Rev -3 Clutch Effort

firstgear

The standard spring cap is just a flat washer so the top of the spring is level with the top of the posts in the clutch centre basket, my caps are stepped so the springs are compressed 3mm less so they have less pre load making the clutch lighter. I think this makes sense at this late hour!!! :D

Simpley the springs arent squashed as mutch!!!

IKB

I see, nice job.

I didn't know what standard ones looked like but noticed how thick the tops were! I see the stepped piece inside the spring now.

IKB

I would also be interested in how much you are looking for a set.

Have you had them in place long and what are your findings?

Hi,

I have only had them in for a few days, the clutch is lighter and seems to work OK. I will know better after the weekend!!!

Ian

Not sure if this is total relavent but i've a 2007 Beta and found the clutch a bit ON OFF switch, but thats it. What i haven't found is a problem in the pulling in of the lever, and this is not meant to be read in any way as being nasty but the clutch on my bike is standard (six spring etc) and is very easy to opporate with one finger! I'm wondering if the elderly guy who needs the clutch made easy should be riding trials at all and can he walk unassisted? I'd be looking at why he's having problems with the clutch and then seek advise from a doctor if he's got problems with his hands or mobility. My father-in-law is 83 and yes the beta clutch is okay for him he wanted a go - silly old boy.

Not sure if this is total relavent but i've a 2007 Beta and found the clutch a bit ON OFF switch, but thats it. What i haven't found is a problem in the pulling in of the lever, and this is not meant to be read in any way as being nasty but the clutch on my bike is standard (six spring etc) and is very easy to opporate with one finger! I'm wondering if the elderly guy who needs the clutch made easy should be riding trials at all and can he walk unassisted? I'd be looking at why he's having problems with the clutch and then seek advise from a doctor if he's got problems with his hands or mobility. My father-in-law is 83 and yes the beta clutch is okay for him he wanted a go - silly old boy.

Spud people have different levels of strength and also your body will adjust to a heavier clutch in time. On my previous betas the clutch hasnt been a problem but on recent try of a mates 08 Beta my arm was pumping up inside 10 mins. I dont know if this is because the Beta clutch is now heavier or because I am now used to a lighter clutch on my Sherco ?

As for me I don't use a ramp to put my bike in the truck. I pick it up. But at the end of a 4 hour trial with the stock clutch I was having problems holding in the clutch and dropping points as a result of the lever slipping out of my finger and I won't ride with two fingers on the clutch. I had that hand slip off the bars once and it was ugly. Maybe you farm lads who are pitching hay all day or the guys who can practice 5 days a week have better hand strength but many weekend warriors spend the day in front of a keyboard and just don't have the "Kung Fu" grip. Any trials bike clutch feels fine for quick ride around the yard.

Edited by Dan Williams
  • Like 1

Spud

I will not mention your comments to my father so you won't have to worry about getting a good a-kicking from a 68 year old Ex-Marine. :iamwithstupid:

On a serious note, he is in very good shape its just different when you are on a bike for 3-4 hours. In Michigan we are not blessed with good trials terrain

so we often have tight and technical sections that can be very demanding on the forearms.

I personally can ride 3 days straight in a U.S. National and never get arm pump but at a one day local M.O.T.A. event I can at times find myself getting severe

arm pump 3 laps into a 4-5 lap event. Beta's clutch is not a heavy clutch by any means, I think we are all just doing some fine tuning and discussing our findings with others.

With just a little time in cleaning the stock clutch up and adding the washer shims he has made significant improvements in his clutch pull. This has made a noticable improvement

in his forearms holding up for the day.

Nothing replaces quality time on the bike to get the muscles in shape but if a 20-30% reduction in clutch effort can be gained without slippage than it a good thing.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Spud

I will not mention your comments to my father so you won't have to worry about getting a good a-kicking from a 68 year old Ex-Marine. :icon_salut:

On a serious note, he is in very good shape its just different when you are on a bike for 3-4 hours. In Michigan we are not blessed with good trials terrain

so we often have tight and technical sections that can be very demanding on the forearms.

I personally can ride 3 days straight in a U.S. National and never get arm pump but at a one day local M.O.T.A. event I can at times find myself getting severe

arm pump 3 laps into a 4-5 lap event. Beta's clutch is not a heavy clutch by any means, I think we are all just doing some fine tuning and discussing our findings with others.

With just a little time in cleaning the stock clutch up and adding the washer shims he has made significant improvements in his clutch pull. This has made a noticable improvement

in his forearms holding up for the day.

Nothing replaces quality time on the bike to get the muscles in shape but if a 20-30% reduction in clutch effort can be gained without slippage than it a good thing.

I agree, if we can reduce clutch effort, then by all means, lets do it. My Rev 3 that I bought off of Mason DeBolt in Michigan had a super nice clutch. I'm wondering if maybe firstgear had cleaned it up for him? Now my Evo clutch seems very lacking, and sporadic! 

I am cleaning up my 2011 250 EVO clutch plates tomorrow, and would love to pick up the correct size shims today. Anybody have anymore input on this? Shim thickness, OD, and ID sizes?

I assume the shim/washer goes on the post side? The pic of the machined piece above makes me think maybe I am wrong in putting it on the post side of the spring. 

Thanks,

Jason 

I just did Dan's clutch fix on my 2011 2t 250 Evo, and added a small washer between the stock washer and the post. This reduces the spring preload, and makes a lighter clutch. I have NO slipping, even in high gear. I may add another washer and see what that does.

The washer measures approx 10-11mm OD, and is snug on bolt, which I believe is a 6mm ID. I don't know thickness, but would guess about 1mm.

This picture shows stock set-up on left with new washer in front of it, new setup in the middle, and the right is the washer off my dad's 2011 Evo 4t 300. We think his was a factory team bike.

CLUTCH FEELS FANTASTIC! Mostly because it's not dragging anymore, and is consistent.

post-20255-0-77813200-1430472394_thumb.jpg

• Like 1