First 09 Raga Arrives In Nz

toofasttim

With smiling Gasser importer.

IMG_1262_1_1.jpg

Neat, (I'm also sure I've got a jumper just like that in a drawer somewhere too) I saw my first one here in the U.S. at the Ute Cup in Colorado last month. Very light and responsive and very pretty, inspite of the two days of rain, hail and mud it had to soak up running up and down the mountain.

Jon

Tim was so awe struck with the bike that he forgot that it was a 08 Raga model, or maybe he couldn't get over my jumper. That's my best Val Doonican jumper - what's wrong with it? Mum got it for me from Burton's the tailor in the 'boro and it was in the 80's. It's true, I have heaps of Magnum PI shirts. Who's Ringo?

Just adding the flywheel weight and checking the carb, installing a fuel filter, removing lights, fitting old fashioned cross brace Renthall's, checking gearbox mount, fitting a 10T, noticed the rear spkt is 42T unlike the 41T on std bikes for 08, fitting the frame anti-scuff cover properly with a heat gun and waterproofing the airbox, then it were time for dinner.

Will fire it up tonight as it's off to the final 2 rounds of the North Island Champs on the weekend and must get it going proper like.

Ta ta, PeterB.

Hi Steveo,

My previous bike was a 2006 Raga 300 with Ohlins shock, which I thought was just bril. In comparison to this bike, the 08 300 Raga has a stronger pulling motor with pretty well spot on carburation from the box. Air screw out one full turn, fine on the bottom picks up very clean with a slightly weak mixture after 1/4 throttle. I didn't have enough time before the event to set up perfectly and they usually richen up after breaking in anyway. Fitted an inline fuel filter as there is no filter on the Keihin. Motor feels very torquey, much more so than the 06 model. A couple of other GG riders had a go and gave it the immediate thumbs up after just a few seconds on the bike, it does pull well. Gearing with 10/42 is too high for me, too quick up the creeks (becks) in bottom, it feels like the older bike with an 11/42. Gear ratios feel closer together 1 through 4 and it doesn't have such a large clunk from 4th to 5th. Will try a 9/42 combination soon.

The exhaust note is quieter than the 06 and still sounds a treat, music to my ears.

Steering lock is less then the 06, due to the plastic frame protector, I'll take this off. Forks are the Sachs GG 40mm with steel stanchons. The action felt better than the 06 and the front end didn't feel any heavier than the older bike. I understand that GG will have aluminium alloy stanchons on later bikes, don't know when. Standing position did feel slightly different with footrests a little farther back and lower, it was all good. The back end has a Sachs shock, still a bit new for a proper comparison as these take quite a while to soften up, but it be hard pressed to equal the Ohlins which is initially very soft and then still ok for the bigger rocks.

I had just weighed a new 2008 300 std bike with oil, water and no fuel, 34 Kg front, 35 rear. Unfortunately when I weighed the Raga, I had already fuelled up with approx 2 litres, approx 1,600 gms and fitted a flywheel weight, 750 gms. The Raga was the same weight as the std bike front and rear which would place it at about 66.65 Kg without fuel and weight. Well thats about all, the over-riding feature was the torquey power delivery from the motor, just brilliant. I like the new frame, looks pretty and didn't get in the way, would prefer to hide the HT coil away but there is less room under the headstock than previous.

Bye, PeterB.

Neat, (I'm also sure I've got a jumper just like that in a drawer somewhere too) I saw my first one here in the U.S. at the Ute Cup in Colorado last month. Very light and responsive and very pretty, inspite of the two days of rain, hail and mud it had to soak up running up and down the mountain.

Jon

Ooooooooooooooooooo, I'm in love. Just rode the 09' 250 Raga today while we were setting up the club Trial for tomorrow. That is one sweet bike and I like that engine better than the 280/300, plenty of smooth power, like my modified 280, and it starts first kick, every time-no choke. It's got the Sachs shock and Zoke aluminum forks and they work really well together. The frame may look spindly in photos but is quite stout in person and the fork stops are a thick pad that can be replaced in a second, nice touch. The muffler mounts are now beefy and the carbon fiber final muffler looks heavy duty too. I'm on the list for the 4T when it comes over here, but the engine mounts look the same, maybe I could just get a Raga engine and switch engines now and then, the best of both worlds....:thumbup:

Jon

peter b i am correct in thinking that you turn the air screw all the way in and

then turn it out one full turn ?

is the in line filter just one of those clear plastic ones put in the middle of the fuel pipe ?

i have also used 100ml of castrol tts in 5lit of petrol for the first 2 mixes what do i mix to now ?

what gear box oil would you recomend, i have some elf htx740 left over from my 4rt

i have fitted mine with rear the gold 42 tooth and a slow action throttle

and i am loving it so far, but i have come from a 4rt so not up on carb set ups

any help would be great

jsp

Edited by jsp