* Where's Smage Go From Here?

Andrew (Nigel Dabster) asked a question in another thread about Patrick and the next world rounds.

Patrick will be 18 by the next round, the choices he makes from here on out are his. I'm sure Noel still will have influence in Pat's future, and Noel indicated to me he'd rather see Pat finish the season in the Junior class, on a big bike.

I think this is a terrible call.

Now, it's up to Pat of course. But, I'd prefer to see Patrick finish the season off on the 125 and try to work his way into the runner-up position. If possible. That's if all his injuries have properly healed by then. I invested a ton into this season. I'd like to see top results in one championship class. The class Patrick started in. That's the 125 Youth Cup Championship.

Okay, all you arm-chair quarterbacks, what do you think Patrick should do? ( And Northernnorm, don't get all bent out of shape. Listen to what others have to say. Please?)

Edited by City Trials

If he has lost too much ground this year then priority has to be to prepare for next years challenge. If he is to mount a serious challenge on the Junior class next year then experience gained on the bigger bike this year will surely help.

I don't know your relationship with Patrick either on a personal or business level but surely your investment was in his career, not jsut this season? Winning a world title would have been fantastic but now that is out of reach you and the team need to look forward.

Either way I wish him all the best - so long as he doesn't finnish ahead of Wiggy!

Andrew (Nigel Dabster) asked a question in another thread about Patrick and the next world rounds.

Patrick will be 18 by the next round, the choices he makes from here on out are his. I'm sure Noel still will have influence in Pat's future, and Noel indicated to me he'd rather see Pat finish the season in the Junior class, on a big bike.

I think this is a terrible call.

Now, it's up to Pat of course. But, I'd prefer to see Patrick finish the season off on the 125 and try to work his way into the runner-up position. If possible. That's if all his injuries have properly healed by then. I invested a ton into this season. I'd like to see top results in one championship class. The class Patrick started in. That's the 125 Youth Cup Championship.

Okay, all you arm-chair quarterbacks, what do you think Patrick should do? ( And Northernnorm, don't get all bent out of shape. Listen to what others have to say. Please?)

I've seen Craig ride a Trials Bike and in spite of his riding ability, he can at times offer good advice about the sport.

I have to agree with him as technically Pat has only missed one round. As only the best 10 of 12 rides count, he will be well up in the overall results if he is consistant in the final rounds. Uncle Craig Knows Best!!

I was aware of that. The two bikes require a different approach and technique. Surely swithing between these bikes is difficult.

Don't get me wrong I have always believed 125's are a great way to really develop a technique but in Pat's case he's now at a level where he needs to concentrate on really fine tuning his style to the 2.9. What better opportunity than to do it riding on the sections in the WTC . Not only that but riding against the better opposition will give him a gauge for his own progress.

Maybe its different in the States but over here 2nd is first loser.

The experience pat has had in the 125's has been good but there is little now to be gained finishing the season on a 125, better he makes the jump and scores points and is seeded for next year (read the rules)

Also if he is ever going to try for a WTC he needs to get moving up the ladder.

Whatever the reason this year hasn't gone to plan so plan B should come into operation.

TDN 2.9 therefore get on the junior sections and have a go, 3 events in 3 weeks in Europe will be great experience.

I talked to noel sunday morning, He told me Pat might ride the remaining events on the 2.9 in junior. I would say go ride whatever you want, either way you are gaining experience. The best thing he could do is learn a couple of different languages. That would make his stays in europe more pleasant.

GO PAT!! :hl:

Maybe its different in the States but over here 2nd is first loser.

The experience pat has had in the 125's has been good but there is little now to be gained finishing the season on a 125, better he makes the jump and scores points and is seeded for next year (read the rules)

Also if he is ever going to try for a WTC he needs to get moving up the ladder.

Whatever the reason this year hasn't gone to plan so plan B should come into operation.

TDN 2.9 therefore get on the junior sections and have a go, 3 events in 3 weeks in Europe will be great experience.

Junior or 125 for the rest of the season has little to do with his long term career. He started the season on 125, just finish it and finish as high as possible. Top 5 or better is very respectful at any level of WC Trials. And anyone who thinks 2nd place is the first loser, is a LOSER

:hl: That last line was imho rude ! And Pat if your reading this , Do what your heart feels ! It is your Life ...

I've seen you ride and and IMHO you can go as far as you want .

But remember you only get one grab for the brass ring , do what makes YOU happy , before anything else ...

The rest of your life is along ways away . And learn some language, it will make your travels more fun , even if it's just the basics .

Glenn

I must admit I tend to agree with Dabster on this one. And quite frankly, I have never heard a top rider say that riding a 125 was fun at that level. But it can be done! It IS the extreme of the sport in a way.

Pat just wants to ride! Go for it! :hl:

Top 5 or better is very respectful at any level of WC Trials. And anyone who thinks 2nd place is the first loser, is a LOSER

Complete B*****ks! 2nd place isn't winning so it must be losing...

I'm also with the Dabster on this one. Ending the season in the top 5 will not be what he envisaged at the start of the year. Over here we call it 'cutting your losses and moving on'. He needs to get a head start on the next stage and riding the bigger bike will give him that. He's been riding the 2.9 since he was 12 (6 years?) so it will give him a much needed confidence boost to try the same sections on his 'home' bike so to speak...

A little 'off-topic' but relevant all the less. While I was competing with James Dabill in the British Youth Championships I believe he was always riding a year in front of everyone - i.e. riding his first year of A-class when he was infact old enough to still be competing in B-class, Tom Sagar was doing the same I think. It clearly didn't do those two any harm by moving up to the bigger bikes/sections earlier, look at where they are now!

I think the guys are forced to develop better technique by riding small bikes.

Wiggy rode the Junior class on a 125 because he had no choice due to his age, he still finished 2nd.

Atom won the Junior WTC last year on a 250, he felt he didn't need a 270 until he moved up to WTC.

And for teh grey haired amongst us, remember how Mart kept Doug on a 125 Beta all the way through A class schoolboys. He wasn't top of the tree when he started out, but soon whipped the rest on 250s & lets face it, Doug's never been a small lad!

Whatever class Pat rides, he'll do well to develop his technique.