Cheap New Tyres

dr nick

Where tyres are concerned it is possible to get trials tyres at a very good price IF you are careful and use a little nerve/savvy. Go to your local bike show - there is usually one stand which has some trials tyres - wait until the show is nearly finished ie 4pm or so and approach the stand for the price of tyre. Point out to the stand holder that it is better that you take home the tyre rather than him and make an offer which is close? to what he quoted you. 9 times out of 10 you can make a deal which suits both parties - remember money talks but credit cards add to price.

I got a Michelin rear for

You lot really dont know how cheap yer sport is do ya??

When we were running our grasstrack sidecar outfit we would do 2 trials tyres a meeting (and that was been tight as they would only last one race and we did 4 !! )

The cheapo tyres were no good as they were too hard and did not bite but the ones that gripped were x11's and the pirellis , but we could only make em last 2 races.

A tyre lasts me a year on a trials bike now , but even if you arent a tight a*** then surely no more than 2 a year!!

Some friends of mine ( going off on a tangent) whose road race outfit i look after have just entered a 2 day meeting at cadwell , and that has cost the

At that price Mark I am quite happy to fit a tubeless tyre to the bike with a tube in it - lets just say I was pleasantly surprised when i was quoted the price. I must admit a new tyre does not do that much for my performance.

Perhaps next year i will be able to get my tyres as part worn ones from my local SSDT competitor.

G

Here in OZ the Mitas competition trials tyres are also far cheaper than Michelin, Dunlop and Pirelli but due mainly to their low profile shape (shorter contact patch) they perform quite poorly in trials competition compared with the others.

However one thing that Mitas trials tyres are good for is if you want road registration for your trials bike they have US DOT approval so can be used on the road here in Australia and are far better than any other trials type tyre that has DOT approval.

Mitas trials tyres also sell like hot cakes for flat track (sliders) racing on decomposed granite tracks where previously the rear Michelin XII trials tyre was the favourite (because they are far cheaper but perform on that surface just as well).

By the way the standard retail price for a rear Michelin tubeless XII here is AU$180 which is virtually the same as 60 UK quid.

David Lahey

Queensland

Australia