Setting Up Carb On '08 270

dell

I probably should have told the whole story :rolleyes: i had a new one ordered but was told they wouldn't have one for over a month so i bought this off someone who only did one trial on it and said they couldn't handle the power. Petrol is pi**ing out of it, so i'm gonna strip it down tonight and clean it, don't know if it has been messed with so not sure if it's even set up the way it should be. So was just looking for any tips.

Hope that explains things a bit better :shutup:

a up there chaps a mate of mine has just got one and it runs ok when its on the flat but as soon as you go down a hill or up it runs weak after tryin alsorts he got to the bottom of the problem it was the float height now its spot on good machine hope this helps good luck

GEZ, I'm experiencing similar problems. I am also looking for the float height setting on the 08 Beta with KEIHIN carb. My bike will stall on flat sometimes (no rhyme or reason) and I'm guessing it's flooding out. Bike will USUALLY start back up if let sit 20 -30 seconds and run fine. This problem has existed intermittently since new, about 2 1/2 months now....good thing only practicing.

GEZ, I'm experiencing similar problems. I am also looking for the float height setting on the 08 Beta with KEIHIN carb. My bike will stall on flat sometimes (no rhyme or reason) and I'm guessing it's flooding out. Bike will USUALLY start back up if let sit 20 -30 seconds and run fine. This problem has existed intermittently since new, about 2 1/2 months now....good thing only practicing.

My kill switch is always screwing up. When mine doesn't want to start I unplug the kill switch.

Last year 100% of the 5 new 2007 Beta's sold in Michigan all had the kill switches fail. Not a matter of if but when. We normally switch to the Yamaha style switch.

I will have to assume that the kill switch problem has not been fixed and I will replace the one on my new 08 Rev as well..

To bad Beta took the time to have the trickest looking kill switch on the market that is useless.

If you can't find the exact setting, which is always better, a very good setting to start with is to adjust the float height so the bottom edge of the floats are parallel with the carburetor base just when the float needle closes.

This is very difficult to explain in writing, but very easy to do once you grasp the idea. I have used this procedure for years in many different brands of carburetors with no problems at all. Always use the factory settings when availble though.

JMcK...I grasp the idea and will take a look at it this weekend...Thank you! I did find by the recommended float height setting on the Keihin website at 19mm and some other useful tips/checks to ensure free movement of the float.

Got the details of the carb with a diagram of the float level from Lampkins.

Main : 110

Pilot : 48

Needle : At highest notch (richest)

Mixture screw : 1/2 a turn out

For float level turn the carb upside down, the top of the floats as you look at it should be parallel with the body of the carb.

My bike was running lean down low at the weekend, so I changed the needle height as it was in the fourth notch, and I adjusted the floats which stopped the overflowing too when the bike is at an angle. Sounds good on the stand but haven't had a real chance to try it out.

One other thing. I heard that along the line the needles changed. Not sure how true this is. Mine says JJH, is that what everyone has ?

Edited by Dell