Making A Bike Road Legal

tom1

Yes you need speedo, horn, number plate, tax, mot and insurance and as far as I know , at least for the last 30 years that's it.

But I was stopped by the Police at a Trial this year and told that you should have a break light, if you are travelling faster than 25 mph.

So as anyone else been told this

Never heard that one before! All i know is that if you have lights on the bike then they HAVE to work but if you don't have any, such as a headlight, you can put it through for just a day time MoT. When are you going to be riding your trials bike at night to be fair!??

Plus your number plate, tax and insurance, horn and speedo!

Edited by manx2day

These links may be of interest-

Clicky here!

or Clicky me too!

but at the end of the day, regardless of being in possession of a valid MOT, it's down how knowledgeable Mr or Mrs/Ms Plod are, if and when they stop you! (i.e. your lights/horn could accidently fall off when the bike is parked in the shed, nudge nudge wink wink say no more Guv)

GJ :D

the 25mph reference could be to do with the law tractors are put though as, and since many of these road legal quad's are going through as tractors (tractors with hydraulic steering - most - are capped at 25mph) now the boys in blue could be reading up on that law to get some of the hooligans on road legal quads.

ah thanks fellas

seems as long as its road registerd and well maintained it would be fiarly straight forward to get it through an MOT, i'm glad you dont need indicators and mirrors! :D that would look well good on a trials bike!

Edited by Tom1

dont need a speedo to get an mot or register the bike either.. rding on the road without one though would technically be an offence.

the real issues today would be getting an insurance co. to insure the thing on a frame no. only and most dvla centers now insist on visiting to see the bike even though this is not an acctual requirement more nice but not necessary.. Manchester old trafford are cool on this leeds insist on seeing the bike at your house and even bring acopper with them...

Edited by totalshell

i think i'l buy a pre road registerd bike so shouldn't need to take it to the dvla for inspection, but ta anyway, i've heard it can be a pain in the a*** registering a second hand bike,

would a digital speedo be road legal??

dont need a speedo to get an mot or register the bike either.. rding on the road without one though would technically be an offence.

the real issues today would be getting an insurance co. to insure the thing on a frame no. only and most dvla centers now insist on visiting to see the bike even though this is not an acctual requirement more nice but not necessary.. Manchester old trafford are cool on this leeds insist on seeing the bike at your house and even bring acopper with them...

My DVLA Dunstable insisted on a speedo.

dvla cant insist on anything.. all they have the requirement to do is establish that the vehicle exists as per the application.. ie make . model. age. frame and engine no.s. this can either be done on a home visit or they take the word of your MOT inspector.

if a police officer attends with the dvla they would be able to tell you that a speedo would be a legal requirement if/ when the vehicle was used on the road.

dont be put off it really is the simplest thing to do.

get the bike mot'd when you can, once you have that certificate i've done everything else in the same day no problems.. ( the VMCC club told me that same morning that it was impossible to do in less than a couple of weeks.. i sent him a photo later that day of the bike taxed and ready to go..)

Edited by totalshell

so the two guys in fluro jackets who stepped out of a white volvo with blue and yello squares on the side and a blue llight on top weren't traffic cops then.. who should i call..

seriously i've done about a dozen classic cars and bikes in the last 10 years and every time you go the process changes a little the cops came only once about 4 years ago ( from leeds dvla) leeds always insist on making an appointment at your home which must be in thier 'area' ie not close to another dvla centre.. where as manchester look at you as if you are mental when you telll them leeds want to do this...

the guys at manchester have always been spot on helpful and quick i've had to wait sure for up to 4 hours but job done every time no probs..