Serow Trials

copemech

Well, I manageged to find me a Serow today, should make as good of a trials bike as anything once I build a new frame! Not sure how they will think of the electric start in the sections?

I just think of is as my big bore Scorpa project! Yet, I need to loose the front disc to become ITSA legal! Jay, watch out! Anyone have any shocks? :iamwithstupid:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wouldn't it be easier to find an old twin shock trials bike and simply use the motor from the Serrow? Or have I missed the point?

I've got away with a stall in a section a couple of times in trail bike trials by using the electric start button. Providing you don't put you feet down whilst it is stalled you tend to get away with it.

I've also seen someone on a KTM stall the bike and push out of the section with his feet down but the starter turning, he got away with that too. (Although the observer probably mistook the clanking noise for the engine running!)

:iamwithstupid::):wall: And I thought I had a abstract imagination !!!!!

Sorry Cope , But at least start with a trials bike ! (footpeg location , gearing , forkangle , etc.)

Glenn , Although if your up for it , the occasional enduro event may be quite fun ... (I keep having dreams about a old xr400 ...!)

Glenn :beer:

He, He!!!! No, you see all this really stems from my old age and the want/ need for some alternate and economical (fun) transportation.

Actually I think that pic is of the totally new 250 version which came out in '08. The little XT 225 was similar and lighter, same basic air cooled 4T enduro for about the last eight or so years, the motor being slightly larger than the 125 used in the Scorpas, yet probably not as large as the old Honda TL 250.

They seem to be about the last of the old style enduros similar to the Jap bikes of the 70's that were street legal and trailable, with a reasonable seat height that does not require a minimum of a 36" inseam on your Levi's to toutch the ground. You know, I have come to the astounding reilization that I do not require 11" ov suspention travel to ride the odd trail or go to the local store! That must just amaze some fellows somewhere, because fact is it is very difficult now days to find a basic, simple dual purpose bike that you can sit on! And the wife can actually ride if need be!

I get even more baffled by the fact that most of the street legal bikes are of the 350-600 cc variety! Soo I can pull power wheelies all the way to the corner store?? I don't think I want that. Or need it!

Yes, not unlike some others, I still have this fantasy of placing a simple air cooled 4T in a trials frame. Fact is it will not happen here. I shall not attempt to re-design the wheel! :iamwithstupid:

Brings back memories of a honda NX250 I had . I beleive it was the first model year for the bike here and I was working at a honda dealer about 5 miles from home . Although it was a waterpumper it was still a simple basic little bike and very entertaining to ride . It was also just big enough for short trips on the freeway without overstressing the drivetrain , but if memory serves I think it topped out at about 80 mph .

But it would get to traffic speeds plenty quick enough for about any real world situation ...

Have fun and remember , Your invisible and when the folks in cars do see you , the may just aim for you !!!

Glenn :iamwithstupid:

Edited by axulsuv

Brings back memories of a honda NX250 I had . I beleive it was the first model year for the bike here and I was working at a honda dealer about 5 miles from home . Although it was a waterpumper it was still a simple basic little bike and very entertaining to ride . It was also just big enough for short trips on the freeway without overstressing the drivetrain , but if memory serves I think it topped out at about 80 mph .

But it would get to traffic speeds plenty quick enough for about any real world situation ...

Have fun and remember , Your invisible and when the folks in cars do see you , the may just aim for you !!!

Glenn :wall:

You are soooo correct, Glenn! Did I ever tell you the story about how the first eight of my nine lives were lost? I'll give you a clue, only three were on dirt bikes, and that is the reason I have not ridden on the street since mid 80's! Oh yes, I have ridden briefly a lot of the modern pigs and scortchers, latest being the '08 CBR1000RR, what a machine! I could av been dead a long time ago if we had them! Just NUTS! What a bike!

In the old days, we really had to build our own, 150mph club was unique back then, now every punk with a rich dad can do 100mph wheelies!

Times do change, :iamwithstupid:

I must admit, I love to see their faces when those kids slam the front end down from a 90mph wheelie and it goes into a speed wobble! Gets their attention pretty quick! There is some pretty wickid stuff on U tube! :)

Hi Copemech,good luck with your Serrow - you may have seen the thread I started earlier this summer.I had a complete but stripped TY175 and gained a Serrow as a bad debt,I'd been looking for a Serrow motor for ages to build a twinshock 4 strock with electric start.(My right knee is not the best.)

Having not had much success with the TLR250 and RTL250's I had back when they were new,Ithought it was time to try something different.I've always got on well with Ty250's - both TS and mono,and the Serrow engine seemed like an ideal choice - esp with the electric boot.However the engine is alot taller than the 175 engine and I've had to chop alot of the frame and remake it.Its nearly done now,(in terms of fitting the engine to the frame anyway.) just the top tube to rebuild around that large CV carb.Then there's a complete alloy tank,battery and airbox to make.I think it will make a nice bike when its done,just lack of time holding me up.I have wondered though if it would have been quicker to build a frame from scratch.

Good luck,cheers Jon.

Hi Copemech,good luck with your Serrow - you may have seen the thread I started earlier this summer.I had a complete but stripped TY175 and gained a Serrow as a bad debt,I'd been looking for a Serrow motor for ages to build a twinshock 4 strock with electric start.(My right knee is not the best.)

Having not had much success with the TLR250 and RTL250's I had back when they were new,Ithought it was time to try something different.I've always got on well with Ty250's - both TS and mono,and the Serrow engine seemed like an ideal choice - esp with the electric boot.However the engine is alot taller than the 175 engine and I've had to chop alot of the frame and remake it.Its nearly done now,(in terms of fitting the engine to the frame anyway.) just the top tube to rebuild around that large CV carb.Then there's a complete alloy tank,battery and airbox to make.I think it will make a nice bike when its done,just lack of time holding me up.I have wondered though if it would have been quicker to build a frame from scratch.

Good luck,cheers Jon.

That does sound like quite a project, Jon!

You must get some pics!

;)

• 3 months later...

jon, it's nearly christmas, any pics/update on that ty/serrow project yet ????

He won't have his camera yet. He is waiting for the bloodbath sales in January to get a deal on a camera I believe, just before another High St name goes to the wall no doubt. Get it spent, you can't take it with you. :huh:

Yea,yea yea - will get the camera and sort it out ! BUT,today I picked up a nice sheet of ally to make the tank out of.The engine is now fully mounted in the frame,its not the elegant solution I'd hoped for,but it should work.If I really like it I'll build a frame from scratch to properly address the taller engine and the way the exhaust port exits the head.

All I want is a quiet few hours in the workshop with no phone ringing !