Serious Ty 80 Mods ?

axulsuv

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-1232-1220499371.jpg A bit of progress today , should align , cut & weld the swingarm tomorrow . Then just wait for the 428 countershaft to get here and give it a test ride ! Then tear it apart detail & paint frame , rebuild the forks , decide on fork spring rates ? Lace up some 17x1.60 and 19x1.40 aluminum rims

mount some Vee rubber tires And make it pretty again ... Well at least I'm not bored ! And having a neighbor that is a excellent welder and understands what is going on is great thing !

Glenn ;)

Edited by axulsuv

Cope , I can weld good , but not as good and consistant as my neighbor does ! (machinist/fabricator w/ about 40 years at his craft ...)

And Vee rubber makes a 17x3.50 &a 19x2.50 that will work just fine . And all I have to do is call their USA. office in Atlanta and they put them on the UPS truck ! The price is comfy on them too and should be a much better tire than the chen shings . The Wheels will come from a shop in New Jersey that sells SanRemo rims , The only ones I could locate with the dimensions I need and 36 spoke count to match the honda hubs ... I beleive they produce the rims used on the Beta 50 ??? And I saw my doc. tuesday morning , You should see the size of the pin and medical duct tape holding my shattered clavicle together ! He said to only wear my sling if it hurts , don't lift anything heavy , and to do light reps of my therapy exercises so my shoulder doesn't stiffen up again ... And to come back on the 23rd to see when he wants to remove the pin .

Glenn ;)

At this point I may run a 3.00 x16 cheng-sin in back and the 2.50 x 19 VR in front ... for the time being . Seems getting the SanRemo rims may be a issue . But Morad makes ones I can use too . Just don't know if It'll be worth the expense to replace the stock xr steel rims . I guess I make it ridable then decide . I've only got about $40.00 involved in the conversion at this point , So another $40 or so for a little C.S. won't hurt so I can play with the suspension before I drop $'s on rims . Still haven't made up my mind on rear shocks , Use the new little betors that are on it or get some inexpensive 12 1/4 inch long trials shocks I've located ? guess It'll get ridden a bit first , as I still have 2 lower shock mount options at this point . Yeah Hurricanes and all , I'm still bored ...

Glenn ;)

:iamwithstupid: Wheel dilema solved ! (easier than I thought !) Turns out OLD honda sl100's had 17" back wheels ! w/36 spokes ! . I just bought a sl100 swingarm/rearwheel/hub etc. complete off the Bay .. Now I can't wait to customize it to the point of working for me ! And Mark , your right I am Sick ... or just demented , just depends on how you look at it !

Glenn :)

:iamwithstupid: Just Wait till someone ya'all know and respect rides it then ports another barrel for me ... As mine came out Quite powerful but WAY to pipey !!! (will loop me in 3rd gear) So it needs some renowned trials porting to another barrel when I get one ..

Glenn

:iamwithstupid: Lets just say it's a toggle switch now ... SO YEAH I messed the first one up ! But it would be great for a old gt/mx 80 ! So when I have another stock barrel in hand , I'll Send that and the reed cage to B&J racing and get Mr. Ginder to massage it for me . I figure he's built a minimum of a 1000 yamaha trials engines of all shapes and sizes , so he doesn't have to experiment on this one to get it right for my boys !!! And I've watched several different 2stroke trials bikes he's done , compete and he gets this nice smooth johndeerish power out of them ...So it'll be in good hands . No worry's on that front !

Glenn :)