Hard Starting 06 4rt

zerodog

Here is the deal. 06 4rt 65hrs on it. If the bike sits for a week it is pretty tough to start. Once started it runs great. Then it will start will little trouble after it is warmed up. Here is what I have looked at so far.

Spark Plugs - new ones do not help

Throttle cable- clean lubed and loose.

Checked valve lash- In spec

Fuel pump- Tested with 12vdc and it pumps instantly

Spark- Seems to need a very hard kick to spark at all when testing. If I kick softly or slowly, nothing at all.

So I think I have some weak component of the ignition. Bad coil? I have looked in the book and it says to test the Primary coil. I did that and it checks out good. And it also says in the same section to check the secondary coil. But it doesn't say what or where that is. What is it?

Any ideas will help

Hi mate,ive got the same problem as you ,i have done all the tests to and just found out tonight how to test the secondary coil.

put one lead on the terminal and the other lead at the ht lead,i will check mine tomorrow

can any one confirm with the plug out you need a hard kick to get a spark cause mine is the same

i was going to change the ht lead and cap and see what happens,i tried turning up the tick over but did not make any difference

tick over is critical as due to no battery the fuel injection relies on capacity for charging. Low tick over means that this is not getting enough charge.

Always stop the bike with the stop button, and press the stop before trying to start, flick the throttle open and shut prior to pushing stop button. This resets ecu.

Still no joy try

2 very long slow kicks with the throttle wide open not trying to start the bike, snap throttle shut, press stop button and then try to start.

Also

I have found that when putting a clean air filter in with spray filter oil on the bike is a pig to start, the solvent off the filter oil must cock up the air flow meter in the throttle body.

Make sure this is not the case or maybe you are spraying WD40 or something in and around the air box.

A 4rt should always start within a couple of steady kicks -throttle closed mind.

Hope some of that helps as Honda bits are normally pretty reliable

Ralph had abit of a nightmare starting his 07 4rt just before a trial recently, he kicked the bike over the night before to make sure his spanner work had been ok and killed the engine before the fan kicked in :) .Next morning no amount of kicking or new plugs would fire her up, thankfully a rider nearby told him to hold the throttle wide open, push the kickstart down slowly three times then kick it over, fired first go :( not sure why but expect it reset something

Hi mate,ive got the same problem as you ,i have done all the tests to and just found out tonight how to test the secondary coil.

put one lead on the terminal and the other lead at the ht lead,i will check mine tomorrow

can any one confirm with the plug out you need a hard kick to get a spark cause mine is the same

i was going to change the ht lead and cap and see what happens,i tried turning up the tick over but did not make any difference

Let me know what you find.

What do you mean HT lead? Do you mean the plug wire? So you are saying measure from one of the primary terminals to the plug wire?

I have tried the tickover thing. In the past this has gotten it started but the bike is screaming. Probably 2500rpm or more. I do have a pretty fast idle going. And this does help. But does not cure this problem at all. And the reset is key to know just in general. It helps if it doesn't start on the 2nd or 3rd kick at any point. But again....... doesn't solve my starting problem after sitting for a while.

Can one of you guys try kicking it and watching the spark on your bikes? And notice how hard you need to kick to get spark and at what point does it spark?

Let me know what you find.

What do you mean HT lead? Do you mean the plug wire? So you are saying measure from one of the primary terminals to the plug wire?

I have tried the tickover thing. In the past this has gotten it started but the bike is screaming. Probably 2500rpm or more. I do have a pretty fast idle going. And this does help. But does not cure this problem at all. And the reset is key to know just in general. It helps if it doesn't start on the 2nd or 3rd kick at any point. But again....... doesn't solve my starting problem after sitting for a while.

Can one of you guys try kicking it and watching the spark on your bikes? And notice how hard you need to kick to get spark and at what point does it spark?

Thats right mate any terminal at coil stick the other in the plug cap

All the checks were ok apart fron the test on the alternator coil which should be 0.7 to 1, and i get 1.4,but i get 14.4 volts at tickover so spot on.

I plan on going out with it today so will see what hapens,yesterday took 6 kicks from cold then started 1st kick all day,let me now how you get on.

Hi,

Spark is always weak when removed from head.

Be sure that the throttle is REALY CLOSED when you try to start, leave the throttle closed while starting do not open it.

when you push down the kickstarter do it slowly not the way you should do as with a 2 stroke.