Tubeless Rear Rims

woody

Anyone out there converted a pre65 or twinshock to tubeless rear rim and if so where did you get the rim from and what price are they?

I've never been bothered about doing this before as I don't feel there's any performance advantage from one or the other, however, I am sick to the hind teeth of puncturing what are fast becoming next to useless IRC tubed rear tyres. The sidewalls are now ridiculously soft and give even with 5psi. Any lower and I can't ride the bike across a camber as it rolls down it and at 5psi grip is being lost to a degree. The carcass is very thin also and the punctures now seem never ending.

The tubed Michelin that's available is like having a slick fitted and Dunlop no longer do one, so the only option now is to go tubeless. Tubeless tyres won't work on all tubed rims so fitting tubeless to tubed rims is not always an option, therefore next time I have a wheel rebuilt I want a tubeless rim on it.

Last time I enquired around the dealers few sold them and those that did were quoting stupid prices, a complete rear wheel from Haven at the time was only a few quid more.... Central wheel don't sell tubeless so I'm stumped as to where people are getting them from.

Any ideas anyone?

edit - I'm asking about new rims, I know second hand tubeless rear wheels come up on ebay now and again but I'd prefer a new rim.

Edited by Woody

Guest THEDavidBaker
i run michelin tubeless tyres with tubes have done for years on standard old honda.i have never had problems,i cannot remember ever having a punture,

Is this because you are senile

Hello Richard - JOKE - Honest

i run michelin tubeless tyres with tubes have done for years on standard old honda.i have never had problems,i cannot remember ever having a punture,

I have heard this is the way to go. I haven't yet... but I will soon.

As for the Michelins being too slick, that's a new one.

From what I understand the options currently are:

Tubed:

Michelin

IRC

Tubeless:

Michelin

IRC

Dunlop

(There may be others but those are the only ones I'd consider)

Not all tube type rims will seat a tubeless tyre successfully. Can't get them to stay seated on a TY250 t/s or mono rim. As soon as the pressure is down to about 5 - 6psi a section drops off the rim. Happened every time I've tried it. They'll stay on an Ossa/Bultaco rim ok.

The Michelin tube type tyres that are available here at the moment provide about as much grip as oil on glass. At least those that a mate and I had did.

Apparantly both Michelin and IRC are going to one tyre only that is supposed to work on both tubed and tubeless rims. Can't see how that will work when they both have different bead profile for the different rims.

Getting tyres to fit tube type rims may start to become a problem if you have the type that a tubeless tyre won't seat properly on. I tried the 'cut off the edge of the bead' trick on a tubeless tyre once to make it fit a tubed rim. Never again....

Try to find an old Fantic Akront Tubeless rim, you can't get them new any more but can be found via breakers. A genuine rim band will be difficult to find but the GG type rim band with the vulcanised valve works a treat

I have heard this is the way to go. I haven't yet... but I will soon.

As for the Michelins being too slick, that's a new one.

From what I understand the options currently are:

Tubed:

Michelin

IRC

Tubeless:

Michelin

IRC

Dunlop

(There may be others but those are the only ones I'd consider)

Dave

I think I have worked out what is going on with Woody complaining about Michelin tube type rears - there were/are two types of Michelin tube-type rear trials tyres.

The one I used successfully for years and would still buy if I could get them is the X11 tube type. They are/were terrific to use but became more and more difficult to buy here, being imported only twice per year, and the flat track racers snapping up most of them. About two years ago I heard that Michelin were developing a tyre that will fit both tubeless and tube type rims, but in searching for them, I discovered that Michelin also make a tyre that looks just like a proper trials tyre, but is not a radial and is not called X11 tube type. I don't remember what it is called exactly, but I have seen one on a M198 and saw enough to know that it is pretty useless for trials competition.

David