Week 89 - Meeting Aspirations

Andy

A previous post used golf as an analogy, which is quite interesting.

At this years Open (Royal Birkdale) well over 2000 entries were recieved and following several qualifying rounds just 150 players teed it up in the Championship, with only half of them making the halfway cut (and these 75 probably made a profit)

The fact that the likely winner could be guessed at, from say 10 players did not deter the others from sending off thier

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been a very interesting read to say the least. I do not have any thoughts of commenting on the BTC being a Canadian. But, as the father of an up an coming young rider, I do have a very keen interest in the sport I have enjoyed and loved for the last 30+yrs. I have in that time ridden a couple of WTC events in the 80s and the very first Cdn TDN team. I have watched in my time the numbers in most events dwindle, all the while as the skills of the riders, the technology of the bikes, and the price ALL rise! I guess when you look at it, its a natural progression, the passion to improve. Its really exciting to say the least. But, I say that as someone who has already been hooked on the sport.

I do agree that something has to change and it has to come from the top=FIM and the manufacturers. I would think that the manufacturers would have a major stake in all of this, because they stand the most to lose. I guess if it was me, I would be having a meeting with all the others and the FIM and approaching it as a business and how to grow the brand of trials. In my mind, we need to find a way to grow the sport at the grass roots level with affordable machines, yet at the same time, allow growth at the top end to continue. Changing the way the sections are at the top level(FIM) to allow more riders to compete cannot be a bad thing. That would then apply to the different countries and trickle down. No matter what the severity of the sections, the cream will always rise to the top.I do not know how to acheive this, perhaps Ishys idea of the gate trial theory. Although I must admit, I have never personally ridden one before so cannot comment accurately.

I do know that from the time I started competing to now, the numbers has dropped dramatically, and that cannot be good for anyone involved. So, we need to continue having dialogue and try some different things to make a change.

Steve

Edited by Steve Fracy

I think Sunt makes some very valid points and of course he has been there riding them.

I think it has to be accepted that the few top riders aiming to make it at Euro and WC will still need and wish to ride these hard BC sections - but as I have said - it should not be necessary to make all the sections like this - and I also agree with the scenario that watching our top riders fail section after section does nothing for any argument.

So - for sure we will be looking at a reduction in severity in some of these 12 sections - but as someone else has mentioned - making sure it happens is the difficult bit - and that I suppose will be down to us.

I have to admit - far to often I think we all use the excuse that the rain/ bad weather made things more difficult than intended- it is time we all accepted that in UK there is a damm good chance of rain - and we need to err on the side of caution. If we then start to get numerous complaints thatb the sections were to easy ( which I doubt) we can deal with it.

It may be that we will have to take the bull by the horns and determine some exact criteria - and stick with it - and events that do not met the set down criteria will have to relinqish a round. Hard to do - and certainly not popular - but this may be the only option. All this will be discussed with Organisers

On subject of practice - this always brings lots of comments - and in every Brit Champ meeting we discuss it - and will again. I must say however that it should not be thought that it is just for the benefit or riders - it is not - although I would take a lot of convincing that they would get on with job in early sections if there had been no practice. The fact remains - especially in venues where the Club has no top riders to call on /advice - that the practice session allows changes to be made. I think I have probably been to more BC rounds than most - and certainly on most occasions the C/Course has used the practice sessiobn to determine a few changes - and often ease sections which he had marked on the ambitious side. There are always pro's and con's on this matter - and it will be discussed.

As I have said in last post - our emphasis will also very much be in making the Experts - and I use example of Expert A and Expert B classes which will accomodate the level of riders who are in them.

It has already been said that there are some very good past Championship riders - who now find they have to take time and work into account - and the demands of constant practice ( needing a minder for practice as well) - are just too great. Therefore we wish to investigate the possibility of catering for this group of riders - and I think there could be quite a few - with sections suitable for their ability.

However - we do not wish to deter those good - but lower order Expert riders - and it is here that we wish to make a new class - which I have called Expert B for now.

In summary - the suggestion is to try - with 3 classes ( and of course the top youth) to cater for

Championship - The small number of World and European runners and those who aspire to do so

Experts - The ex Championship riders - and those on way up to Champ level in future - and despite what people say - there are always some.

Expert B - The lower order Experts - and those who wish to try British Champ - but do not need to be thrown in at the deep end or have to ride sections which are way above their capability

The British Champ meeting is on November 22nd. All potential organisers have been invited ( I say potential - for of course calendar is not formed yet)

Championship riders and top xxxx placed Expert riders have been invited.

Press have been invited. Importers have been invited.

The comments made on TC have been noted by Mick Wren, myself and other mebers of the T & E and we will take it all into account - and hopefully arrive a few changes to improve the BC

I think this is a very good idea John and it is the suggestion I made in the previous weeks topic! I am sure that this will increase the number of riders and will create another competitive class which will add a bit more interest to the series. I am having another bash at the british champs next year but I have the added dilemma now of a) do I struggle a bit on the expert "a" course or :guinness: have a fair chance of winning the new route if it comes into play!!!!!!

Think it's good to remember in this ultra modern way of Trials where you stop,hop and take off Britain is not the president,would'nt it be wise for our handfull of hopefull's forget the BTC and spend there resource's riding out in place's like spain as much as possible,after all that's where the rider's are they need to beat in the WTC.

Think it's good to remember in this ultra modern way of Trials where you stop,hop and take off Britain is not the president,would'nt it be wise for our handfull of hopefull's forget the BTC and spend there resource's riding out in place's like spain as much as possible,after all that's where the rider's are they need to beat in the WTC.

And are you paying ? :guinness:

I'd much rather have my money spent on begginers and youngsters who can't afford to get into the sport. The kind of people who are going to turn up at club trials and keep the sport alive.

Your not understanding what im saying.

If you can't afford to get into trials in the first place you probaly can't afford a bag of crisps either.

Part of what im trying to say is maybe one of those begginer's could be our man for the future,but does'nt have the money to even get to the airport.And with very few sponsors in the uk willing to send riders abroad to get that experiance he need's,he stays riding the BTC,then getting bored with that he give's up on trials totaly.Then the whole cycle starts all over again,goodness we think small over here.

It's not just trials. It's most sports you can think of except for the mainstream sports. You either have money within the family, or you get VERY lucky and gain big sponsorship, or you sell everything you've got and live on a tight budget busting a gut to get to the top.

It might seem like a cute idea, but you can't expect the whole of the rest of the sport to support the top riders.

Would I object to double the ACU licence to support the top riders - probably.

Would I object to double the ACU licence to support a scheme which encouraged or introduced new riders to trials - probably not.

You try to get your Sunday League football players to pay double subs so that your potential Wayne Rooney's can jet around Europe or the World. It won't happen. Maybe from other funds, the FA can afford to support these kind of players, but it's not the grass roots players directly supporting it, and you can't expect it to be.

I don't want to be too critical, but how many top riders are travelling round in a 10 year old Transit van so that they can travel round Europe with a new Repsol Honda? The fancy van won't win them the event, but until the grass roots riders see those sorts of sacrifices they're not likely to get their wallet out too quickly. Cruel but true!

Edited by bikespace

Jesus scorpa3 and bikespace your outrages im trying to pack here,im flying out to spain friday to ride cabrianes classic trial,i've got my sponsor,the Tax Payer. :guinness:

Anyway thats my idea on how to save The BTC flung out the window,look's like we're have another class added then.

I know it's a natural reaction to state that the sport needs to attract new young riders to survive, but that's always been the case and from the evidence I see it's already happening, without chunks of money being thrown at it. There are regularly 100+ riders at trials in my Centre, and that's probably about right for the land available. If anything entries are up on a few years ago so new riders are actually already being drawn in. Certainly there's no sign of the sport slipping into the doldrums for want of riders. OK, the current financial state we're in might have a negative effect over the next year, but I'd wager it'll be less than people think.