1970s Photographs

gii

There's a rare one there, Big John riding a section & he's even got his feet up!

Absolutely true! That was the final sub at Edramucky, near Killin. One of the very few days without rain, a fantastic run down from Achallader. I cleaned the blasted thing and I wondered what the sound was when I went out the section ends cards, it was the spectators clapping, that really made my day, only 31 years ago come May!!!

Big John

(number 216, 1977)

Edited to add:

Robert Little, the photographer is father of Mike Little current trials rider from the Scottish borders, I had not seen that photo before tonight, even although I have known Robert Little since I was a kid! Nice one Bob!

Big John

(ps. I still have that front number plate in the batcave!)

Edited by Big John

Excellent quality considering their age - I assume they were slides or have been scanned from the negatives. all my colour prints from the 80's are washed out.

BJ - Do you think we could put Edramucky back in for the centenary? - it will break up the long haul from Gorgie cattle market :D

WOW ! Great photos ! I've never before seen a good photo of a ktm trials trials bike ! I need to find one ... I always longed to own a penton when I was young ... Just how rare are the ktm trialers ?

Glenn

Fantastic photos.

Specially that one about BJ and his 199A "in action" on that beautifull section.

John: 1977 was 31 years ago. My god!!!!!, we need to ride as much trials as we can in the time we still have ahead......

Fantastic photos.

Specially that one about BJ and his 199A "in action" on that beautifull section.

John: 1977 was 31 years ago. My god!!!!!, we need to ride as much trials as we can in the time we still have ahead......

It was a Bultaco Sherpa model 80 with the later front wheel, later piston, clutch casing and timing set up and the one piece Homerlite tank/seat unit fitted, but it was the larger capacity unit 1.5 gallons, I think. I bought all the parts through our friend Jock Wilson at Comerfords. The major fettling was done by a guy called Derek Green. The rest I did myself including making the number plates and sign-writing them.

As for waterproofing, I had just discovered silicon sealer and put some on the wires from the motor as it exits the casing. Twin condensers under the tank and a spare HT coil in my Bultaco bum-bag. When it went under the water, she just kept on running because the air box was just under the seat and it was much higher than todays' modern bikes. A drain plug on the bottom of the mark 1 concentric Spanish Amal was easily accessable to drain the float bowl of any water ingress. Tyres were "Dunlop Trials Champions". The bike would run for about 50 miles on a full tank and refuelling was done from a one gallon can taken round by my father in the pannier cases of his Honda CB750 F1.

Worst thing about it was the TT Leathers Vystram trials suit, I rode the whole six days with the one suit and wellies! I didn't have enough money to buy a second suit and the old man said "I've given you enough money for the entry and petrol, the rest you do yourself"! You didn't question the old man's finance!!!

I wonder where OSB 391K is today? ... and no I don't want to buy her back!

Big John

WOW ! Great photos ! I've never before seen a good photo of a ktm trials trials bike ! I need to find one ... I always longed to own a penton when I was young ... Just how rare are the ktm trialers ?

Glenn

How rare is one? I never knew of another beyond Walther's. A great pity as a trialer (in those days) of KTM quality would have been really something to own.

BJ - Do you think we could put Edramucky back in for the centenary? - it will break up the long haul from Gorgie cattle market :D

Absolutely OTH! It's a long way from Edinburgh to Fort William just to do the sections at Culross and Mamore plus Town Hall Brae (that's the Rocky brae to local folks) ;)

Big John

How rare is one? I never knew of another beyond Walther's. A great pity as a trialer (in those days) of KTM quality would have been really something to own.

Two actually!

Felix Krahnstover had a KTM trials bike as well as Walther.

Spot on about the build quality 2/4!

Big John

Edited to show photograph:

Found it! I knew it was in the batcave somewhere... 31 year old number plate, 1977 SSDT as per the photo of Robert little. I see I didn't even bother to remove the old fashioned cable ties from it. The scrutineers stuck a Shell Racing Service label on the front plate as indication that the machine had been examined for the trial.

post-26-1207313949.jpg

Edited by Big John

It was a Bultaco Sherpa model 80 with the later front wheel,........................

Big John

Oh yes; sorry about my mistake, it is a model 80 with the alloy tank, 1977 still to early for the 199A to be "in action". The thing is watching those photos I started to think about the bikes and trials I rode back then here in Spain, and suddently realised 1977 is 31 years away when I was using a 348 that I could only start with a big effort, and the year I changed from Montesa to Bultaco to ryde the brand new 199.

Long time ago, lots of trials, and inside myself I still feel I could still race as if I was only 16. Definitely those where the best times in trials, maybe that

GLAD EVERY ONE IS ENJOYING THE PHOTOS. MY DAD SCANED THEM FROM SLIDES THEN POPPED THEM ON A DISC, WHICH IN TURN HIL SORTED THEM ON TO THE COMP,SENT THROUGH TO GORDON IMRIE , WHO THEN PUT THEM ON FOR MY DAD. ALONG PROCES BUT WELL WORTH IT !! THANKS AGAIN GORDON.

WHILE IM ON ID LIKE TO WISH THE NOR

TH EAST LADS ALL THE BEST AT THE SSDT. ESPECIALLY JOHN CHARLTON,ANDREW BATTENSBY AND LEWIS PEART, AS ITS THERE FIRST ONE. CHEERS MIKE

Edited by hilly lit

i have to agree with every one the pictures are just fantastic many thanks for posting

i agree with you greeves wholeheartedly about the non stop rules its the only way forward(excuse the pun)

big john you are a mind full of information about all things Scottish six days you should put it all down in print? and if you already have where can i buy a copy??