Majesty On The Bay

hewson

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is the same bike, which it looks like to me, (there cant be to many others with blue wheels and a WES exhaust that has been modified and aTY tank ). It is an origional Godden framed bike that was bought by a friend of mine and sold to a guy that lives not far from us. The guy that bought it had the wheels annodised and shortened he silencer so it could be fitted without the need for a bracket to be made up. He had the fork yolks bored out to take set of 40mm forks off a mono ( yes thats right 40mm) the last time I saw it also had aTY250 tank as the origional was a bit of a mess. As far as to how much its worth, then surely its worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, hence

The point I was making or trying to make is that, if you have paid good money to buy and restore a bike, you have every right to" try " and recoup that investment if you wish to sell, and the price of a trials bike like a lot of things is almost the " How long is a piece of string " sernario.

I have over the years restored several trials bikes and had a classic srambler built all to very high standards and when I went to sell them for various reasons , came very much unstuck taking in to account the money spent and then received, but I was a willing seller so I wore the loss.

Majestys are very much in vogue at the moment ,are they worth three or four times the value of a 240 Fantic I don t think so, however some people do and are willing to pay.

It will be interesting to see if the sale actually comes to fruition and the price it makes, this bike is of no interest to me and I have no idea of the seller , but I will continue to watch the progress.

Hope that helps

I do not think it is possible to build an "original" Majesty cheaply. First you have to have a donnor bike followed by a Godden frame, chain gaurd, exhuast, seat, alloy tank (not a fiber glass copy) etc etc.

If the donnor bike was cheap a whole bunch of basics will be required: forks rechroming, rims, spokes, brakes relining, mudguards, rear shocks,cables, bars,etc etc, not to mention the engine brining up to Majesty spec.

not to mention the engine brining up to Majesty spec.

Most 250 Majesties had standard TY motor. I had one once, bottom gear only bike. Probably only a few supported riders got ported engines. Tried an ex Scarlett 250 once. So different from mine and every other 250 I've ridden.

Agree with you on the cost of everything else though but I'd also put it beyond

The cost involved in building or restoring a bike and the then value afterwards, was the the point I was trying to get across in my first post.

Just because there is a similar bike in the classifieds cheaper it doesn t in my opinion automatically devalue the newly built or restored bike just because they happen to be the same make and model. There is considerable added value to any bike which been rebuilt with obvious new bits and or bills to prove work done ,apposed to a bike thats just been cleaned up to sell leaving the prospective buyer no idea of history or condition apart from a look around the outside and a quick ride if your lucky.

I also think that to build a really good majesty these days you are looking nearer 4000 than 3000 certainly if you don t know your a*** from your elbow when it comes to bike building and engerneering. It would be also interesting to get a ball park figure on a complete as new, ready to ride bike from the various people offering this service.

So, is the bike in question overpriced, seems so, the last posts suggest it is, I think however the twinshock market is buoyant and good bikes will continue to attract good prices and willing buyers. In Spain and France sort after models Hondas, Very trick fantics and Bultacos make very good money up to 4500 stg and sometimes above, hence my thought that we might have rethink what we have to pay in future , for our toys.........

Interesting topic

Salut