Week 67 - Fuel For Thought

Andy

The trial does pass some petrol stations, could we do a deal with them where the rider uses a token ? I know there are very few but it may cut down the number of stops that need to be provided and Kinell can get pop and an ice cream.....

:wall: ****!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You planning on doing it again? :wall:

Seriously, Atomant makes sense when he talks about the Army. Here's where I see things.

The Armed Forces are in a serious state. The thumbscrews are getting turned in just about every area as savings are sort. Add to this the relentless pace of Operations across the globe means there is no longer the bottomless pit to support such things as the SSDT. To put things in to perspective I know of highly skilled aircraft engineers that are being employed as cover guards for convoys and drivers, dental hygienists used as helicopter passenger manifest controllers, the list goes on.

I can't see the Army being able to support the event in the same way as before. I believe they may be able to offer their services but they must see some gain for doing it. Money is not really the answer. If the Army feels there is a gain by running it as a training exercise then that might help. If the Army can't do it then there is no way the RAF can, the RAF has far less in terms of resources. However, the RAF may be able to offer help where needed.

Another avenue is to get the Army/RAF/Armed forces onboard by allowing them to sell their product. All the Armed Forces pride themselves of their opinion in the public eye. What better publicity for the Armed Forces that their help has managed to ensure a national sporting event can take place solely because of them? I know thanks go out to the Army but why not get the Armed Forces Careers Information onboard too? Anyone been to an airshow etc? I bet you've seen them there.

Make this high profile, get the backing of some very high-ranking officers or even MP's and you will see doors open. Get the press involved, start banging some drums! It's got to be of more value to the UK and the Armed Forces than Prince William flying his pals to a stag do!!

Some valid points there, but the SSDT have received a statement from the Army that they will not be doing the re-fueling next year, so it is clear that the club need to look down different avenues.

As someone also said even if you get the Army/RAF on board that may only be a short term measure, they need something that takes them through future years.........................with hopefully not too many hurdles to jump in future years.

Well said the big man in your last comment.

The entry is over subcribed every year I am pretty sure most would stump up the extra cash for the Scottish to continue (well nearly most Gizza 5 knows what and who I speak about) and that's from a tight Scotsman myself.

Since getting around last weeks Scottish I have started doing a little home working on it myself (not much else exciting to do after having Wisdom teeth pulled out). I will post a couple of thoughts in the next few days because after that I will be off to a Dustier Climate with the Army and wont be able to have much input until the entries come out.

I think the first point we must think about are auxilluary fuel tanks, an extra litre goes a long way!

The more we fuel the fire on this one the quicker we will come up with a solution.

Edited by staggiedog

The ssdt is totally unique in terms of the terrain, for me the fast tracks and moors are as enjoyable as the sections. I wouldn't like to see the routes changed to the point where the distance covered each day has to be dramatically reduced or each day become a figure of eight route. So if its another

Well said the big man in your last comment.

The entry is over subcribed every year I am pretty sure most would stump up the extra cash for the Scottish to continue (well nearly most Gizza 5 knows what and who I speak about) and that's from a tight Scotsman myself.

Since getting around last weeks Scottish I have started doing a little home working on it myself (not much else exciting to do after having Wisdom teeth pulled out). I will post a couple of thoughts in the next few days because after that I will be off to a Dustier Climate witht the Army and want ba able to have much input until the entries come out.

I think the first point we must think about are auxilluary fuel tanks, an extra litre goes a long way!

The more we fuel the fire on this one the quicker we will come up with a solution.

Keep your head down Vince and get in touch when you get back

are we missing the bleeding obvious

the trial is at risk not because the army cant refuel anymore, but because the bikes only carry half a gallon of juice.

additional tank capacity has to be the answer gasgas certainly have larger tanks available all the other manufacturers need to do the same if thier bikes are set to compet and yes the trial itself may have to change with figure 8 routes revolving around petrol stations.. it aint that long ago that it started and finished in edinburgh , nothing should last forever..

You'd need a mighty big tank to cover 100+ miles off road. My trailie does 70mpg and runs onto reserve at 120 miles - and you wouldn't want a tank that size on your trials bike, you wouldn't be able to stop a pig in a passage after a days riding! I still had to fill up every day (3 times the day I went to Rannoch - no wonder it took them so long to sort out the fuel problem there, there is nothing for miles!)

On a serious note, I agree with Baldilocks, whack the price up to cover the cost of a private outfit, trials riders maybe tight but you can't tell me that those riding the SSDT couldn't afford an extra

are we missing the bleeding obvious

the trial is at risk not because the army cant refuel anymore, but because the bikes only carry half a gallon of juice.

additional tank capacity has to be the answer gasgas certainly have larger tanks available all the other manufacturers need to do the same if thier bikes are set to compet and yes the trial itself may have to change with figure 8 routes revolving around petrol stations.. it aint that long ago that it started and finished in edinburgh , nothing should last forever..

Nothing should last forever, that's why small tanks came about, bikes developed and the big tanks got binned as they weren't needed. I avoided posting on the bigger tank issue as it has been mentioned before but I feel inclined to respond to this post.

Bigger tanks are not the way forward. Why? Not all bikes can take them, beta for example. Furthermore, I can't see the manufacturers doing much to change just for one trial. Although the SSDT is unique I'm not sure how much the manufacturers want to support it. Sure there's the big trucks there with a few supported riders but are they not provide via the UK dealer network?

But lets just say the big 4 manufacturers make bigger tanks, what about older bikes, TY's, TYZ's etc? Is that fair? I often question whether or not the bikes with the after market bigger tanks should have been allowed to compete but that's a differant storey.

I recall that the luxury of fueling was down to a very forward thinking chap called Roy Carey (Fantic). BIG thanks to Roy :D for what he did.

I never understood why the other importers took the **** as he was miles infront of them. B)

If you were not on a Fantic then you basically fuelled yourself (organised teams from clubs etc.)

Why can this not happen again. I'm sure you can get tanks that are legal to be carried in vehicles...

Ah well the whole event will be ilegal soon ...SSDT on push bikes anyone?

Just to point out that when a very similar fuel crisis hit the SSDT in 2002 (the TA announced it was pulling out a few months after the 2002 trial was run) John Shirt Jnr investigated the use of Rock Oil facilities to fuel the trial, as Gas Gas UK had an association with that company back then. I can't remember why this offer of help was unsuccessful, but, eventually RSM Sandy Mack saved the day then as he has done this year.

I still believe there is a private solution out there, assuming the riders are willing to pay for it, my take (personal opinion) is

Nothing should last forever, that's why small tanks came about, bikes developed and the big tanks got binned as they weren't needed. I avoided posting on the bigger tank issue as it has been mentioned before but I feel inclined to respond to this post.

Bigger tanks are not the way forward. Why? Not all bikes can take them, beta for example. Furthermore, I can't see the manufacturers doing much to change just for one trial. Although the SSDT is unique I'm not sure how much the manufacturers want to support it. Sure there's the big trucks there with a few supported riders but are they not provide via the UK dealer network?

But lets just say the big 4 manufacturers make bigger tanks, what about older bikes, TY's, TYZ's etc? Is that fair? I often question whether or not the bikes with the after market bigger tanks should have been allowed to compete but that's a differant storey.

we need to be careful not to try and solve imaginary problems its hard enough as it is

no tank for a TY yam ? fit a steel tank from the S model, it holds five litres.

TYZ ? in the first year of the TYZ hamilton yamaha and birkett has alloy tanks made but stopped using them as they could get round on the standard tank. Also I remember a rider from cambridge adding some pipework to a TYZ so that the frame carried fuel as well.

Somebody could make a tank for a Beta if they had to or they can zip tie the Hebo auxiliary tank to the yokes. If everyone gets to a 4 litre capacity then you wont need fuel on the moors.