My Day...

tombo46

As with alot of people, Sunday is the only day I can ride. So I tend to make the most of it which is why today was especially frustrating!

I got up bright and breezy at 7am ready for a proper days ride. I hadnt ridden last week due to repairs being done and the previous week was only 1/2 a day due to me breaking the swingarm so I was definatly ready for a good ride.

I set off from my home in Chesterfield to Hawks Nest near Buxton. driving along the weather looked beautiful, nice and bright, dry ground and only a bit of wind. After an hours driving and arriving at Hawks Nest this all changed, the wind was crazy, Door was nearly ripped off the van as it was dragged out my hand. I promptly decided it would be worth the effort to travel to a more sheltered Burycliffe Quarry near Matlock.

I arrived at Burycliffe 40 minutes later and was pleased to find there was very little wind. but instead of wind I was confronted with a Classic Trial. Being on a 2008 Gas Gas it was not an option to ride in this trial so I was forced to leave.

I thought to myself "Hang on, I dont remember there ever being mention of a Trial at Burycliffe this sunday" so I whipped out my copy of TMX and had a look. Imagine my fury when I found that there was absolutly no record of this trial taking place. Had the lazy gits at Midlands Classics Motorcycle Club learned how to use a telephone and rang up TMX to inform them that there was a trial being held it would have saved me money in diesel and alot of time that could have been spent riding.

I then travelled BACK to a very windy Hawks Nest and just made the most of it.

I spent the rest of the day being mardy and riding very badly in the wind.

Thanks Midlands Classic's for ruining my day!

All the best

Tom (still mardy)

Hi. .not a critiscism,but you could have always stayed put at the classic and helped out. beats driving around the countryside... i ride the modern stuff but heh ho cant win em all and its nice to see the thumpers.. happy days.

Sorry Tombo46, I'm not particularly sympathetic!

I have nowhere to practice and do sypathise that time is precious so losing a day is irritating, but you had a lot more options than me and many others on here! You got some practice in the end (I cannot practice at all without a 140 mile round trip, which I don't have time for) and as pointed out earlier, you could have helped out at the classic trial.

You have much to be thankful for, let's not moan, eh?

Graham

Your bad day is just about to get worse - Have another look in TMX - It's been in every week for the last few weeks and it's mentioned twice in this weekend's, once in regs, once in What's on.

I thought to myself "I better read it a few times to make sure, so I dont sound like a plonker", I must have read it about 5 times and I still missed it! damn, dont I feel stupid now....

I take back everything I said!

Tom

Lazy gits at the classic trials club for not using a phone?

Why didn't you phone up to see if it was open before setting off half way around the country?

Just a thought like.....

Very good point but I dont think Dave Glover would appreciate people ringing him up all the time asking. I just pay my membership and (attempt to) read TMX.

Either way, all this could have been avoided had I read the bloody paper right! its back to school for me!

Tom

Sorry Tombo46, I'm not particularly sympathetic!

I have nowhere to practice and do sypathise that time is precious so losing a day is irritating, but you had a lot more options than me and many others on here! You got some practice in the end (I cannot practice at all without a 140 mile round trip, which I don't have time for) and as pointed out earlier, you could have helped out at the classic trial.

You have much to be thankful for, let's not moan, eh?

Graham

My God, that is a hell of a drive! respect to you for still being in the sport! how often do you drive that far to ride?

Tom

I don't Tom, that's the point!

I could either do that, or build up brownie points at home so I can ride a trial instead. I'm fairly fond of my family, so that's what I tend to do! I ride trials every 3 weeks or so and in between think about where I could carve a legal section within a few miles of my house!

It's a cross I have to bear, but it doesn't stop me enjoying my sport. It just stops me being any good at it!

Graham

Just curious, but why didnt you ask if you could ride the classic trial as an invited rider i.e.riding with no placing inthe results? Done this before and most are more than happy to let you ride...

I didnt think id be able to do that because I was riding a modern bike? will definatly ask in future.

Timp. Ive ridden once at eden fields before, I like it and its very close to where I live. I did my frist trial there about a year ago and didnt find the club very helpful, I was a bit lost and was asking for help but the organisers didnt have much time for me. since then I havnt fancied riding a Sheffield and Hallamshire trial. the observers were spot on though, helpful and gace some sound advice =]

Tom

I don't Tom, that's the point!

I could either do that, or build up brownie points at home so I can ride a trial instead. I'm fairly fond of my family, so that's what I tend to do! I ride trials every 3 weeks or so and in between think about where I could carve a legal section within a few miles of my house!

It's a cross I have to bear, but it doesn't stop me enjoying my sport. It just stops me being any good at it!

Graham

Im selling my house if you fancy moving? you never know though, somewhere might crop up that you can ride. I met another greengrocer who happened to have some land in hathersage, he decided to get into trials and I ride up at his place every now and then, really good trials land and has only seen 2 motorbikes!

Best of luck!

Tom

I'm always on the lookout, but you have to be patient. One poor approach and doors close for a very long time. I found some land at the weekend and met the landowners. They are very nice but it is clear that a lot of relationship will need to be built before even thinking about broaching the subject.

It's a perennial problem and one that won't upset me. Until I can find somewhere to practice, I shall content myself with being pants!

Graham