Tubeless Tire Repair

wardo

Hello All,

Last weekend I got a 1/4" pinch flat slit in my Michelin tire, right where the tread meets the sidewall between two knobs. It happened with 12 sections to go so I just rode it out, the bead never popped off and the rim was undamaged (but my score was abysmal!). Having never repaired a tubeless tire before, I just placed a patch on the inside of the tire per the instructions. Initially it held air, but within a couple of sections of practice it was leaking bad again. How can I permanently repair a slit like this? Can I pull off the old patch and put on a new one? Also, the sidewall feels flexier, did it break down while I was riding it flat? Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Ward

Edited by wardo

They make tire patches now that install from the inside and have a plug device that goes through the hole to keep it in place. I have not tried one in a trials tire.

Your best bet may be to put TWO conventional tire plugs in the hole with lots of glue.

I have seen Jeoff Aaron, US champ, ride this way without problem!

:wacko:

I've used the patches that copemech mentioned with the part the pulls through the hole. They work ok, but can be a little expensive. I think they're referred to as "Tech patches" over here. I've also had some success with the standard plugs too. They're not as tidy, but seem to work decent.

If the tear is too big, there's nothing that will fix it premanent, other than a new tire. I cut 2 that way last year...fortunately I can still get some use out of them on my enduro bike (with patch and a tube)

Inside patches work well, but I haven't used one on a big slice.

I have used several plugs in a hole.

Be careful about making the hole bigger by jamming too many plugs in.

I have also used 'slime' tire sealant after a particularly troublesome plug job, and it worked very well.

Dog turds are the way to go for "on the spot" repairs.

Then when you get home, fix the hole from the inside using a heavy duty patch, after cleaning the inside of the tyre thoroughly with thinners.

This method never fails, have used it many times as a permanent repair on tubeless tyres.

I think I went wrong by not cleaning the inside well enough, what thinners do you use T-shock? I put a plug in it today, we'll see how that works... I've got my doubts as it is right on the junction of the tread and sidewall, certainly a high stress area. I'll just keep at it.... So far none of you have offered an opinion on the sidewall rigidity breaking down while riding my last twelve sections... my enduro experience would tell me there is definitely damage, but I'd love to hear from more experienced trials folk. Should I be able to feel a difference? I think I do.

Thanks for all the input!

Wardo

Edited by wardo

Sorry Wardo, I did forget to comment on that....I tend to agree with Charlie, I don't think it will make a big difference. The sidewall may soften some, but I don't think it will have any negative effect, like on the enduro tires.

The wire wheel is probably a good suggestion, although a dose of double dog turds did the trick. We'll see how they hold up. As an aside, I love changing tires on my trials bike! For enduros and desert racing the stiff sidewalls, double rim locks (XR 650R) and extra HD tubes make it more of an ordeal. Without all that I can change a tire as quick as the ISDT guys....

Ward