09 320 4t Help With Cold Starting

kingfisher

i got my new 09 320 4t yesterday was one on it for the first time today,

find it very hard to start when cold takes about 15-20 kicks. when warm it only takes about 4-5 kicks

this is my first 4t i had an 07 Caby before.

any help with carb setting and starting ideas, to make it easyer

Thanks

I know that the 09 has a different carb than my 08, but best advice someone gave me when I first got mine was to not use the choke at all - I tried it

and have never used the choke since - starts from cold no problem. Try it, see if its the same on the 09 as it is on the 08....

i got my new 09 320 4t yesterday was one on it for the first time today,

find it very hard to start when cold takes about 15-20 kicks. when warm it only takes about 4-5 kicks

this is my first 4t i had an 07 Caby before.

any help with carb setting and starting ideas, to make it easyer

Thanks

spent about 4 hours on one, keep your hand off the throttle, don't stab at the kick start like a 2t, find the top of the stroke, take a smooth consistent plung, start it in neutral, the one i rode was brand new and started first kick all day in varying conditions.

cheers

another problem i tryed to start it the way you said to kick it i now can get it started in 6-9 kick but when it starts it only stays going for a couple of minites and then stops. i have tryed screwing the idleing screw in to fasten the tick over but it still does the same thing

Edited by kingfisher

Take a few minutes and clean the carb just for precautions we found a little piece of plastic in a new 09 the other day that was causing starting and running problems. After that it ran great, what a motor, park the john deer tractor !

Thanks for all your help,

I tock the air box off last night and found a screw in the bottom of the box and bits of black plastics, I cleaned the carb and airbox, and fitted a 45 pilot jet instead of the standard 42 has it seamed to be running lean, i will get it built up tonight and see if that makes a difference.

if it does not get any better i think i will go back to the 290.

it start 2nd kick all the time when warm, but when it is cold it will take about 5-7 minites to start, and to get it started you have to hold the throttle full open.

i give up, i will try it this week end and see if it get any better as i only have about 4-5 hours on it now

I assume that you bought this bike from a reputable Sherco dealer, why don't you take it back to him and have it checked out. It should not take 5 - 7 minutes to start when it is cold. Having to hold the throttle wide open indicates that it is flooded. My 08 would typically start on the 3rd or 4th kick, I left it with a dealer in Oklahoma who is going to sell it for me as I have an 09 on order. It did get to the point where it would not start, I received a note last night that he has taken the carb off and found grease inside of it. I assume that the starting circuit was plugged. I applied grease to the air box spigot to make it easier to insert into the hose on the carb, must have used to much.

What technique are you using to start the bike and have you checked the float level?

Wayne

on the starting front from cold I turn the idle screw a full turn clockwise with no throttle and it starts first or second kick let it warm up then turn the idle screw anti clockwise to set your desired tickover, if you have any problems when hot repeat this way and this starts mine again first or second kick hope that helps you mark

...this is my first 4t i had an 07 Caby before.

Being as it is your first 4t then hopefully someone has advised you that it needs a different technique to start than the Caby replica.

Don't rush it - think it through.

You need a slower steady kick and hold, rather than a quicker stabbing kick as on the 2t.

Start by taking your hand right off the twistgrip just in case you are tempted to open it through habit as on 2t without realising it.

It may not need any choke unless really cold but will take longer to warm up than a 2t, after which you will be everybodies friend when it comes to drying (lhs) or burning (rhs) wet gloves.

If it doesn't start with zero throttle, then just open the throttle just a hair.

If it still doesn't start but sounds as if it is trying then hold the throttle half open, but get ready to shut the throttle off as soon as it fires into life.

Have you checked that the automatic decompressor is working fine?

Some people have better luck with different grades of petrol.

You may want to try starting with the bike on a bikestand (not the kickstand) until the procedure becomes 2nd nature, as then you wont have to balance while taking your time to follow the procedure.

Your results may vary. Everyones starting experience is different.

If all else fails then get with someone who is used to starting fourstrokes and can explain top dead centre.

Keep the carb and air filter spotless. There is a lot of engine to feed ..and no carb filter so keep an eye on the fuel tank tap filter screen.

You did not mention how the bike runs once started to narrow this down to just a starting issue.

Persevere as it is well worth it. The 4t takes a long time to break in and starting does get easier.

Enjoy - the 320 is a blast to ride! :unsure:

Not to change the topic, but !

I think on the 4T's a bit of light oil in the carby slide bore may be recommendable as they basically run dry! Logic dictates that this may make them more succeptable to sticking with any grit or stuff that may bypass the filter! :unsure: