Bike Flooded With Water

chr155_d

Please help,

i have driven my 2oo7 sherco through water and flooded it through the air box (dont ask how i was stupid enough to do this)

i have taken off the airbox and took the plug out, tryed heating a new plug and putting that in and kicking it over, plug just got wet. any suggestions on how to sort this big big mistake would be greatlyu appreciated

IF YOU HAVE TAKEN THAT MUCH WATER IN I GUESE ITS A FULL STRIP DOWN . MY MATE FLOODED HIS A WHILE BACK HE TOOK YHE OLUG OUT AND HUNG IT FROM ITS FRONT WHEEL OF HIS GARAGE ROOF FOR AFEW DAYS TO TRY AND DRAIN THE WATER AND LUCKY ENOUUGH IT WORKED ;)

take the plug out, turn bike upside down and kick it over until no more moisture comes out ,fit fresh air filter ,clean out carb and it will start eventually .remember to change gearbox oil .if you are going to leave it overnight spray wd40 down the bore but the sooner you get it started the better

When you get them full of water you really need to ge it fired up

asap otherwise the water will rust the main bearings this only

takes a couple of day's if left,and then you will need a engine strip down

to replace the bearings!

My son flooded his KX 250 in a creek. Plenty of sand came through the foam air filter and would have ruined the main bearings had we just drained the engine and restarted it. We took the head off and flushed the engine with alcohol to remove the water and then used WD-40 to to foam out the crank case. We put a 1/4" plastic tube to the bottom and sucked out the sand and dirt with a vacuum pump. You can tell when you have all the sand out by rotating the crank. When it doesn't feel gritty you have it clean. I would go ahead and replace the wrist pin and bearing. The crank bearings should be OK. Make sure to pour 2 stroke oil into the crank chamber and and rotate the crank to distribute it around before you put the head back on. Take off the carb and clean it. I would also take off the reed block and make sure its is clean. Clean out your air box. When you have everything back together it will smoke like hell for a while but you won't have to split the cases to replace the main bearing any time soon.

Hope this helps.

PS

If you dunked it in absolutely clean water you might be able to get away with a less stringent procedure.

Cheers

DFW

Edited by dfwilson

As soon as it happens , whip the tank off , take out air filter, take the spark plug out . put the bike in second gear, turn bike upside down . Then spin the back wheel as fast as you can. This will turn the engine over and you will observe water coming out of plug hole ,keep spinning until NO Water comes out of plug hole . Reassemble bike without air filter ,try to dry inside of airbox if possible. full choke kick oir push start bike . Run for an hour or so . When home strip carb and dry air filter

As soon as it happens , whip the tank off , take out air filter, take the spark plug out . put the bike in second gear, turn bike upside down . Then spin the back wheel as fast as you can. This will turn the engine over and you will observe water coming out of plug hole ,keep spinning until NO Water comes out of plug hole . Reassemble bike without air filter ,try to dry inside of airbox if possible. full choke kick oir push start bike . Run for an hour or so . When home strip carb and dry air filter

This is the less stringent method that will work if you are positively sure that the water was absolutely clean and had no hint of silt or sand.

DFW

Read this thread the other day, was going to put a cheeky reply. then in a trial today came off in knee deep water and dropped the bike upsde down in a waterfall . i was ****t1ng myself.. BEWARE OF TRIALS KARMA

I have done that, more times than I like to tell

I am not inclined to do much pushing to get home, so anything that washes thorugh the air filter will likely either find its own way out or I will be doing some rebuilding, later on! Trailside method is all I have ever used, although I have pulled the tops and flushed with Kero later! :)

2 yrs ago I dropped my Sherco in the creek. That day I pulled the plug, turn it upside down and kick it over like mad for a while, cleaned my air filter with some 2-stroke premix gas and drain carb. Got it to fire up, finished the trial. (last place as per my norm.) And continued to ride for that season and next.

This past winter I did an almost total rebuild, the only thing not changed piston, rod, crankshaft and big end bearing. Upon taking it apart I discovered a thick crust of dirt and silt on the reed cage and in the intake tract of the cases. I think I found out what killed my main bearings and my rings. Mains were so bad if standing with engine off and hitting the end of the handlebar you could hear the crankshaft clunking from side to side. When I tore it down before splitting the cases, I could move the crankshaft approx. 1/8 inch or more side to side.

But it all better now, wish it was clear water though. :)