Spectating At The Scott

neonsurge

Where's the best place to spectate at the Scott? Despite living reasonably close, I don't know the area very well and I've heard that the roads around the more easily accessible sections get very busy so it's worth making the effort to hoof it a bit. Can anyone recommend somewhere to park up that's within reasonable walking distance of at least a couple of sections (I'm assuming that non-competing bikes aren't allowed)? Would the paddock be a good place to start or would I just be adding to the congestion?

The bad news is that map is last years. The event will run in reverse direction this year....well almost. So you will need to buy a Scott programme, which will be available locally in the weeks leading up to the event & on the start field on the day of the event.

First rider starts at 9.00 am & it is advisable to get there early to soak up the atmophere. Everything then happens quickly & I'd advise probably only going to 2 groups & then the finish. In my opinion the best sections for spectators are Shaw Gutter (2 sections normally) & Surrender, these are the toughest spectator sections. For Scott mayhem probably Underbanks (first spectator group whichever way the course runs) is good, you'll see the whole field of 200 through here in less than an hour. The section's a set of steps with raised viewing to both sides, I went there last year & at one point there was 7 or so in the section at once. The first batch of Andys section photos are from here. http://www.trialscentral.com/cms/showartic...p?articleID=171

Alternatively you can get in touch with Richmond Motor Club & help on the day with Observing, number checking etc. (Great way of seeing those out of the way tough sections) Contact me on:-

james AT richmondmotorclub.com

Just received my 'Final Instructions' and the 'Scott Souvenir Programme' through the post today. The glossy, full-colour programme looks very impressive and must have taken some time to put together so professionally.

Looking at the statistics, 1998 must have been a really tough year - only 2 finishers for every 10 starters :D

From 1999 through to 2003 inclusive, only 2 out of every 5 riders finished the Scott. I think I need a stiff drink :angry:

Edited by Kinell

Guest Yamaha_dude

Hey PERCE, im observing ive just heard.

Will i get some sort of pack through the post?

Or where will i get my stuff?

Im going around some of the sections on my bike in the morning following the course (but not actually on the course) then im taking me bike up tet section and observing.

I much prefer the newer rmc website tet awd en, a lil low on info at the mo but im sure it will get sorted soon :P

:D YD Richard Longstaff GD :angry:

I much prefer the newer rmc website tet awd en, a lil low on info at the mo but im sure it will get sorted soon  :D

Ignoring the gibberish bit in the middle - so do I. It bears a slight resemblance to another well-known Trials site :angry:

Where's the best place to spectate at the Scott? Despite living reasonably close, I don't know the area very well and I've heard that the roads around the more easily accessible sections get very busy so it's worth making the effort to hoof it a bit.

99% of the problems with the busy sections are down to people parking inconsiderately. One car parked either side of a single-track road with just enough space to get a family car through between them. Along comes Mr. Transit support vehicle and he's too wide to get through, but there are 40 or 50 others behind him. He can't go forward, he can't go back so everything grinds to a halt.

Surrender isn't named for the riders - it's named for the spectators because you just give up trying to move your car and it's all down to folk not thinking before they park up. I sat for over an hour last year just trying to get past that one section - and it wasn't even on my list of sections to go to, I was just passing through! <rant over>

Guest Yamaha_dude
Along comes Mr. Transit support vehicle and he's too wide to get through

:D lol The newer site looks more professional and im not just saying that because it bears a close resemblance to another well known trials site either! :angry:

Edited by Yamaha_dude

I much prefer the newer rmc website tet awd en, a lil low on info at the mo but im sure it will get sorted soon  :D

Ignoring the gibberish bit in the middle - so do I. It bears a slight resemblance to another well-known Trials site :angry:

And we have a spint, is it Wonderboy in front? No it's Yamaha_Dude! But wait...

Naye be bugard, theres nout rong wi a bitar yorkshire accent  :angry:

ISSSSSSHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! Teach t'lad, please.

Andy, I have just spent the last hour carefully composing a very miffed post to some parties, and you just wrecked everything :D

"I'm irritated by people who post on the worlds premier English language Trials site in a language other than English. Guys if you must post please check your language before you click on the post button. It's really simple, just take a minute to check whether you'd submit your post to either your English teacher, tutor or the editor of your local paper.

Colloquisms are a different story. Ishy's posts to Perce are highly entertaining (if understandable) and probably wouldn't be out of place if inserted into the screenplay of "Calender Girls". But plain English would be appreciated by the rest of us resident in the colonies.

One day, some of those who are guilty will find yourselves in a job where you have to express their thoughts to others through the written media and it is on this criterea you will be judged. After all: what use is an idea that can't be shared?

Yup I'm an old fart, but one who appreciates the language and its power of persuasion and I know I'm not the only one."

Nevermind, Bigfoots OK, didn't trash my bike and will see him soon for supper!

"I'm irritated by people who post on the worlds premier English language Trials site in a language other than English. Guys if you must post please check your language before you click on the post button. It's really simple, just take a minute to check whether you'd submit your post to either your English teacher, tutor or the editor of your local paper.

It just needs to be signed "Angry, Tunbridge Wells" and it's perfect! :angry:

I spent 90% of my life involved in this sport talking to Yorkshiremen. I don't understand a bleeding word, but I have learned to nod politely :D