Beta Wheel Bearings.. Removal Or Not...

totalshell

ok got my self 4 nice new bearings, for my 03 rev3.

rear wheel spindle out , 'top hats' off, how the king ell do the bearings come out? i've heated them up nothing, iv got the dust cover off, broken the cage up inside and got the centre and balls out.. how do i get the outer shell out of the hub.. HELP..

oh dear! I did the same thing but not on purpose, the bearing we were getting out was nackered and the whole inside race and bearings came out when trying to get the bearing out.

we ended up having to grin the outside race out. I dont know if anyone on here has a very good method for doing it but as far as im aware, your in for a long night!

Tom

You need to drift them out with a rod of softer metal than the hub and a hammer. Basically put the rod into the wheel hub from the opposite side to the side you want to knock the wheel bearing out of - let it rest on the bearing inside shoulder and crack it with a hammer - work your way around and it should pop out.

To put a new bearing in just lay it into the wheel hub housing - put a socket over it that is the right size to sit over the outside rim of the bearing but small enough to slip inside the hob bearing housing and gently tap it home.

Alternatively if you are still stuck try searching 'You Tube' - there is usually a tutorial for anything & everything on there.

Hope this helps.

jim

i've changed dozen of car and bike bearings before but these are my first Betas and they are a .. with only the outer race remaining there is no shoulder to 'attack' as they sit on a slim ledge

cutting the things out looks the only way, although i read elsewhere on here of a couple of guys who put a bead of weld on the inside and used that to batter the thing out..

Find a lathe.............make a drift the same profile as the top hat spacers so it fits inside internal hub spacer.

Then insert & knock out opposite side bearing.

Some use expanding bolt fitted inside tube & hit that. sonuds messy.

Easy in the end.

30 seconds of mapp gas on each corner and the thing dropped out.. i mean dropped out.. new bearings in the freezer overnight ( next to the peas) in a sealed plastic bag so they dont get any moisture in.

thanks for all the innovative ideas.. like the rawl plug its crude but effective i dare say.

now what can come off next..

Easy in the end.

30 seconds of mapp gas on each corner and the thing dropped out.. i mean dropped out.. new bearings in the freezer overnight ( next to the peas) in a sealed plastic bag so they dont get any moisture in.

thanks for all the innovative ideas.. like the rawl plug its crude but effective i dare say.

now what can come off next..

The plastic bag is a waste of time. Moisture forms on the bearing from the atmosphere after you take the bearing out of the freezer - it's bone dry inside a freezer.