Car Problem Disturbs Trials Activity!

sam

I have 1997 Honda CRV with a bad U-Joint in rear! My local mechanic says he will not touch it, Honda says must replace drive shaft, $1000.00.

I found after market U-Joint for $29.95, with instructions! Mechanic says very hard to install and keep in balance.

Any suggestions, I would rather spend money on Motorcycle trials parts!

sam

I have replaced quite a few sets of U Joints on trucks, S-10, F150, Chevy 1500, late 80's to mid 90's.

Never seen the honda CRV U joints, but I can't imagine that the construction is too different from vehicle to vehicle.

I am assuming that the CRV is a rear wheel drive.

All of the U joints I have done the rear of the drive shaft has 2 holes (yokes me thinks) that the U Joints are pressed into and out of. (I redneck and use hammer.) The other 2 "caps" are attached to the Differentional with 2 U bolts. 4 nuts total. Just remove nuts and re-install after the other 2 "caps" are pressed into the drive shaft. Just remember to jack the rear of the vehicle high enough so that the transmision fluid or gear lube stays in the tranny when you pull the drive shaft out of rear of tranny. All I have seen are just a splined shaft with a seal that slide in and out.

Hope that all makes sense.

In all the ones I have done I never worried about doing any type of balancing, because I never did anything to the drive shaft just swapped the U joints and those should be balanced from the factory. Always worked good.

Now remember the disclaimer: The Honda CRV may have a different design than I have seen. But I think you may be able to handle it. Just take your time and don't throw tools, (my wife would pick them up and hide them on me I finally learned.)

Hope this helps

Edited by ZIPPY

Put it on Sam and see how badly its misballanced.

I have a couple of meathods to ballancing a shaft on the vehcile.

I have a vectronix on vehicle ballancer if needed but i dont know if i have all of the necessary stuff needed.

I mainly use it to measure vibration not source it out but it can ballance a driveshaft.

That would be meathod 1.

Meathod 2 is (very hit and miss)

Get all 4 wheels off the ground. Have the wife spin it up for ya and hold a pencil to the shaft to see where the high spot is or point of mis ballance.

Install two 2 hose clamps with the screw portions facing 180 degrees appart from eachother at that spot. Loosen and bring the hose clamps together a bit. Test. Loosen and bring them closer again. test. loosen and bring them farther apart. If your having problems visualizing this call me.

When are we riding out back and how is that barn comming!?!?!

--Biff

Thanks for the rapid response!

I did actually shoot a E-mail to Click and Clack!

I did talk to a drive shaft specialty shop, they said no promises, bring in after market U-joint and drive shaft, they would place it on some type of high tech balancer. Just thought I would see if anyone out there has experienced this same problem.

Zippy and Biff, Thanks for the detailed tips! No barn Biff, I became a little leary of the economy and saving pennies, but this does mean more level parking for the April comp!

sam :banana2:

Edited by Sam