Thinking Of Buying A Montesa

nathanharold1987

Hi,both good bikes ,try and have a go on both and see what you prefer

for me it would be the montesa,just to many problems with the beta,stators,coroding around the water pumps and the leaking carbs

have a look on the beta forum there is always someone with these problems

most bikes have let downs so comes down to personal choice,cheers

Hi Nathan,

I can't offer direct advice, but I'm in a similar boat to yourself, but coming back after a long break. I used to ride a 1992 260 Zero and loved it. I went straight for a Beta on my return and have just agreed to buy a 2001 Rev3 250 from a splendid chap on this site. I got lots of good advice from people on here and also from John Lampkin. That was good enough to keep me on a Beta! I'm sure Jim Sandiford will be able to offer advice with things to look out for on a Montesa as well.

Back in the day (I stopped around 1997), I found gasgas to have slightly dubious finish and Montesas (the 315R of the time) didn't really suit me. I found the front a bit vague. I just clicked with the Zero (I won my first trial first time out on it; that was good enough for me!). I'm sure any criticisms are long buried now though. Back then, I used to ponce rides on other people's bikes at trials. There is no better way to find out if you 'fit' with a bike. If you can, that's definitely a good route.

I'll let you know how I get on with my Rev3 though.

Graham

What are peoples perception of a Montesa Cota 315R around 03?

Any problems with this bike? As I am only using for light trials riding at a weekend would this bike do the trick. Again, I am upgrading from a 92 Aprilia Climber so I assume this will be a big improvement.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Nathan

Edited by nathanharold1987

Can't speak for the 03 as mines a 99, I think they changed the forks and carb by the time it go to 03.

Very solid bikes, reliable and mine doesn't mind being thrown down rocks. Huge improvement over the Climber.

Mines quite aggressive, feels like a crosser at times, suits me but not for everyone. Not sure if this changed with the change of carb on the later model.

Problems are sticky clutch (had to change the steel plates before mine felt good) and weak front brake (mines been fine).

Hi,both good bikes ,try and have a go on both and see what you prefer

for me it would be the montesa,just to many problems with the beta,stators,coroding around the water pumps and the leaking carbs

have a look on the beta forum there is always someone with these problems

most bikes have let downs so comes down to personal choice,cheers

Both bikes are good bikes but every single one has it's own foibles. If you get a good bike that's been well looked after you don't get this multitude of problems, my 02 Beta has none of the problems because it's taken care of. Be patient, look around until you can find something nice and clean.

Both bikes are good bikes but every single one has it's own foibles. If you get a good bike that's been well looked after you don't get this multitude of problems, my 02 Beta has none of the problems because it's taken care of. Be patient, look around until you can find something nice and clean.

Did not realise you could prevent the stators packing in or the coroding issues,please explain.

Shnaft, can I comment on that, even though I don't got my new Beta yet?

I'm in the electronics trade, so from that point of view my thoughts:

Electronic components rarely 'just fail'. It is some change that causes failure. Now, those changes may be small and crucially, within the normal operating conditions. However, changes they are. In the case of a stator plate these changes may include water (a common substance in trials!) and earthing issues. It's fair to say that is possible to minimise the impact of both of these with scrupulous maintenance. I'm not suggesting for a moment that 'it's all our fault' or that it's OK for Beta's to suffer these more than others (it may be that Beta do not have enough safe margin in this area), but I would trust a very well looked after bike to be less prone to electrical failure than one less so. In particular, with regard the earthing of any part of the electrical system.

This is all from a theoretical point of view, but hey!

Graham

Did not realise you could prevent the stators packing in or the coroding issues,please explain.

Okay Shnaft, fair point.

Stators: Depends on the years, I believe the dodgy ones came from about 04 onwards. I replaced mine when I got it whether it needed it or not. Secondly, if you look after them properly, you minimise the risk of failure. Keep the timing side as clean and dry as possible, water and dirt are you biggest enemies. If the casing is excessivley wet inside the whole lot comes off for a dry and a clean, this also lets you look for "other" leaks. My old man's 04 needed Stator and CDI replaced not long after he got it but have been fine ever since.

Corrosion: Again, I believe year specific. Coolant wise I always try to use distillied/demineralised water with an organic based anti-freeze/coolant, minimise the chemical reactions. If the bike is going to be lying a while, I'll drain it.

Carbs: Yes the mikuni carb is crap but if you take the time to do the mods, keep it clean, strip it down every three or four outings you don't get leaks. A big part of the "Carb Issue" is your air filter make sure you have a clean well oiled filter every time you go out.

It's not rocket science and every marque of bike has it's own idiosyncrasies but good maintenance and bags of TLC minimise the the potential problems.

Either way, for the guy who started the thread, take your time, ensure that what you spend your hard earned on is right for the money and that you are comfortable with it. As quick a check as any I've found to give insight into your prosepective purchase is to whip the float drain off the bottom of the carb. If it's clean inside chances are the guy knows what he's doing and you might be onto a good thing.

Shnaft, can I comment on that, even though I don't got my new Beta yet?

I'm in the electronics trade, so from that point of view my thoughts:

Electronic components rarely 'just fail'. It is some change that causes failure. Now, those changes may be small and crucially, within the normal operating conditions. However, changes they are. In the case of a stator plate these changes may include water (a common substance in trials!) and earthing issues. It's fair to say that is possible to minimise the impact of both of these with scrupulous maintenance. I'm not suggesting for a moment that 'it's all our fault' or that it's OK for Beta's to suffer these more than others (it may be that Beta do not have enough safe margin in this area), but I would trust a very well looked after bike to be less prone to electrical failure than one less so. In particular, with regard the earthing of any part of the electrical system.

This is all from a theoretical point of view, but hey!

Graham

Hi,graham

Interesting point about the earthing,i was looking through a recent post in the beta section and a guy came up with an interesting point regarding the earthing of the kill switch on the beta

im not knocking the beta i had one,just that they dont seem to fix the issues,you still get people having stator probs on 08 bikes,the mikuni carb on my old 96 techno leaked fuel and more than 10 years later they still leaked

ive done the carb mods before

i was only giving my opinion that between the two on law of averages there were less probs with the montesa

Okay Shnaft, fair point.

Stators: Depends on the years, I believe the dodgy ones came from about 04 onwards. I replaced mine when I got it whether it needed it or not. Secondly, if you look after them properly, you minimise the risk of failure. Keep the timing side as clean and dry as possible, water and dirt are you biggest enemies. If the casing is excessivley wet inside the whole lot comes off for a dry and a clean, this also lets you look for "other" leaks. My old man's 04 needed Stator and CDI replaced not long after he got it but have been fine ever since.

Corrosion: Again, I believe year specific. Coolant wise I always try to use distillied/demineralised water with an organic based anti-freeze/coolant, minimise the chemical reactions. If the bike is going to be lying a while, I'll drain it.

Carbs: Yes the mikuni carb is crap but if you take the time to do the mods, keep it clean, strip it down every three or four outings you don't get leaks. A big part of the "Carb Issue" is your air filter make sure you have a clean well oiled filter every time you go out.

It's not rocket science and every marque of bike has it's own idiosyncrasies but good maintenance and bags of TLC minimise the the potential problems.

Either way, for the guy who started the thread, take your time, ensure that what you spend your hard earned on is right for the money and that you are comfortable with it. As quick a check as any I've found to give insight into your prosepective purchase is to whip the float drain off the bottom of the carb. If it's clean inside chances are the guy knows what he's doing and you might be onto a good thing.

Hi,slapshot

i would not say the corrosion issues were year spacific have a look on recent postings in the bete section

like i said i liked the beta but these issues put me of buing a new one

anyway good luck to the opening poster on getting a new bike

Hi,graham

Interesting point about the earthing,i was looking through a recent post in the beta section and a guy came up with an interesting point regarding the earthing of the kill switch on the beta

im not knocking the beta i had one,just that they dont seem to fix the issues,you still get people having stator probs on 08 bikes,the mikuni carb on my old 96 techno leaked fuel and more than 10 years later they still leaked

ive done the carb mods before

i was only giving my opinion that between the two on law of averages there were less probs with the montesa

Sorry if we're hijacking this chap's thread, but it's a good discussion on the merits of both bikes!

Yes, Beta do seem to have an Italian attitude to repetetive issues! My old 1992 Zero leaked fuel too! It was only a problem when I kept it in the lounge so I could look at it. :D

Certainly, there are some recurring issues that seem to crop up, but I think the general advice is good; buy the best looked after bike you can find. They are all good bikes, and all can have problems.

Sorry if we're hijacking this chap's thread, but it's a good discussion on the merits of both bikes!

Yes, Beta do seem to have an Italian attitude to repetetive issues! My old 1992 Zero leaked fuel too! It was only a problem when I kept it in the lounge so I could look at it. :D

Certainly, there are some recurring issues that seem to crop up, but I think the general advice is good; buy the best looked after bike you can find. They are all good bikes, and all can have problems.

Graham

my problem with the Beta is that no matter the issues, it's still the best bike I've ever ridden, that includes more modern machines. Hop Nathan gets a good un