Knee Brace

rob140

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting over a ACL knee opp looking for a knee brace

i have a web moto x brace i wore before the opp but its a bit big

looking for something not so bulky but must be hinged any ideas ?

I wore one of these for around 5 years, by the time the 4th Surgeon screwed up yet another operation i literally lived in the brace. I even slept in it as it was so comfy and the pain without it was that bad. Wasn't cheap but i still get use out of it when i put it on my clients. Best bit of blagging i ever did when i convinced the NHS to get it for me. :hyper:

CTi 180 Brace

Donjoy all the way, but I would wait until your leg was strong enough to squat on it by its self. Had acls replaced in both knees this year, right one in January left one in September I won't ride until August, I want them to work.

What are the general symptoms/problems with everybody's knees?

My left knee feels knackered, it creaks and causes a lot of pain - wakes me up during the night, can't straighten it some days and then can't bend it other days... :wacko:

PS.

I broke my knee cap in a car crash almost 20 years ago, could it just be that?

Edited by Kinell

What's an ACL? Janet my partner has just had her second Knee "go".. it's ligaments: I understand there are four in or around the knee and that ligament connects muscle to bone.. and in the case of the knee hold the joint together, she has been to the GP who as usual fobbed her off (is this the first duty of GP nowadays?) and gone to local "health" shop seen a physio and ordered a couple of braces, she had been borrowing one from a friend and found it benificial inso far as her knee was unable to collapse when dabbing. It seems there are loads of people with dodgy knees in trials most, probably like me with a bit of arthritis, then you have ACL (is this jagged edges of cartiledge scraping about?) and then you have the ligament folk. Is it one cure for all ? how do you get to see somebody who knows what they are talking about? I would be interested to hear from people who have or have had ligament problems

ACL = anterior cruciate ligament -its the most common ligament to damage and once torn doesnt repair itself, your knee gives way unexpectadly and you quite literally fall over when you least expect it.

the repair involves using a bit of either your hamstring or patellar to make a new tendon and invloves quite invasive surgery (involving drills and blood !)

wilkipedia explanation

more common cartilage damage is where bits of cartilage come off and float around the knee causing pain and sometimes loss of movement - (sounds like Kinells complaint) its quite simple to fix through keyhole surgery.

However for those of you in the UK the big problem is getting our NHS to do anything about either. - you have to make a real nuisance of yourself and persist - they will do everything to put you off having any operation - i spent years going to physio and consultations before putting my foot down (with the risk of my knee collapsing :wacko: ) and getting them to put me on the waiting list. - once on the list however i cannot praise them enough - i had surgery within the year and brilliant physio follow up and my knee now works. i dont need a brace riding trials but do keep the muscle built up with cycling.

braces are no replacement - go back to your GP and dont give up.

Edited by overthehill

torn acl in both knees and i wear a cti on both knees. it's better than another operation. at 46 i'll never be as strong as when i was 18 or 20 and i can't work out enough to build back what i've lost. the braces are cheap insurance to helping you recover and hopefully never re injuring the knee.

once you hurt a knee it's never the same, i did my first one 28 years ago racing mx i have 2 staples and a pin in the left knee and all the carthlidge(sp) has been removed. a torn right acl that i won't get repaired until i can't walk. i use the braces for extra support as trials is usually putting us in slippery places and one wrong move and bang popped knee.

if you don't have bad knees remember to train hard to avoid it at all cost. also what i've learned is some people like myself are prone to knee injuries. the way my knee is made makes it easier to hurt the ligaments. the last dr. said something about the location of the attachment points of my ligaments.

rob

HI ALL AS 1ST LISTED WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST KNEE BRACE IS THE CTI SMALLER THINER THAN THE WEB BRACE I GOT

WHEN YOU WEAR THE WEB BRACE ITS TIGHT UNDER TRIALS TROUSERS IS THE CTI AND OTHER BRACE THINNER AND ARE THEY HINDGED

ALSO WHERE CAN I GET A CTI IN THE SOUTH WEST

CHEWY SPOKE TO JANET ON SUNDAY REF KNEE PROBS TOLD HER TO GO TO A PHYSIO ASAP IF GOING TO SCOTLAND

Technology in Motion were great when it came to sorting mine out. I had a trip to London to sort it out but it looks like they sell through dealers nowadays.

Technology in Motion Clinics

The hinge was great, it was adjustable and it also had locks so i could limit range of movement which enabled me to train my leg well without going to far. Nobody ever knew i had it on at trials apart from when i wore shorts at biketrials. Probably the same as buying a bike or helmet. Go and try a few on as its such an important investment for you, see which feels the best.

My orginal physiotherapist is a CTi distributor. You could do worse than go visit him, have a proper consultation followed by a brace fitting. It's gonna cost some money, but you'll get the right tool for the job.

http://www.activ8rehab.co.uk/pages/activekneebracing.asp

Personally, I'm undecided. I too am recovering from ACL surgery. I think I'm going with the strong legs theory, rather than a brace. The way I see it at the moment, I'd rather spend the brace money on physio and gym sessions and see how that goes..

The idea of a brace induced broken femur does not sit well with me, think I'd rather have another knee reconstrution.

My orginal physiotherapist is a CTi distributor. You could do worse than go visit him, have a proper consultation followed by a brace fitting. It's gonna cost some money, but you'll get the right tool for the job.

http://www.activ8rehab.co.uk/pages/activekneebracing.asp

Personally, I'm undecided. I too am recovering from ACL surgery. I think I'm going with the strong legs theory, rather than a brace. The way I see it at the moment, I'd rather spend the brace money on physio and gym sessions and see how that goes..

The idea of a brace induced broken femur does not sit well with me, think I'd rather have another knee reconstrution.

Thanks for the contact :wacko:

I'm currently using an asterisk Cell Knee brace after 2 ops on my right knee ( ACL reconstruction - Patella Graft, medial meniscus repair, partial lateral meniscetomy & chondroplasty of lateral femoral condyle) and I can't remember the last op notes!

Anyway back on topic, the astrisk is a quality well built brace which appears bulky at first, but you can't tell you're wearing it when riding, it also has adjustable hyperextension protection and the knee cup is removable.

I bought mine off ebay via the USA and think a pair cost me

i've been wearing cti since 1989 and never once a problem. while i agree with the strong muscle theory myself there's no way for your knee to take a 1,000 pound force hit or twist. an acl operation takes a long time to heal, the brace is cheap compared to that.

good luck and i'm glad your taking it seriously because it can happen

rob