Serious Ty 80 Mods ?

axulsuv

See my mom was right ! I do have a special purpose !!! :iamwithstupid:

Yes, but do have enough fingers to count what this TY80 has cost so far, include medical bills!!!!!!!

I remember taking a spin on a buddy's kid's CR80 last year, thing was a bodycast waiting to happen! No wonder they just line up the ambulances at the MX track like taxi cabs!

One thing I have noticed, at least the euros tend to run the small displacement bikes on a full size frame, even 50's! for enduro and motard!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can still count , And your second point is why I've obtained a 1980 Fantic fm330 for my daughter . FULL size 50cc ! And I've got it on good authority from a quite competent adult rider that was loaned one in pinch to compete on back in the day , that they are quite capable bikes ...

:iamwithstupid:

And your not in IKE'S path are you ? I don't remember what part of TX. your in ...

Edited by axulsuv

I think that little Fantic is SOOOOO cool! You will have to be the judge as it is beyond me!

Well, even though we are a long way from the coast, in Dallas area, the forcasts are not good, with the combo of another frontal movement!

And I need to go up to OK to pick up the new XT toy on Sunday, we'll see! I just love tornado's and such! :iamwithstupid:

;) Wheel dilema solved in a afternoon !!! This afternoon a ups truck showed up with a box for me . The early 70's honda SL100 wheel and swingarm off the 'bay !! So I unpacked it and broke out the tape measure , only to find that the effort required to make the wheel and swingarm work was gonna be a lot more than intended . :wall: But A flash of insperation and I start measuring hub diameters and spoke lengths... :marky: Hmmmm may just work and there's only one way to find out ! After a whole bunch penetrating oil and a hour or so of soaking time both rims are stripped and I start lacing the xr hub into the sl rim and It works ! Got the spokes all about even tonite and I'll true it up tomorrow ... Now for some tires and shocks :)

post-1232-1221788895.jpg post-1232-1221788913.jpg

I even made use of the old xr swingarm as a truing stand ...

Glenn B)

• 1 month later...

The Great Debate ...

As the ty80 frame is nearing time for paint , I have one more decision to make . Do I weld on a Kickstand or do I make the bike dependent on tree's ? And remember I'm dealing with kids just starting to ride trials ... And if it's possible to do a poll could someone set one up for me on this question ?

Thanks , Glenn

post-1232-1225106045.jpg

Edited by axulsuv

• 2 months later...

Been awhile but it's a rolling chassis now ... Excuse the bad shots , they came off a video camera , cause my usb cable for my camera is missing in action ... And yeah it's still real ugly !

Glenn

post-1232-1232573054.jpg

post-1232-1232572951.jpg

post-1232-1232573001.jpg

post-1232-1232572974.jpg

Working kickstand and all !! :thumbup:

Edited by axulsuv

• 1 month later...

Ok it's been a while ... Again . Been in atlanta alot learning all of the things that can go wrong with a nissan GTR ... But thanks to the folks at B&J racing for helping me live my nightmares/fantasies she's starting to look like a trials bike again ... If only I had more time and energy ... I'll get it ridable , then send the virgin barrel I got off the bay along with a fresh reedcage off to the GURU to massage them into something Mick Andrews never imagined when he helped design the ty80 back in the day ... And it will get stripped and painted with alot of black epoxy while I polish cases and fiddle with the never ending details ... But I don't think it'll ride as good as our "new" little fantic , but it was built with all the right intentions ... Although it may just work really well !?

Glenn

post-1232-1237589050.jpg

post-1232-1237589072.jpg

post-1232-1237589123.jpg

Edited by axulsuv

• 5 months later...

Well It FINALLY !!! got ridden !!!

After moving all the bikes out of the shop yesterday to clean up the fantics and clean the shop so some bike work could be done , I spent some quality time with my youngest son making his never ending bike project rideable ... A few choice words and some elbow grease later I rode it for the first time ... It steers quite well , stops and accelerates as a trials bike should . (actually better than the fantic 50 ...) but as you can see in the vid , his legs have to grow little before he can really use it ! Bob @ B&J RACING already has the virgin top end I found , to work his porting magic on , So next year I'll have 2 riding biddies to take to twinshock events with me ! :rolleyes:

Glenn

Click on link to see it roll !!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kHEd3pwEx8

Oh !!! If you look again there are some good sized logs , and a pile of cinder blocks . And this is south carolina near the coast . whenever it rains I already have a lake in my meager yard ... MUD we've got .... And yes the grass back there needs to be cut !

Glenn

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 year later...