Majesty Tank?

zarkoff

hi there yam fans i have just purchased a ty250 twinshock , and i thought it was a standard ty but on checking the frame numbers i have been told it is a john shirt model but the tank is just like a standard ty am i right in thinking that some majesty's had a standard tank? . most ones i have seen have the coffin shaped type any help would be appreciated .

thanks ZARKOFF.

As far as I know all Majesty bikes would have had the coffin tank. If it is a Majesty, it's possible the coffin tank could have been replaced with a standard TY item. Maybe it got damaged beyond repair or whatever.

If your bike has a Yam frame you can easily tell if it is a Majesty as the frame behind the toolbox above the cylinder head will have a cut-out to clear the spark plug, necessary when the engine cradle was lifted 2" higher on a Majesty. On a standard TY the spark plug won't foul this part of the frame.

If it is a Godden frame then it is definitely a Majesty. Memory isn't brilliant but Godden frame numbers began with the year of manufacture such as 81 *** or 82 ***. Yam frame should begin with 49*.

Just out of interest, who told you that the frame number relates to a Shirt model?

My Majesty I am doing has a standard Yamaha tank. But could be for the same reason as Woody says. I am also interested in who told you about the frame number. My bike is a 78 S plate with mainly blue on the tank stripes. Also has a Mick Andrews sticker above the fuel filler cap, a bit worn now though. I will change for the coffin tank though as I think it makes the bike. (IMO) Cheers. :rolleyes:

As far as I know all Majesty bikes would have had the coffin tank. If it is a Majesty, it's possible the coffin tank could have been replaced with a standard TY item. Maybe it got damaged beyond repair or whatever.

If your bike has a Yam frame you can easily tell if it is a Majesty as the frame behind the toolbox above the cylinder head will have a cut-out to clear the spark plug, necessary when the engine cradle was lifted 2" higher on a Majesty. On a standard TY the spark plug won't foul this part of the frame.

If it is a Godden frame then it is definitely a Majesty. Memory isn't brilliant but Godden frame numbers began with the year of manufacture such as 81 *** or 82 ***. Yam frame should begin with 49*.

Just out of interest, who told you that the frame number relates to a Shirt model?

hi there thanks for the reply i think you are right about the tank being replaced and here is a link to the site where i found out about the frame number

http://www.tytrials.co.uk/technicalarticles_302159.html

and here are some pics

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

i wont say how much i paid for it but it wasnt a lot!!!! it does want quit a bit doing to it but i think it would be worth spending money on.

Fantastic buy!! Wish some were available over here, especially at that price.

When you come to rebuild it remember the front mudguard stay goes the other way round which allows the brake cable to be fitted correctly.

I had to build mine from scratch.

see "Yes your Majesty" on my blog

Tony

Hi all,could somebody just explain to me about the Majesty frame shown in zarkoff's photo,i was under the impression that that the frame section under the engine was cut away on the Majesty and replaced by a heavy duty sump pan,or was this only on certain models?

No I think your are referring to the Godden later frame. The early bike still has the bottom tubes and sump guard. All the work in raising the engine did not affect the bottom tubes. You can just make out on the pic the cut out for the spark plug. Got one of these myself but I had to pay a lot more than Zarcoff paid. :banana2:

Having no frame tubes under the engine isn't a feature of a Majesty, the standard Yamaha TY250 twinshock was produced that way. Yamaha framed Majesty used the ordinary TY sumpguard, Godden frame used a flat sumpguard

Thanks you all for the info,I know there has been bits posted before on this with regards to the differences in the different models, does anyone know of a website dedicated to the Majesty models.One last thing,was there a TY175 Majesty that retained the bottom rails and sump pan,and if so was the engine raised on this also.I was thinking about getting a old TY175 frame and trying to make it into Majesty spec,anyone out there done it?

I was thinking about getting a old TY175 frame and trying to make it into Majesty spec,anyone out there done it?

Hi Andy, I bought a frame off ebay recently with the intention of trying this, after giving it a lot of thought its not just a simple as cutting the bottom rails off, the back rear engine mount as you know is fitted to the rail going across which is at the same level as the bottom rails, which makes it pointless to cut of the bottom rails.

The Majesty and most variations seemed to have a plate which held the footrests and swinging arm and had another tube across holding the rear engine mounts, i decided that it was going to be far to much work, not to mention theres an awfull lot of cutting to be done around the steering head to be able to move that to a more modern angle.

So the idea got binned, what i'm doing instead with the frame is removing all the silly little brackets that dont do anything, those 2 splined bits on the bottom rails! And if i can get in with the dremmel those 2 little brackets that are hidden under the toolbox, just going to see how much lighter i can make it, if i go to far well the frame only cost