Rules?

Guest majestyman340

Wish I did - it would give the bike a far easier time, but I haven't been in that territory since I was about 13 unfortunately....

You riding the Harry Perry next Saturday - still time to enter. Should be a good one. Plenty of rocks so you should feel at home and should be a healthy smattering of twinshocks. I'll be punishing myself on the Bult again.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest majestyman340
At one of the classic rounds last year, i noticed one of the regular decent riders had replaced the forks on his (pretty tidy) TLR250 with the forks & hub from a TY mono,

This bloke knows a bit about modifying bikes & said it was a marked improvement over the standard Honda setup, this was a surprise to me as i rate the 35mm showas & brake as pretty bloody good.

Anyway, having started paying attention to forks after that, i started noticing a few other bikes with aforementioned mono forks, with riders stating improved performance as the reason for upgrading.

Really, i don't think there is a huge advantage to be gained by this, but technically a line needs to be drawn, perhaps only forks/brakes/engines from other twinshock bikes can be fitted? i don't know.

Thats the sort of sensible viewpoint that might generate some rules that might stop twinshock going down the pan like P65.....................any retro fit parts from other twinshock bikes fine, but mono parts means bikes go in specials class.

I couldn't make my mind up initially which thread to reply to as this one and the ACU Classic Championship thread are on similar lines in respect of Majestyman340's views on the events and the bikes that are being ridden.

At the risk of offending a large and loyal band of Majesty Yam fans:

Majestyman340's view of Pre65 machines would be that they are modified beyond what he considers to be sporting, relevant to their original design, to a point where he now referred to them as "Brit Specials" much to the disgust of many.

He has also stated that rules should be put in place to stop the same thing happening to the Twinshock class.

This is surely a bit hypocritical as he owns (so he says) on of the first "SPECIALS" that took a mediocre bike (getting a bit long in the tooth) and modified it to the point where became a World round winner in the hands of Mick Andrews and a bike that is so popular and sort after today that they are fetching very good money for machines that are far from pristine. (One just sold on Ebay for well over two grand).

After all Majestyman340, we are talking about a bike that no longer has the same frame or suspension geometry, engine position or in some cases (such as yours) the standard engine capacity.

Majesty's have been around so long now that they are a respected part of "Trials Folklore" and worthy of a second glance wherever you ride in most instances, (as I am a committed Yamaha Twinshock fan) but they were a "SPECIAL" in their day and by your thinking they still should be classed as SPECIAL in their own category". (Even a "BRIT SPECIAL", as it was the Brits who did the modifying).

I ride a "standard TY250" but it ain't standard by any means with the modifications that I have done to it to make it better (in my mind anyway) but it isn't very special either.

If I have offended any Majesty owners out there, then that was not my intention and for that I apologize, but Majestyman340 needs to understand that "SPECIAL" can mean anything that is modified from it's original design.

Guest majestyman340

The whole point of starting this thread was to see if anyone felt it was worth sorting out some rules which would prevent twinshock going down the drain in the same way as "P65", where most people are using costly after market chassis kits, and any number of silly billet alloy add on parts.

In my view the brit specials as ridden in the higher level events bear no relationship to either original P65 machines, or to the true spirit of competitive events intended for older machinery..............very much a case of the person prepared to spend the most money, has a very vastly improved chance of winning against riders of similiar or even greater ability.

Fitting later monoshock forks to original twinshock machines, seems to me the start of the slippery slope that will lead to converted monoshock hybrid bikes, fitting later monoshock motors, and aping the current "P65" fashion for expensive after market chassis kits.

If everyone is OK with needing to spend minimum

• 3 weeks later...

I think you have just about nailed it Lee. Pretty much sums up the scene when looked at with a sensible approach. There will always be people who take much pleasure in tinkering and improving their machines. Fair enough, create a specials class. I wonder how long it would take for the entries in the specials class overtake the standard class! :thumbup: