Classic Or Modern?

bow wow

Hi trial-ites, I have a conundrum... :o

I ride a 1986 TLR200 its in good nick and almost every time I pass the garage I'm in there fiddling with this or that, making it slowly better and better.

It doesn't cost much to keep going, virtually nil on fuel or oil, and replacing consumables, bearings etc are what you'd expect to do on any bike. And there's no linkage bushes to maintain. So ok, its cheap to run, Its nice looking and goes well.

Here's my problem.

Nearly all my mates ride modern monos. They keep saying I should chop in "the old nail" (bloody cheek!) and join them in the ranks of the banana frame brigade. I'm always near the bottom of our group in the results table, and the wisdom seems to be I wont get any better as a rider unless I get myself a competitive bike to judge myself on ( I have a book of excuses you see, Page 1, bike 22 years old, page 2 bike too heavy, page 3 knackered tyre etc etc etc...) and I should stop using the TLR as an excuse for not beating any of 'em. (actually I was best classic at a recent "easy" trial beating my 70 year old opponent by about 3 marks!)

I have seriously thought about it, not least because the value of the Honda seems to be unfathomably high, and if I got the going rate for it - no reason why not - I could afford to buy a fairly recent Sherco or Rev3 or Gas Gas or something.

There's another problem.

I rode a mates 200 Sherco the other day, and it was like having cateracts removed! it is fantastic! loads of power (for me), its light as a twig, perfectly balanced, brakes work even when wet! such joy! the suspension does a bit more than boing over things and it starts first prod even when its been upside down backwards over a waterfall!

But I still like the Honda. Its going up not down in value, it gets looks of admiration and envy from fellow competitors (who dont have one) and I can guarantee a "3" at nearly any section if panic sets in by sitting on the S E A T - (note to modern bike riders, a seat is the comfy pad in the middle of old bikes that you can actually sit on without having your knees around your ears!) and paddle through to the end cards.

What would YOU do? chop it in and buy banana, or show a finger or two and keep twinshocks alive?

I really want to know, because I am really, truthfully undecided and need input. - perhaps a solution may be to swap with someone with the opposite problem for a few months?

Please help! My head may well explode if I change my mind one single more time! :thumbup::D

I was in the same boat, TY175 but thought i needed a modern bike, bought a 250 Sherco and yes great brakes, handling, suspension etc but just mad power. Didnt like it, I'm old fashioned in my riding in that i do not use the clutch unless i have to, my style suited the Yam but not the Sherco, just depends what your used to.

If you can buy a modern bike and still keep the Honda then thats your best option, you know in 10-15yrs you'll sit there crying when you see the prices there going for on Ebay.

Im just glad i could afford to keep the Yam when i bought the Sherco, the Sherco has now gone, the Yam i'll probably still be using in 5-10yrs time, still near the bottom of the results but enjoying myself.

I rode twinshock Bultaco's for 7 years (badly),took a year out mountain biking,missed trials so decided to buy a modern (1999) 200 Techno.

I must admit I am enjoying my riding much more now as the bike is perfect,goes and stops when I need it to.

However,I miss my twinshocks and am looking for another Bultaco,though I am keeping the Techno for club trials and will ride the twinshock

in classic only trials.

Your TLR is a very good twinshock mount,very competitive,can you not keep in and buy a cheap modern as well?

If it were me, I'd keep the Honda and buy a low cost modern bike aswell. But then I like to mess about with engines and try out modifications in search of improvement, I also really enjoy riding modern bikes up bigger stuff than the older bikes are used to. The newer bikes are pretty much sorted out as standard and don't need a lot of tinkering with. When I think about it, I have 3 modern bikes and 3 twinshocks so there is a balance! Quite by chance, must sell a few off. If this is you then keep the TLR and get a modern.

Bye, PeterB.

Keep the TLR !! Twinshock is so friendly,good fun,almost zero cost and less danger of hurting yourself.Depreciation is a killer in almost any purchase you make today,by keeping and using your TLR parts will continue to be made or remade so others can enjoy them too.

sold my seeley bought a new beta , best thing I ever did, improved my riding ,confidence.and enjoyment.

the older bikes are good fun if you are resonablly good rider, other wise the are hard work.

if I point the beta at a hill and can stay on it will go up it, its a mind thing. the new bikes fill you with confidence.

get a new bike or one 2-3 years old, treat yourself, you wont regreat it, enjoy.

If you are not yet an accomplished rider, a newish bike will help you improve your riding faster than a twinshock as the stronger feedback you get from a modern bike trains your brain faster to do the right thing.

If you are an accomplished rider, there are few things better than riding a twinshock against modern bikes and winning.

Most people who have enjoyed riding and owning a twinshock (or classic) bike and then sell it, later wish they hadn't.

I'd have said the opposite - an old bike will develop your skills more as you need to accomodate the machines abilities. A new bike will make classic sections much easier but wheres the fun in that? The alternative is to do increasingly harder modern trials I suppose and that is down to you. Another alternative is to get an older, heavier and slower bike and use that to challenge you or get some other friends??

And remember an old bike is always the best excuse for being rubbish, thats why I ride a '61 greeves - modern bike = no excuses!

Thanks for the input people, :bouncy:

If could afford it, i'd take the majority view and keep the Honda and buy a cheap mono.

Unfortunately without selling the TLR all I could get would be an old piece of tat that would keep breaking down and wouldn't help at all!

So i've decided to bite the bullet and flog the Honda. :wacko:

I've got three bikes lined up for inspection, all with p/ex possibilities, a 2001 Mont 315, a 2003 Beta 250 rev3, or a 2003 Gas Gas TXT250 (non pro).

The mont is the cheapest and the Beta the most expensive, but they're all pretty close.

Soooo,

What would YOU do!!!??? ;)

Thanks for the input people, :bouncy:

If could afford it, i'd take the majority view and keep the Honda and buy a cheap mono.

Unfortunately without selling the TLR all I could get would be an old piece of tat that would keep breaking down and wouldn't help at all!

So i've decided to bite the bullet and flog the Honda. :wacko:

I've got three bikes lined up for inspection, all with p/ex possibilities, a 2001 Mont 315, a 2003 Beta 250 rev3, or a 2003 Gas Gas TXT250 (non pro).

The mont is the cheapest and the Beta the most expensive, but they're all pretty close.

Soooo,

What would YOU do!!!??? ;)

Sell the TLR and buy a James ;)

Please Please Please re-think - or at least make sure you're definite - I gotta admit I think it's the wrong choice.

Keep hold of the TLR - I would love one, but that's not influencing my decision that much.

Any of those that you buy will depreciate to next to nothing within a few years. The TLR will still be up there, and will still give you as much fun in 3 years.

If you can, save a little and buy a mono in a year.

That's coming from a full time mono rider, not someone who can only see the value in classics.

P.S. What area are you in? I wouldn't like to crush your TLR, but there's always a possibility you could try my Sherco if you're around our neck of the woods.

Edited by bikespace