Restoration (phase 1) Complete!

rogerroger

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say what you like(good input),but I have often thought that if a bike were going to production in China for the masses it should be the 200 in this basic config or better!

A nice simple 4T that works well and inexpensive to maintain with inexpensive readily available parts.

There was/ is someone associated with Cotswalds classics that will do you a chineese motor 200 in a Majesty frame reproduction that I inquired about some time back. Cost as much as a new mod bike so that put me out.

If they can build radical tricked out pit bikes for nought, you would think they could do something worthwhile!

You blokes that are heavily into this stuff may have different views, not sure.

:guinness:

Say what you like(good input),but I have often thought that if a bike were going to production in China for the masses it should be the 200 in this basic config or better!

A nice simple 4T that works well and inexpensive to maintain with inexpensive readily available parts.

There was/ is someone associated with Cotswalds classics that will do you a chineese motor 200 in a Majesty frame reproduction that I inquired about some time back. Cost as much as a new mod bike so that put me out.

If they can build radical tricked out pit bikes for nought, you would think they could do something worthwhile!

You blokes that are heavily into this stuff may have different views, not sure.

:guinness:

The cost is related to what they think you can afford. Take TY80's, they were a fraction of the price of a full sized bike, buy actually probably cost more to produce.

The cost is related to what they think you can afford. Take TY80's, they were a fraction of the price of a full sized bike, buy actually probably cost more to produce.

Yes very true, I know someone with a Cotswold and he's on his 4th engine I always say you get what you pay for !!

i think its a case of you dont get what you dont pay for.

I had the misfortune to buy a China built quad for my lad.

The chain wore out after a couple of outings and was actually made up of 4 short peices with 4 split links.

The "paint" fell off the frame after a few months, whilst rectifying that I spotted that most of the joints were at best tack welded. Whilst re-welding the frame it came to light that the tubes was little better than conduit.

a few months later he had managed to wear a hole in the clutch cover with his muddy boots.........

The electics were a night mare..

No spares back up, no re-sale value... it would have been cheaper to buy a Suzuki.

i think its a case of you dont get what you dont pay for.

I had the misfortune to buy a China built quad for my lad.

The chain wore out after a couple of outings and was actually made up of 4 short peices with 4 split links.

The "paint" fell off the frame after a few months, whilst rectifying that I spotted that most of the joints were at best tack welded. Whilst re-welding the frame it came to light that the tubes was little better than conduit.

a few months later he had managed to wear a hole in the clutch cover with his muddy boots.........

The electics were a night mare..

No spares back up, no re-sale value... it would have been cheaper to buy a Suzuki.

The moral of this sorry tale is not to buy anything untill it has been on the market for a while and all the teething problems are sorted / known about.

Yep, even caught Big Johns eye! I just think it a shame that one cannot really just go out and purchase a nice little bike like this any longer.

Even if you managed to build one up, most would afraid to really ride it for fear of damage.

The pity of it all has been stated. You can build anything of any quality you like in China, just costs a bit more, as the technology is there.

Yet they continue to send out a lot of cheap worthless junk not worth having in some cases. A total waste of time and materials! Yet at the same time, nobody will invest in a quality product to market!

An as such, the old and proven technology is lost in favor of ever cheaper and replaceable junk!

And I will go so far to say that the current economy reflects it as a whole. Folks are conserving for quality needs as compared to spending on more junk!

I agree, but at some point the Chinese will turn their attention to quality rather than quantity, and the economies of the UK and USA will be sunk. Japanese cars were laughed at in the 70s, so don't think the Chinese will not be able to do the same. But don't worry, we will still have our service industries and our Starbucks.

Big John, glad you like it!

I agree, but at some point the Chinese will turn their attention to quality rather than quantity, and the economies of the UK and USA will be sunk. Japanese cars were laughed at in the 70s, so don't think the Chinese will not be able to do the same. But don't worry, we will still have our service industries and our Starbucks.

Big John, glad you like it!

And they will go union soon so we cannot afford them! :D