Tested In The White Heat Of Competition......

ham2

Enjoyable post fellows, troubleshooting can be such a pain. These forums are uber for learning about all sorts of stuff.

Dumb question... Can I confirm that 'pinking' means 'pinging', where both are referring to detonation?

Thanks,

Bark

Yup! :guinness:

That looks like it is sealed, or at least painted well! :lol:

Cheers Cope, I'm ok standing up but the lying down is a problem (I carnt get no sleep..this is my Church :thumbup: ...) hence the bike strip in the small hours:

Rad is holding but I still don't think things are right?

It still seems to be running hot ,just not super-hot like before? :closedeyes:

I haven't been able to test-run it properly yet so I stripped it again just to have a looksee (as the Americans might say)but I still can't make my mind up if we're looking at O-ring by-pass or not?....

Cylinderhead005.jpg....

The coolant drains out aqua blue like the med' off Cyprus yet there is this graphite grey deposite at the coolant ports where the cylinder jacket and head mate up?

Cylinderhead007.jpg

Whadaya think?

Edited by HAM2

I cannot see anything dysfuntional there. Put the head on a lapping pate(piece of glass) on a level surface(kitchen table) and rub it around a bit on some 400 grit wet paper! This will insure it is flat, yet the o- rings must do the sealing, so get new ones.

Clean up the top of the cylender with a bit of scotchbrite or something to insure you have a good clean sealing surface.

You really need to get it back together and run the crap out of it to see what happens. Looke like you need to runtheshietofit to get some heat in the motor from the carbon buildup! Hell, your muff may be plugged with that crap! It may need a douche!

:closedeyes:

Yup Cope,a little cleaning up is required (+o-rings of course) though the pic is a little misleading as that brown residue in the combustion chamber was easily wiped away with a cloth i.e. it wasn't 'coked on'. :closedeyes:

Hey guys,

Well I replaced the crank seal, the crank pressure looked good. My daughters competed on my bike this weekend and it ran good for them but when I get my 290lbs on it and run it hard I get the same problem.

I did notice an Expert rider

Your cylinder head looks fairly normal, it definitely doesn't look like it has been running hot.

Have a look under the piston is it black, this is a good tell tale sign the engine is running hot.

What gets hot?

Why do you think it is too hot?

Hi Trialsnutterman,

Thanks for the tip.

I've checked under the piston as you said but it just looks the same ally colour as the rest of the piston,which is reassuring. :rolleyes:

The bike was running like a bag of 5h1te at the trial,it was way down on power,pinked like mad,the silencer was belching smoke like the wacky races, the chrome pipe has turned blue/yellow and the fan was working over-time.

To date I've inspected/replaced a few parts just for the hell of it ,I never found a defective part where I could say ''that's it..got you ,you little ba****d''. :thumbup:

Crank seals (twice..nitrile first then viton).

'Carb/ inlet gaskets.??

Radiator (teeny,weeny leak).

Pump seals (looked good to me but changed them anyway).

Cylinder base and head gaskets/ o-rings (old ones looked ok when I got 'em out.... but had to put new ones back in).

At least I am very familiar with my bike now :gay:

I have really brushed up on my assembly/dismantling skills but I would swap all that for better diagnostic abilities :thumbup:

As of this morning she is back in one piece and I plan to start her up on Sunday (back/disc permitting).

Ham, hows it going ?

The clocks change this weekend so we can do all that riding we had planned for last summer that never happened starting next week ( well one of us needs to be fit for the first week of May )

I had back trouble recently, first time for me, I tried to get Baby Buddah out of his cot quickly and everything locked up faster than Valentino Rossi ! big ouch

saw a physio a few times who gave me exercise and ibuprofen but a month on I was panicking with the SSDT coming up and no real improvement.

Saw an Osteopath instead, one session

Get your stator checked

It sounds like the timing is out to me

I heard of a few bikes that ran really hot and the cure was a new stator

I'm in denial about this one..you could be right !