Diet And Competition

I'm curious about what the top riders do as far as diet is concerned when training for competition. Do they follow a very regimented program all week long, 365 days a year, do they only eat certain foods a couple of days before a meet, and then eat whatever they want in the days that follow?

Personally I find that my stamina is one of the biggest factors that cost me points as I go through a competition, because I loose form and can't execute techniques all through the day that I could do the first two laps, etc.. So I'm interested in learning some things I can try to maybe improve from a diet perspective of training. Please be as specific as you can if you don't mind! I may find a great new dish to try as a result!

One thing, I hope I don't have to completely give up Ice Cream.. I do happen to have somewhat of a sweet tooth!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Bottled fermented grape juice is used a lot on the continent or if its a warm day a mixture of anniseed, water and a smidgen of alcahol is often compulsory. Clearly there are many variations and opinions and you need to experiment and work out what is best for your metabolism; as you have identified a problem with stamina perhaps a few interstitial (between sections) quaffs of a mixture of beverages would help you feel less tired.

I find that the biggest factor is hydration.

Its amazing how much fluid loss you have lugging the bike around a trial and I found my performance dropped off markedly on the last two loops and also travelled home with a headache down to dehydration.

If you only take fluid on during an occasional trip back to the car after each lap, you can never equally replace the amount lost through effort.

I have found a massive difference using a camelbak hydration system on the event, filled not only with water, but include an electrolyte sports additive to replace salts etc lost from the body when sweating heavily.

A Camelback is one of the best investments I've made in riding gear. Before, I spent much of the time thinking about how thirsty I was which didn't help what little concentration I could muster.

You'll get a lot of different recommendations on diet, but I suspect that if you go the "good clean nutritious natural food" route you'll probably do fine. When I was working out regularly I tried to balance carbs and protein and that seemed to work both for gaining strength and losing a bit of weight.

I don't see any need for fancy/expensive supplements. There are plenty of atheletes who don't use them who seem to do just fine without them.

cheers,

Michael

I would agree with the above, according to "experts" by the time you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated to an extent.

I try to eat and drink constantly during longer and hotter events.

I'm curious about what the top riders do as far as diet is concerned when training for competition. Do they follow a very regimented program all week long, 365 days a year, do they only eat certain foods a couple of days before a meet, and then eat whatever they want in the days that follow?

Personally I find that my stamina is one of the biggest factors that cost me points as I go through a competition, because I loose form and can't execute techniques all through the day that I could do the first two laps, etc.. So I'm interested in learning some things I can try to maybe improve from a diet perspective of training. Please be as specific as you can if you don't mind! I may find a great new dish to try as a result!

One thing, I hope I don't have to completely give up Ice Cream.. I do happen to have somewhat of a sweet tooth!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Whats your age and fitnes levels, whats your weight and what events are you doing?

I just turned 39, 5'6, 165 lbs. (11.7857143 stone according to google!) I compete in Advanced in our local club organization's events, however I'm hopeful to reach Expert someday. I don't quite know what these levels translate to for overseas events. I can say that Advanced equates roughly to our USA national 'support' line.

I generally eat a lot of fruit, bananas, and yogurt before any event, because I don't handle heavy foods well before a race. I take my time for the first lap, and hydrate with gatorade or something similar as I walk and analyze each section. After that, I leave my bag at the truck to save time on the loop, and hydrate / eat when I return to pick up my next card and re-fuel. I also find that as I go through events, I don't have much time (or desire) to eat too much after the 2nd or 3rd lap (out of 5), maybe a few quick bites of something, but time is often pressing and I'm rushing to get back out on the course.

What do you guy's typically eat during the days or nights before a race?

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 months later...