Ty250 Clutch Springs

alan_nc

Running with four is ok, no slipping. Three i have not tried. This means that everybody out there with agood ty250 can butcher the clutch hub buy using a tyre lever or srewdriver to hold it and it will still work. I have 3 ty clutch hubs that people have mooded this way ;-(

I wouldn't advise altering the clutch itself as these bikes were NOT designed to be ridden in sections using the clutch. (See Mick Andrews!) If you want an easier pull then the best course of action is to fit a new modern cable with either a clutch lightener device or splash out and use one of the newer and of course more expensive levers. The new levers come with needle roller bearings in the perch and are a delight to use. I have the new levers on several of my bikes, but in general terms you are far better learning to ride without touching the "thing" after you have set off into the section. If you have your bike set up to idle, then reduce it to the stall and try riding sections just using delicate throttle control and letting the flywheel action take you through tight turns where you thought you would need that clutch thing!

Tony

Tony/Lee,

My reason for thinking about using the clutch in sections (hence the wish for lighter pull) is that most of my riding is against and in sections created for modern bikes. The local club I ride with doesn't have a special line for vintage bikes. Stopping is also allowed so using the clutch is almost required. In a tight section you may have to hop the back end around to set up for the next part. Even with a lot of practice hours I find my hand cramping by the end of a Trial.

Alan

I wouldn't advise altering the clutch itself as these bikes were NOT designed to be ridden in sections using the clutch. (See Mick Andrews!) If you want an easier pull then the best course of action is to fit a new modern cable with either a clutch lightener device or splash out and use one of the newer and of course more expensive levers. The new levers come with needle roller bearings in the perch and are a delight to use. I have the new levers on several of my bikes, but in general terms you are far better learning to ride without touching the "thing" after you have set off into the section. If you have your bike set up to idle, then reduce it to the stall and try riding sections just using delicate throttle control and letting the flywheel action take you through tight turns where you thought you would need that clutch thing!

Tony

You talk about using the clutch the way I talk about hopping !

Go to Youtube type Mick Andrews Larchant and watch the video. And if there is someone who can post a link can you post it here and tell me how to do it. Thanks

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RVRNZeFCnEM

Go to the link, highlight it, right click, copy,( come back to this site for instance) right click, paste. I think.

Edited by B40RT

To clutch or not to clutch...that is the question. i did one of micks training weekends and he gets you to ride with the left hand behind your back!

I know the problem with modern sections...thats why I sold my gasser7beta. it is difficult, for me at least to mix both style. On the other hand, mick did touch the clutch going round the right han tree on section3 and on many occasions he hast THE FINGER covering it.

Even on good twin shock trials like the exmoor, i still grab loads of clutch and the fanny just invites you to do so...(even built a 340 with section cases so its hydraulic....

anyway, not talking about the spirit, learning to ride without the clutch is probably best, see niel gaunt, but if you are crap like me, 4 springs has no negative effect what so ever. The clutch is a little lighter

L

I honestly find my standard set up at least as good as a modern bike.

Take out the actuating arm and make sure it is totally clean inside, regrease and fit new seal. (unscrew bolt just in front of rear sprocket)

With a brand new Venhill cable it is very light without the need to remove springs.

Removing two clutch springs would cause the pressure plate to rise unevenly when the clutch is pulled in. This could cause the clutch to drag and will cause uneven clutch plate wear. Yamaha put six springs in there for a reason, and they have been making motor bikes for a long time! Best thing to do is as Woody says and lengthen the arm on the under side of the engine. First of all though make sure your existing components are good like the lever, actuating arm and cable. You may find one of these is causing the heavy clutch, especially a badly routed cable. I dont find the clutch heavy on a ty 250 and to be honest once in the section its best left alone- for me anyway. Use it if you are in trouble, but i would suggest as a very last resort, but this is down to individual riding stile. Some can clutch in a section to their advantage, others clutch and fall off, some dont go near the clutch at all. If you watch a lot of twin shock or no stop rule trials you will usually see some riders with a finger or two covering the clutch lever just in case!

Thanks to everyone for the responses:

I'm riding modern trials on a '74 TY250 - this is the only local club that I have a chance to ride with. They have hydraulic clutches that can be pulled (and held) with one finger all day. My clutch works fine (for a '74 TY250) but I'm trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. No.... I can't afford, and don't really want a modern bike. Not only do we NOT have a "NO STOP" rule, we usually have several sections that you can't negotiate without stopping. I don't know about you guys but I just want to be able to ride a Trial every weekend.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I will put all to use (including trying the bike with 2 clutch springs removed).

Alan

Alan , Before you mod your clutch , Check this out http://www.pitposse.com/eapuclsy.html Or try one of B&J's adjustable pull levers .

The lever alone made the clutch light enough for my 9yr olds little hands on his ty .. and one finger for me .

Or if your feeling crafty Hebo makes a universal hyd. clutch conversion kit . I've never tried one , but have been told by folks in the know they work well ... Magura used to make one too , I beleive .

Glenn :thumbup:

Edited by axulsuv