Billy, This Topic Came Up!

copemech

I know this has come up before in some sense, but in looking for advise to others, I am unsure!

In the case of multi day trials, 2-3 or more, such as the Scottish even, IS there a preferred diatery intake, other than beer, that replenishes muscle loss and overdoing? Over the time?

After first day, supper of ? to replenish for the next day? Breakfast of what? Which is best? More carbs in the eve, more protien in the morn, Pizza, beef, eggs or sausages? Something, anything?

I know there must be some dietary science to this replinshment, other than beer! :thumbup:

For me personally i require a dense protein/fat diet, give me pasta, wholegrain etc and i become fatigued, i found this out at world biketrials rounds when being fed pasta the day before and finding all i wanted to do was sleep. While I personally need lots of protein I do, despite what most people think, eat carbohydrate i just make sure its in the correct %'s.

A meal for me when not training will be 3 portions of protein: 1 portion of carbohydrate, when training or competing i will increase the carbohydrate by 1 portion.

For the scott i required greater carbohydrate to replenish the glucose stores. So at every petrol stop i had a quick drink of RAW goat yogurt, 1/2 a banana and a small piece of lamb which i ate as i rode off. No energy drinks were used, i felt energized all day, felt a real difference everytime i refueled. The only issue i had was getting to the final petrol stop before my parents and missing out on getting food :-(

Scotland was different as the energy demand was slightly different, I'd typically eat, sausage, eggs, mushrooms for breakfast, beef burgers and a pear at the lunch break and then something similar in the evening. I suffered no muscle ache other than when i ended up repairing other riders through the week.

The easiest way to think of yourself is as either a diesel or petrol (gas) vehicle. I require diesel (dense protein) which burns slower in me. Theirs not a great abundance of carbohydrate around me for most of the year as the ground freezes (yes i know we have supermarkets nowadays). Give me petrol (carbohydrate) and I won't brake like a car would, but I'll get slower and slower. The easiest thing is to work out your own fuel mix and go from there. I'll send you a video from my tutor about it.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help :thumbup:

Disclaimer: Do not copy my diet (i doubt you will) as its specific to MY requirements and you may be the polar opposite.

Beer is full of goodness though.....

A good mix of anything will do, but Pasta is really full of replenishment energy - multi day Cyclists eat it by the truck load.

Too much of a generalisation, it's a balance of nutrition, Proteins and Carbs. Whereas 10 years ago a pro cyclist might have scoffed his way through 7000 to 10,000 Calories a day it's now probably 5000 to 7000 because of the understanding in how carbs are absorbed and how protein levels assist the absorbtion aand physical use of carbs.

Many Many moons ago I used to swim competitively and trained 5 hours a day most days, 2 hours before school, an hour at lunch and 2 more after school. I'd eat 6000+ cals a day to fuel swimming up to 8000M a day but more than80% of what we ate back then was carbs, boxes of mars bars and other sweets were it and most likely the cause of my rotten teeth and less than dynamic shape.... :thumbup:

Main point is, everyone's individual optimum diet is specific to them, you can only take a guide from what people tell you or advise, lots of trial and error involved. One study I read recently suggests its a 60% protein / 40% Carb split in general though exact percentages are obviously very individual.

A good place to start is with your plate split with 50% protein and carbohydrate, within half an hour to an hour of finishing the meal notice how you feel (obviously do this on a normal day not when your competing). If you feel sluggish, dulled, feel full yet hungry i.e craving something sweet then the ratio is probably a little high in protein. If you feel wired then tired (your blood sugar goes up then crashes), you get ADHD/ADD symptoms its too high in carbohydrate.

For water take your weight in kg x 0.033 = litres required per day of clean pure water. This doesn't take into account any exercise you may be doing or anything else you may consume such as caffeine. I drink 2.5 liters a day minimum. For the Scott i drank around 3 litres on the journey from derbyshire to yorkshire, another litre (which was the highest mineral content i could find) once i arrived and then had 500ml attached to each fuel can. I drank another litre on my way back home. So 8 litres in total and the following day i rode again and had 6 litres in total due more to removing the toxins (lactic acid build up) rather than the severity of the trial (although any trial is tough the day after the scott.

For the athletes i train i keep them to a natural wholefood diet wherever possible. Come race/game day if they need the kick of a (high quality) glucose shot i allow them. It works like rocket fuel as its an extra kick rather than a necessity.

My marathon runner client started eating naturally, stopped carb loading and increased his carbohydrate intake by one extra carrot pre race and took 20 mins of a time he'd been doing consistantly for many years.

My triathlete increased her protein as recommended (took a while to convince her) and took 30 seconds of her sprint swim time in training.

Eat as naturally as you can, work on an 80/20 rule, drink your beer BUT and if you don't want a big butt or a budweiser belly realise the effect it will have on your blood sugar level and make sure you combine it with adequate protein. Steak and a pint not that bad a diet really is it..

Eat as naturally as you can, work on an 80/20 rule, drink your beer BUT and if you don't want a big butt or a budweiser belly realise the effect it will have on your blood sugar level and make sure you combine it with adequate protein.

That's you knackered already Copey.....;-)

Too much of a generalisation, it's a balance of nutrition, Proteins and Carbs. Whereas 10 years ago a pro cyclist might have scoffed his way through 7000 to 10,000 Calories a day it's now probably 5000 to 7000 because of the understanding in how carbs are absorbed and how protein levels assist the absorbtion aand physical use of carbs.

Many Many moons ago I used to swim competitively and trained 5 hours a day most days, 2 hours before school, an hour at lunch and 2 more after school. I'd eat 6000+ cals a day to fuel swimming up to 8000M a day but more than80% of what we ate back then was carbs, boxes of mars bars and other sweets were it and most likely the cause of my rotten teeth and less than dynamic shape.... :thumbup:

Main point is, everyone's individual optimum diet is specific to them, you can only take a guide from what people tell you or advise, lots of trial and error involved. One study I read recently suggests its a 60% protein / 40% Carb split in general though exact percentages are obviously very individual.

Did you quit training & forget to stop eating? :wub:;):D

i had a quick drink of RAW goat yogurt, :wub: even Iron guts Addict would Barf at that, try some RedBull next time Billy :thumbup:

I saw the phrase RAW goat yohgurt and felt a bit queasy, a nice goats cheese maybe but come on. I didn't realise RAW made a range of food products... ;)

:wub: even Iron guts Addict would Barf at that, try some RedBull next time Billy :thumbup:

I admit it wasn't nice, even worse when i got the order wrong and ate the lamb first and had to ride of eating lamb flavored yogurt. Worked though, i might actually mix it with the banana this year and make a proper drink. I'm not to fussed about what it looks like as long as it does its job. A practitioner i work with in San Diego who does a lot of ironmans swears by tuna and banana mixed together, which makes me seem normal (yeah right).

Back in the day when i worked in gyms their was a program on about bodybuilders in which one guy made tuna milkshakes (to save time??), the following day everyone was drinking them and they only stopped when i asked why they couldn't drink the shake and then eat the tuna separately.