Guest Yamaha_dude

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Yamaha_dude

Ok thanks i thought it was something along these lines...

I think Yamaha should start making trials bikes again, but then again, who dosnt, I think the amount of people who want one would be huge.

That would be great... :angry:

It would be nice if Yamaha did have more of a roll in the production on the Scorpa range, I like the simplicity of my TS125 4st, I think it would be great if they could make a 250cc bike along the same lines (aircooled etc etc) these are the sort of bikes that would sell...

One of the reasons I love trials is it's a cheap sport, somehow the Monty just seems to be out of my league (**** I must be getting old!)

I think that Yamaha obviously had the strategy to get out of Trials, and develop their MX bikes. In the last 5-10 years, they really have developed in MX (Remember that they were first with a Japanese 'Big 4' (Kaw/Suz/Hon/Yam) 4St MX bike (YZ400 in 99). They were really lagging behind in MX, now they are right up there.

To develop a bike now, particularly a 4st will require a clean sheet - and despite the size of the company, I still think it's a risk.

Honda have done their development, and now I think it will launch the new 4st, and chip away at the new model for the next 5-6 years. In the meantime, the forced change to 4St in world trials will get put back and back.

Yamaha I think have got it spot on - they have a Yamaha for sale in Japan (albeit a Scorpa), and they will continue to help support Scorpa in their development (I think there is a little more to the business agreement than supplying engines).

If they were to re-launch into Trials, they would be better off dusting down the tooling, and start making TY80's again - could sell em like hot cakes.......

In the meantime, I'll stick to my TY125S 4st......... :angry:

Just my thoughts......

John.

I agree that if they wanted to, Yamaha could theoretically justify it, I just think that at the end of the day, it's such a niche market that Yamaha's efforts are elsewhere. I dont think that will change.

Take Honda (Montesa) out of it, and all of the 'Big' players are small companies, with enthusiastic R&D people who put a lot into the sport. I think that's the way it will stay.

Which really is no bad thing !

John

What about the new 175 Marky

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie,

175 would be nice, a good balance between power and weight I would imagine.

I was just checking out the 04 Yam range of on/off road bikes,

The Engine's just look too big for pure Trials use, I would imagine this is why they used the TTR125 lump with it's light weight and SOHC internals.

Mark

below the 04 TTR250

post-10-1096487147.jpg

Edited by Marky G

We managed to get to Scorpa factory the week after the Swiss world round (a holiday junket from Australia) - and the day before we were there Alcaraz was testing their new 250 4T - we couldn't get a look but were told the engine was Yamaha - we were under the impression that the prototype was finished and sorted (english - french translation was average). We did get a bit more info about it - but as Andy does here, I would rather wait till its released to talk about it more - those Scorpa guys were mighty friendly and I don't want to say anything to p**s them off.

We did get to see the 4Tricks before intermot and a test on the new 175 - pretty snappy little beast - but I had to take it easy cause it was the boss's bike :) .

As for the 2005SY - only the stickers/colours and header pipe were changed.

Cheers,

ben_r

Heres a foto of me on the boss's 175 talking to Jean-Marc (sales and exports guy)

post-10-1096494026.jpg

Edited by Ben_r