Up For Scrutineering

tony283

Should I ever be lucky enough to get a ride in the Pre 65 Scottish, and as my Cub wouldn't be popular, can the panel of experts, Chaired by Big John, please put this machine through scrutineeringDSCF2098.jpg

DSCF2102.jpg

DSCF2104.jpg

The carb is made by Mick Uni ( the well known ex pat) and they were around in the 60's I believe?

Tony

Should I ever be lucky enough to get a ride in the Pre 65 Scottish, and as my Cub wouldn't be popular, can the panel of experts, Chaired by Big John, please put this machine through scrutineeringDSCF2098.jpg

DSCF2102.jpg

DSCF2104.jpg

The carb is made by Mick Uni ( the well known ex pat) and they were around in the 60's I believe?

Tony

FWIW Cant see the tyres but assuming they are tubed NOT tubeless the only obvious parts are the carb, which is easy to correct, and the forks that might cause a problem. The purists may have appoplexy at the colour but we are supposed to broad minded nowadays :wacko:

A bike built to your own preferences and i am sure you are very proud of it. One question the footrests seem incredably low slung. How do you get on with them especially in ruts and over and around rocks? They lok like they would snag very easily but that may just be the angle of the photo.

The onus on elegibility at the Scottish Pre65 is very much down to the entrant and only becomes a probem when somebody lodges a protest. Obviously the carb is a no no but otherwise ?

Thaks for sharing anyway. Be interesting to hear "BJ the Judge" view :bouncy:

OTF,

It's an original ex-works RE 350 Bullet prepared originally by DON MORLEY! Last ridden in the Pre 65 in 2005.

The Forks and front wheel are ALL genuine 1960 RE, save for a new Akront rim.

Tubed IRC front and rear, you can see the rear security bolts

Mick will be upset you don't like his carb. Colour selected to contrast with the "Gaunt Edition"

Footrests position, head angle all copied from Beta. Also where they are may look low but it has 12" ground clearance! a little more than the original 5.5" when it left the factory.

All the construction details are on my blog in the November articles, this one is called "Reshaping a Bullet"

Tony

OTF,

It's an original ex-works RE 350 Bullet prepared originally by DON MORLEY! Last ridden in the Pre 65 in 2005.

The Forks and front wheel are ALL genuine 1960 RE, save for a new Akront rim.

Tubed IRC front and rear, you can see the rear security bolts

Mick will be upset you don't like his carb. Colour selected to contrast with the "Gaunt Edition"

Footrests position, head angle all copied from Beta. Also where they are may look low but it has 12" ground clearance! a little more than the original 5.5" when it left the factory.

All the construction details are on my blog in the November articles, this one is called "Reshaping a Bullet"

Tony

I have been looking for this article and was obviously searching in the wrong place. Yes I can vouch for this bike being ridden in 2005 by Wullie Stewart from Lochinver! OK Tony has done a lot of work on it, only slight snag is the carb. They won't knock it back for the colour, I quite like it after all the works reps were a funny colour of green frame in 1959!

I spotted the IRC rear and presumed it had a tube in there, again not a problem. It's definately not that trick I bet she still weighs a good bit then?

Bring it over...I would stick an entry in for 2009 if I were you and I think given your personal history at the SSDT, which, again can all be vouched for...

Big John

Thank you for the once over.

For the history buffs Mikuni had manufacturing rights for AMAL since 1932!! and produced their "own" carbs from 1949 onwards so in my humble opinion that makes them just as legal as some Maybe Villiers Lawnmower carb???

Strange there is all the fuss about front forks with modern internals yet nobody is bothered with the latest rear shocks from Betor?

I had a Mikuni on my 1972 Sherpa which was only 7 years later than the cutoff so I'm assuming a Mikuni was available back in 64?

Rules are Rules!

Tony

Thanks once again, Yes I do have some vintage Doherty grips, you know the ones that leave the palm of your hand Jet Black and don't like oil or petrol anywhere near them!

With regard to air, it was "hand pumped" using 1946 forearms and shoulders.

The purple colour came from a "Scottish Thistle"

Tony

I knew it!

There is still a source of Docherty style handlebar grips you know!

I was hoping you had an old air-bottle with genuine pre-65 air inside. I suppose 1946 forearms are a viable alternative and therefore render the machine 100% authentic - PASSED!

By the way can you grind down some thistles for me sometime Tony?

Big John