Serious Ty 80 Mods ?

axulsuv

:banana2: Hi all ...

I was just out in my shop with my boys talking trials bikes ... As some of you may know I just did a ground up on a 74 ty80 that I obtained for my youngest son ... And of course my middle child (2yrs older) parked his 89?xr 100 after he WAY overrevved it and got it to bend some valves ... But this thought came into my feeble mind ! What if I used the XR wheels and forks and built my own whitehawk TY80 ! I'd have to lengthen the swingarm abit to clear the 16' back wheel , and a little creative bearing application and the forks should work ... And the fresh / tweeked ... ty80 motor has more than enough to spin the larger wheels ... AND chen shin make trials tires in a 3.00 x19 and a 3.00x16 ! so I could even put trials tires on both wheels ! I really can't afford a little BETA so I think This may work for a few years ?

So am I nuts or what ?

And the XR brakes are SO much better than the TY"S !

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Brian , and in a 2.75x19 too !!! But who on this side of the pond sells VEE Rubber ? And I'll Make it work before I actually spend any $$$ on tires and such ! Would you like a xr100 chassis and mono shock swingarm ? However I do it , it has to stay ITSA legal !!!

Glenn

I have seen yz 80 with chopped front end, geared down and maybe some flywheel weight added go over 3 foot rocks with a 3 ft rider on it. I say go for it, and like you said don't spend alot of cash. I think I would just use the xr , make a bash plate, chop the frame so it turns. Just a thought, as long he didn't tear up the motor to bad.

:D I disasembled the xr sunday afternoon ... And This will work ! I've got to find another ty80 swingarm and section the two arms together (xr &ty) so I can keep all the oe ty parts ... (so it can go back to stock , if need be . ) This should work out well and be easier for the kids to learn on ! I'll keep a photo journal of the transformation .

Glenn

Just ran across a photo of a 80's Fantic 80 !!! And in my leaning this part against that part mock-up , is just about the stance I'll get when done ... (I hope !)

Edited by axulsuv

A bored sunday afternoon !

This transformation will be even easier than I thought ! I'm just gonna weld the xr headstock into the ty chassis and lengthen the stock ty swingarm a inch or so and all will work just fine , when I put some trials tires on the wheels and maybe some longer/stronger shocks than the ty80 Betor units . the triple clamp in the photo's has no brgs in it, so the fork angle is far from correct at this point ! And I have to make a anchor for the back brake and rebuild the forks ,but I can't wait to make it all work ! The back wheel actually clears the swing arm with a 3.50 knobby on it , although there is no room for chain adjustment , Yet ...

Glenn :D

post-1232-1218407109.jpg

post-1232-1218407194.jpg

Edited by axulsuv

Longer / stronger shocks and the swing arm will be a inch or so longer behind the shock mounts , and when bottomed out right now all that hits is the OE. fender which is going away anyways ... now to make/find a fender bracket to fit these skinny forks !!! And the forks sag about a inch and a half with just the weight of the bike on them ... IT'LL WORK !!! (I THINK ) And besides the back wheel,spacers and all slid right into place and the sprockets line up ! this was meant to happen !

Edited by axulsuv

• 3 weeks later...

A prior to welding mockup/fit... The fork angle is about 26.5deg. at this point witch will work ok , as the rear will get a 17'' rim (when I find one to lace to the xr or ty hub !) and I've located some CHEAP 12 3/4 '' rear trials shocks that should suite my needs ok for now . And I have to put the swingarm extension directly inline with the factory piece so my sprockets still line up . the way it is pictured the rear one moved in about a 1/4 inch . But those changes should make every thing work well ! And I found out that a later model yz80 used a 428 chain , so I can upgrade the chain size too ! Yes I'm really bored , its either do this with one hand or sit in front of the TV all day while my shoulder heals ... and I can wrap my good arm around the ty and lift it onto my workbench with one hand , so at that light weight , it may be a ball to ride !!

And as fate would have it , the day I made a no turning back now ! cut into the ty frame , A fullsize Fantic 50 became available to me !!! And I just HAVE TO get it !!! It looks to be in much better shape than my 240 was when I got her ...

Do you think folks would laugh if I rode the ty in ahrma events , as they won't let me enter me Fantic ? :D

One other detail , got to add abit of metal to the steering stops ! cause right now they just miss the stops ,forktubes hit the tank and it's turning almost 85deg.!!!!

post-1232-1219874107.jpg

Edited by axulsuv

:D Well that's better than here ! It's been 95+ w/loverly afternoon thunderstorms for a week or so now ... Glad I insulated the ceiling and put ac out in my new playroom ! But enough of the weather channel , any progress on a Fantic lic. plate design ?