo where i put the clip, that a good grounding point? (been using the bolt on the coil)

advancemodule.jpg

earthingpoint.jpg

Moto90to94.jpg

I had trouble when re-building my beta.

turned out to be the earth yet when I tried earthing the coil to several points it still wasnt working.

to check that it definatly isnt a problem with the earth, take the ring connector that is meant to earth on the frame and run a wire from it and connect it to the negative termninal on a battery, also make sure your holding the plug against the cylinder head when you check it.

earthing can be very very tempremental so you need to make sure that definatly isnt the problem before you go messing around with other things.

Let me know how ya get on.

Tom

ah killswitch, its not stuck down.

ohhhhh dear, by test killswitch i meant test it lol, not see if its stick down!!! multimeter on continuity test, wire on each probe, button in operating position, no continuity, button depressed.... continuity

Right im getting continuity when i press the switch down.

I thought that it would be the other way around. Ie the circuit would be broken when i pushed the button. ?

Also i've filed the paint off a lug. sanded it right down... still no spark but good continuity.

Ill try the battery idea in a minute

Edited by Magicmat

hold on hold on before you plug it into the mains and set your house on fire, reason for the continuity when button is depressed is that it earths signal from pickup.exciter coil to frame, rather than coil, let me have a look at the diagram a , ok, blue and black wire from stator, attach multimeter across these two set on 20v DC, make sure plug is out (easier to kick)then get someone to give big boot, watch display and you should get voltage, if not then something is up with exciter/pickup, if voltage there, re attach wires to advance box then keeping meter set the same, ground one probe, then place other to red, and kick, ther again should be voltae, other way to do it is by measuring resistance and comparing with what is on diagram, but this only really works with quality multimeters

;)

ok. Betapete i will take minute.

Right.

***quick note, i have not got anything attached to the yellow cable from the stator, this is because the voltage rectifier looks knackered (yellow cable is missing) so ill order another at some point. Thought this cable was just for the thermostat and fan and wouldnt affect the spark, so i left it out***

Multimeter on stator - blue and black cable - gives reading of 0.30 at the most.

Thing is i cant get a reading on the red cable that goes to the coil, i cant even get continuity between that cable and any earth (in continuty test im getting 570). I do get continuity between the red cable and the other end of it at the plug that goes into the red box. so the cable isnt broke.

I have two conclusions

1 - the stator is giving out too low a volatge?

2 - the black box (advance module) is knackered?

... Any more advice betapete? apart from take it to a mechanic ( i may take a trip to gasgas at this rate !)

Cheers Matt

just done a test -

with a 9 volt batter on one end of the advance module and a multimeter on the other - hope this makes sense.

On stator side:

battery +ve on the blue pin connector

-ve on the black pin connecotor

On the other side Nothing

stator side

Battery +ve on black connector

- ve on blue cable

Only one reading on the other side

Red Probe Blue cable pin

Black Probe Black cable pin

Gave a reading of 0.60 from a 9v battery.

This seems odd to me. I thought the battery would work on the blue cable was the black would be an earth. But no. Also the otherside. That says to me that the kill switch is getting power and not the coil wire!!??

(maybe i should uncrimp the blue wire and send it to the coil ! )

Betapete, can you shed anylight on this? ill put the wiring diagram below so you can look at that too.

Moto90to94.jpg

Edited by Magicmat

red plug out of black box - Continutiy between red coil wire and outside of coil.

Coil is not mounted to bare metal but i am getting good continuity. But im not getting power to the red (coil) wire anyway ! :thumbup:

Im thinking the black advance box is broken if im getting power to it, but non from it. ?