Rev 3 2008 Any Problems For Rebuild

millerme

can any one put my mind to rest i went to bvm yesterday and put a deposit on a 2008 rev 3 250cc after i give him the deposit he told me the bike was owned by one of the young boys that works in the parts dept i spoke to the boy and he told me that it had a engine rebuild a few weeks ago but the bike is only 10 months old this has set alarm bell ringin so i am thinking on pullin out of the deal after some serious thinking why should the bike have to have a rebuild in less than a year he told me the main bearing failed and had to be rebuild has any one heard of this problem as i dont want to pay big money for a problem bike

There was an issue with a number of 08 bikes due to the main bearings being assembled incorrectly. Apart from my son's 270 I am aware of another 2 in this area that failed in their first few months. All were repaired under warranty and to my knowledge have had no further problems.

So in answer to your problem, I believe it to be a one-off issue, and if it has been sorted it is unlikely to re-occur.

I hope that this puts your mind at rest

Just for your information, I had a 2006 270 and had the engine rebuilt at BVM in June last year due to the main bearings becoming noisey. It was actually taken in because of the usual stator and CDI failure. Anyway BVM did a smashing job on the rebuild and the engine ran fine until the day after boxing day during a trial, where the main bearings suddenly became noisey again.

I decided to change my bike at this point, because it was third hand when I bought it and there where tell tale signs of it having a pretty hard beginning to life. If it was me I would walk away, but that's me, once bitten twice shy.

However I would like to add that BVM are pretty good and will try and sort any problems out that you may have. If you do go for it, just try and get a gentlemen's agreement that they will consider any main bearing problems for the next six months.

Edited by pinkbike

A one month word of mouth? Remember the old saying about a contract not being worth the paper it's printed on? In this case you don't even get the paper. It sounds like BVM isn't actually selling the bike, just lending their name to the employee who's selling it. If that voice in the back of your head says, "Wait a minute, this doesn't seem quite right." then maybe you should listen to it.

I agree the idea of getting BVM to give a longer warranty is important and get it in writing. Buying from a dealer means paying more then you would from a private sale and if they can't stand behind the product you might as well not bother going though a dealer. If they won't extend the warranty then they have no confidence in the bike meaning either they don't trust their own work or the rebuild was done by somebody else (i.e. the kid in the parts department) under the name of BVM.

Take a good look at the prevailing price of used '08s and decide if the price of this one is worth the extra risk but I don't get any of the warm fuzzies I would want from a "dealer" bike the way you're describing this deal.

I HAVE A 2008 270 AND THE MAIN BEARINGS WENT AFTER JUST 5 TRIALS,BVM REPLACED THEM UNDER WARRANTY AND I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS SINCE. I WAS TOLD BY A VERY RELIABLE SOURCE THAT BETA USED CHEAPER BEARINGS THAT WERE NOT UP TO THE JOB SO ON A REBUILD BETTER BEARINGS ARE FITTED. I ALSO KNOW THE PEOPLE AT BVM VERY WELL AND THE PERSON WHO'S BIKE IS FOR SALE, THEY WILL LOOK AFTER YOU, THEY HAVE LOOKED AFTER ME EXCELLENTLY.

I also know the guys from BVM, the two young lads in the parts dept are very good riders so the 08 bike your on about would have seen a lot of full throttle action perhapse this is the reason for the rebuild, also remember if the engine had seen a lot of action then the other components would have as well and not been replaced (forks, rear shock etc). Have a look at the coating on the forks if this is starting to wear then i would be walking away rather quickly

• 2 weeks later...

I had issues with my 06 270 and the bearings needed changing within six months. I was told that starting a bike after washing and not warming it properly can cause condensation and lead to premature corrosion. Apparently the trick is to wash then prepare and not to start again until you ride it.

Any tips for looking after main bearings would be appreciated, as I have just forked out for a new bike!